Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
Aug 17, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #2,506 of 2,676
the mdr-ma900 is an insanely capable headphone.
it really is something else with the resistor network bypassed, cable replaced/shortened, and plugged into a low distortion, HQ amp that can handle the low impedance after the resistor mod (which means high current requirement).
the magni 2 uber that i've had for a long time is kinda crap. I heard the ma900 'grain' that people have been describing. I just finished soldering an amp known as "the wire" or "wire with gain". no caps in the signal path (my source has no DC offset, or it's in sub-microvolt range). it's lifted all my headphones to the skies. no longer do my ears get overwhelmed during intense passages. headphones don't "choke"
ma900 is kinda like the hd650 that evolves with better equipment
the imaging is just incredible on this. granted you placed them on your head exactly right (so both ears get the most equal sound wave) without glasses on (duh What) or hair in the way (seriously)
the way this huge driver moves air is to thank for what I'm hearing, I think
again I'm repeating myself, but drums/percussion sounds awesome
highs are gentle but incredibly detailed and undistorted
sound is just BIG. the BASS is big. and it goes deep.
everything sounds kinda intimate but the soundstage is kinda wide at the same time. uncongested/inclaustrophobic is the adjective
instruments have well defined locations and space between them
there's this awesome holographic effect, a sense of depth in the sound. I hear how each instrument is on its own "depth layer" on some tracks, sometimes slightly behind the ears
a headphone just perfect for jazz, but it's great with everything. just sit and analyse what every musician is doing
I think a huge number of people who have disliked this didn't put it on right or didn't use proper equipment in the chain...
VOCALS!!

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #2,507 of 2,676
the mdr-ma900 is an insanely capable headphone.
it really is something else with the resistor network bypassed, cable replaced/shortened, and plugged into a low distortion, HQ amp that can handle the low impedance after the resistor mod (which means high current requirement).
the magni 2 uber that i've had for a long time is kinda crap. I heard the ma900 'grain' that people have been describing. I just finished soldering an amp known as "the wire" or "wire with gain". no caps in the signal path (my source has no DC offset, or it's in sub-microvolt range). it's lifted all my headphones to the skies. no longer do my ears get overwhelmed during intense passages. headphones don't "choke"
ma900 is kinda like the hd650 that evolves with better equipment
the imaging is just incredible on this. granted you placed them on your head exactly right (so both ears get the most equal sound wave) without glasses on (duh What) or hair in the way (seriously)
the way this huge driver moves air is to thank for what I'm hearing, I think
again I'm repeating myself, but drums/percussion sounds awesome
highs are gentle but incredibly detailed and undistorted
sound is just BIG. the BASS is big. and it goes deep.
everything sounds kinda intimate but the soundstage is kinda wide at the same time. uncongested/inclaustrophobic is the adjective
instruments have well defined locations and space between them
there's this awesome holographic effect, a sense of depth in the sound. I hear how each instrument is on its own "depth layer" on some tracks, sometimes slightly behind the ears
a headphone just perfect for jazz, but it's great with everything. just sit and analyse what every musician is doing
I think a huge number of people who have disliked this didn't put it on right or didn't use proper equipment in the chain...
VOCALS!!
Thank you for the report.
You convinced me to try the resistor mod, moreover because I have three MA900 (one in use and two factory sealed as backups, I mean I hope they are in there, did not X-ray the boxes)...
So I will be able to compare modded and un-modded directly with the Mojo or TT2 as they have 2/3 outputs.
Before modding, I will first compare two un-modded, and wait for some eventual burn-in to make sure they are equal before modding.
I think the MA900 pairs very well with the Mojo, but I plan to upgrade soon to a TT2, and I hope it will improve all my headphones including the MA900. Your report, including the mention of high current requirement of modded version, makes me more confident of that.

The MA900 takes 90% of my ear time, also because I use it also for everything non-music, including youtube, etc. That is why of the total seven headphones I have, three are MA900. I will not risk being without it.
The MA900 comfort is unbeatable to me (except the F1, but little bass there) because I am very sensitive to heat and the MA900 being really open never gets hot. I can use the MA900 literally a full day. However I have added two small mods: padding below the pad so that the ear never touches anything, and two stoppers on the band so that the set extension does not change (it tended to annoyingly retract slowly with time).

