Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
Apr 15, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #2,297 of 2,677
Hrm? First time I hear people describe MA900 sound as U shaped, Especially with the bass that's kinda a tiny bit shy and treble that's non fatiguing..
752e8f2d4a51db2b66c76b795d9ec0a4.png

The Philips on the other hand ...
philips-fidelio-x2-vs-x1-review-measurements.png

Ah wait, I think you were describing the X2, not the Sony right? Correct me if I'm wrong...
Also, how's your impression so far with both? I remember enjoying the X2, but its more of a "standard" headphone and isn't as unique, either in build and sound, as the MA900, so I chose to moved off it, but I never did manage to do a A/B test with both present, so curious with your opinion on it

Didn't really like it at first but it's growing on me. I like the DT880 more than either though.

The MA900's bass is one of its more understated qualities I think. The mids are good and all but honestly I think it's the soundstage doing most of the work.

Edit:

Sr225e came in today. I've been listening to the Fidelio X2 70% of the last week or two, and switching to the Grado is quite umm interesting. They're pretty much complete opposites.

May 4, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #2,298 of 2,677
Didn't really like it at first but it's growing on me. I like the DT880 more than either though.

The MA900's bass is one of its more understated qualities I think. The mids are good and all but honestly I think it's the soundstage doing most of the work.

Edit:

Sr225e came in today. I've been listening to the Fidelio X2 70% of the last week or two, and switching to the Grado is quite umm interesting. They're pretty much complete opposites.
My experience with Grado are alright, tried a couple of SR80 and MS2. Also, I own an SR60e for a year, it serve me good during that duration, giving me all the speed and energy that I want when I'm in the mood... but After the MA900 comes over It felt tiny and lacking in "room" for lack of better word, did try to pad roll to the L, G - cushion, and quarter mods some Comfort pads, but it never did manage to change the sound enough and give me that extra "space" I was looking for. It's the 70mm driver changing my perspective after few weeks with the Sony as daily maybe?
By chance I got a K702 to play with and only by then do I feel the sense of space as good enough while staying speedy and intimate. kept the K702, the Grado is out.

Now the SR60e are kept by my father back at home, It's one of the few "audiophile grade" gear of mine that he actually like. He's quite a frugal person (even the entry lvl Grado is too expensive for him), prefer to play around with speaker than headphone).
Well, yeah, the MA900 change a couple of things in my collection.

Last edited:
May 6, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #2,299 of 2,677
Bass is small, not overwhelming, doesn't make ear fatigued, still good when punchy rock songs or metal songs are being played, but for less bass lover like me, these are great, after 4 years, I still can't find headphones to replace these, probably I never need anything else, once I tried ma900! Happy buyer..

May 8, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #2,301 of 2,677
Bass is small, not overwhelming, doesn't make ear fatigued, still good when punchy rock songs or metal songs are being played, but for less bass lover like me, these are great, after 4 years, I still can't find headphones to replace these, probably I never need anything else, once I tried ma900! Happy buyer..
While they don't necessarily replace the MA900, the HE400S is a pretty good sounding headphone offering a similar sound. Smaller soundstage of course, but imo a better midrange. IME they needed an amp, though others may tell you different. The comfort is good, but can totally see how others may find them uncomfortable (Clamp, earpad material).

May 9, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #2,302 of 2,677
While they don't necessarily replace the MA900, the HE400S is a pretty good sounding headphone offering a similar sound. Smaller soundstage of course, but imo a better midrange. IME they needed an amp, though others may tell you different. The comfort is good, but can totally see how others may find them uncomfortable (Clamp, earpad material).

That's a great set.

Stick with my ma-900...but that is a great set :)

May 9, 2017 at 2:34 AM Post #2,303 of 2,677
Any trusted seller on amazon selling these?

May 10, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #2,306 of 2,677
I second that question... have a Hybrid non angled, and I can never make it fit in... I hear some people do manage, but they must've stretch it out quite far... Can anyone that has been able to do so clarify this?

May 11, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #2,308 of 2,677

Brainwavz non angled pads on my MA 900

Just pull the pads over the earcups, it's so easily done

Ears dont touch the inside of earcups anymore, and if any, sound changes (to my ears) are more pronounced upper mids / lower highs

Does it has the same size as the Velour ones? I already stretched the part where you shoot it in the slot but it still doesn't fit. Given that its an oval compared to the circular shape of the MA900. :/

May 11, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #2,310 of 2,677
^ I finally had the courage to stretch the pads it does fit! Another question: did you remove the included driver cover of the pads? Not really good at describing what I hear but it seems to me the highs became a bit harsh using these pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back