Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
Jul 2, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #2,326 of 2,677
honestly found the MA900's treble more irritating
First time I hear this... as that part is definitely designed to be non irritating for basically anything you feed to it.
Or are you irritated because of it's roll off and tendency to mask detail and imperfection instead?

That remark about the AKG v Beyer is very interesting though... I'll see just how far Beyer has depart from their house sound which frankly I never find to suit my taste that much (770, COP, 880 etc that I've tried, don't really like em. Liked the T1, but for different reasons). Amiron and DT1990 for a try it is :)

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #2,327 of 2,677
A First time I hear this... as that part is definitely designed to be non irritating for Anything you feed to it.
Or are you irritated because of it's roll off and tendency to mask detail and imperfection instead?

I found the lower treble and upper midrange rough sounding and caused listening fatigue for me. Honestly think the impedance resistor was part of the problem. I honestly found headphones that are more revealing of the source but are also tuned right(as in not too bright) tend to be the least fatiguing to my ears. The reason I settled on the DT 1990 and Amiron is because they have been some of the least fatiguing headphones to my ears, even less than the HD 600/650 despite the Beyers being more dynamic, detailed, and vivid.

I'm actually not a huge fan of the DT 880, DT 990, etc. They have a treble issue that tends to irritate my ears with any amount of extended listening. I like them, but they all seem to have some 10khz region problem that bothers me long term.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #2,328 of 2,677
Hooo.. is it that the because of grain? For me, I love the upper midrange presentation of the MA900 instead. It's definitely thje most unfatiguing headphone I've ever owned.

I guess it's case of different strokes for different folks again.

Jul 2, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #2,329 of 2,677
Hooo.. is it that the because of grain? For me, I love the upper midrange presentation of the MA900 instead. It's definitely thje most unfatiguing headphone I've ever owned.

I guess it's case of different strokes for different folks again.

It probably is because the K712 didn't really bother me and it has a forward upper midrange, I actually really like the K712, so I assume it has to do with grain or something. A forward upper midrange isn't actually fatiguing to me. I find it weird how the same headphone can be extremely fatiguing to some while not fatiguing to others. It just means different people are fatigued by different things, I'm not very sensitive to FR response fatigue wise but I am sensitive to grain, etc. fatigue wise. As to why this is the case, I have no clue.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017 at 2:39 AM Post #2,330 of 2,677
This discussion has opened up a few options for me like DT 1990 pro and K712. However, I have come across few other reviews and am also about thinking about going over my budget of 1000$ and getting HD800 S as an endgame headphone (i am not a collector, just wanna keep 1 or 2 heaphones). They seem to have most of things i am looking for in MA900 upgrade ( comfort, large sound stage, detailed sound) and also are supposedly warmer and non fatiguing as compared to HD800. My only concern would be bass quality and quantity.

Can anyone who has listened to both compare sound signature of HD800S and MA900 ?

Jul 7, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #2,331 of 2,677
This discussion has opened up a few options for me like DT 1990 pro and K712. However, I have come across few other reviews and am also about thinking about going over my budget of 1000$ and getting HD800 S as an endgame headphone (i am not a collector, just wanna keep 1 or 2 heaphones). They seem to have most of things i am looking for in MA900 upgrade ( comfort, large sound stage, detailed sound) and also are supposedly warmer and non fatiguing as compared to HD800. My only concern would be bass quality and quantity.

Can anyone who has listened to both compare sound signature of HD800S and MA900 ?

no takers ?

Jul 7, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #2,332 of 2,677

I am a huge MA900 fanboy

Obviously :wink:

ma4.png

HD800..
The size, weight (not that bad) and tendency to project wide stages on everything, Jazz quartet recorded live in a club but sound like it is middle stage at Madison Square garden???...nah...no thanks

However of the ones you mentioned 1990,712 or 800 I would take the 800. Then again i take the 900 over all of those so my opinion is pretty useless. Buuuuuut I gave it anyway :)

Jul 7, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #2,333 of 2,677
I am a huge MA900 fanboy

Obviously :wink:

HD800..
The size, weight (not that bad) and tendency to project wide stages on everything, Jazz quartet recorded live in a club but sound like it is middle stage at Madison Square garden???...nah...no thanks

However of the ones you mentioned 1990,712 or 800 I would take the 800. Then again i take the 900 over all of those so my opinion is pretty useless. Buuuuuut I gave it anyway :)

Yo, what are those earpads on your MA900 and how they change the sound? Need to replace mine. Thanks!

Jul 7, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #2,335 of 2,677
I know they are different sorts of headphones but which would people rather between these and the Sony mdr z7?

Jul 7, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #2,336 of 2,677
HD800..

Thats interesting, may be too big a sound stage can be bad thing, i guess. I was not considering HD800 anyway because of infamous treble spike but latest version HD800S supposedly makes is warmer with smoother treble while keeping the detail and reportedly having more defined soundstage.

Thats why i wanted a comparison of sound signature of HD800S and MA900. I would expect HD800S to have more detail and better treble but i am not sure how they compare on bass, mids and soundstage. Size and weight are not big issues for me as they are universally reported to be comfortable.

Jul 8, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #2,337 of 2,677
I know they are different sorts of headphones but which would people rather between these and the Sony mdr z7?
If you're asking which I'd keep if I could only have one pair, it'd be the Z7. I own both and both modded btw. The Z7 has better bass by a mile, better highs, mids, everything except width of the soundstage. The Z7 drivers are fundamentally better than the MA900 drivers. That said the Z7 are in a totally different price class and imo should be considered more as the next step up. And the next step after the Z7 is the Z1R. I use the MA900 as a daily use can as they are easier to wear, are open so I can hear the environment around me. But for those late nights and serious listening sessions, its the Z7.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #2,338 of 2,677
^ that might be a good progression to follow... as it is also the path of Sony's 70mm driver sibling :).
If you can find a good condition used Z7 they can go at such a bargain price these days

Users who are viewing this thread

Back