Regarding your mention of jazz and multiple instruments, one recording that I find most wonderful with the MA900 and Mojo is this one:

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #2,509 of 2,676
Lol that's interesting find indeed

Aug 31, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #2,513 of 2,676
I did the opposite. I added extra padding underneath the original pads, so that my ears never touch the drivers.
In any case (with or without extra padding) we can get the ear closer (and touching the driver) by sliding the cups back and forth. It may be less than ideal as the driver is no longer centered on the ear canal, but it works as a simulation of being closer and farther.
And yes the sound may be a little more intense, better, when drivers are on ear, but just a little and for me it does not make up for the loss in comfort. Comfort is always top priority for me. After all MA900, although very good, is not the best sounding headphone in the world, but is the most comfortable, that is why it is wonderful to me: being so comfortable while still having such a vivid, exciting, musical sound.

Oct 3, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #2,514 of 2,676
Finally found a pair at a good price. Modified with a removable cable, rewired to run balanced, and some extremely nice sheepskin pads. Loving the sound and can't wait to pick up a balanced cable for them. Absolutely love the way the mix between channels is set up (the slight bleed into the opposite ear) really helps with the staging. This has been one of my endgame sets for quite a while, so I'm extremely happy to finally have them on hand.

Oct 4, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #2,515 of 2,676
Finally found a pair at a good price. Modified with a removable cable, rewired to run balanced, and some extremely nice sheepskin pads. Loving the sound and can't wait to pick up a balanced cable for them. Absolutely love the way the mix between channels is set up (the slight bleed into the opposite ear) really helps with the staging. This has been one of my endgame sets for quite a while, so I'm extremely happy to finally have them on hand.

I had the ma900 twice and both had a specific bass note that they couldn't handle at about 80hz or so. So as much as I loved the size and comfort, I returned them.
Tony

Oct 4, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #2,516 of 2,676
I had the ma900 twice and both had a specific bass note that they couldn't handle at about 80hz or so. So as much as I loved the size and comfort, I returned them.
Tony
What do you mean by "handle"? Do you mean a dip in the FR?
I tried just now the MA900 with this tone generator https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/
and moving the slider back and forward I cannot find any issue around 80Hz (or any other frequency).

Oct 4, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #2,517 of 2,676
What do you mean by "handle"? Do you mean a dip in the FR?
I tried just now the MA900 with this tone generator https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/
and moving the slider back and forward I cannot find any issue around 80Hz (or any other frequency).

The bass would break up, it would sound bad. It didn't do it with every song just those that had a specific bass note. The vocals we're awesome and I loved them since I love vocals but bass was the issue. I couldn't get to pound without distortion. So I returned the first pair. One year later I repurchased a used pair. Same issue. So I gave up on them. I really wanted to love them.
I have several portable amps like the fiio e12, the A5 and the cayin c5.
As for daps, the Sony Walkman ZX2, the Fiio X7 Mk2 back then. Now I have more amps n daps. Anyhow if I decide one more time they are out of reach in price. It's to big of a high price to pay for a used set and won't be able to return to seller.
Tony

Oct 4, 2019 at 11:42 PM Post #2,518 of 2,676
What are the chance that the used pair you bought... Are the same one you returned?

Oct 5, 2019 at 3:11 AM Post #2,519 of 2,676
Just tested mine as well and had no issue in that region either. That's extremely odd that you'd receive 2 with the same flaw. Haven't had any issues in listening, though they did just reveal to me that one of my favorite vinyl rips has some awful buzz in the right channel that I haven't noticed on other headphones or my iems...so now I have to re-rip that one.

Oct 5, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #2,520 of 2,676
Just tested mine as well and had no issue in that region either. That's extremely odd that you'd receive 2 with the same flaw. Haven't had any issues in listening, though they did just reveal to me that one of my favorite vinyl rips has some awful buzz in the right channel that I haven't noticed on other headphones or my iems...so now I have to re-rip that one.

I remember reading about my issue in a lengthy forum which eludes me right now but many agreed with me that they had the same issues with a specific bass note. I believe it was in the area of 70-90 hz but don't quote me on that. So several have modified the inner crossover chip inside the ma900 by bypassing it and claim a better sound. I was very scared to do that and mess them up since the pictures weren't completely clear to me in how to do it.
Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Back