Sony MDR-M1ST - Sony's 2019 Studio Monitor Headphone
Nov 29, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #91 of 207
They were the first i tried because they're even more comfortable than the 1A's, unfortunately they're built differently from the 1A's pads in that the memory foam in the pads is bonded to the plastic ring that locks the pad to the ear cups and trying to take the pad off the ring will destroy them.
understood.
it's not designed to be changed.
however if pads are damaged from long wearing or whatever, how they can be changed?
i believe it's read on manual to 1am2 that pads are spendable parts of headphones and its condition may deteriorate in time.
personally i wish pads on mark2 to be more thick, so that protecting plastic membrane had no chance of touching my ears as it happens during prolonged
listening sessions.

Nov 30, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #92 of 207
understood.
it's not designed to be changed.
however if pads are damaged from long wearing or whatever, how they can be changed?
i believe it's read on manual to 1am2 that pads are spendable parts of headphones and its condition may deteriorate in time.
personally i wish pads on mark2 to be more thick, so that protecting plastic membrane had no chance of touching my ears as it happens during prolonged
listening sessions.

The earpads on the MDR-1AM2 can be removed from that headphone (I made this video showing how this can be done: ) - however they’re made in such a fashion that they can’t be repurposed to be used in any other headphone, as I mentioned above

Nov 30, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #93 of 207
The earpads on the MDR-1AM2 can be removed from that headphone (I made this video showing how this can be done: ) - however they’re made in such a fashion that they can’t be repurposed to be used in any other headphone, as I mentioned above

wow! very grateful!
are there thicker pads available on market that will suit mdr1am2?)))

Nov 30, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #94 of 207

https://www.amazon.com/Geekria-Replacement-MDR-1AM2-Headphone-Cushion/dp/B07YDBTZYV
I am not sure if these pads are thicker or not.. or not as soft as original. (i mean it will be harder to press in order to touch ear with speaker membrane)
do u recommend?

one more model
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...expid=54aaefe1-4a3f-4a1e-a442-be4b8c63b8f3-17

Nov 30, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #95 of 207
Nov 30, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #96 of 207
I got this pair [ mdr-m1st ], a couple of weeks ago. Initially, is reminded me of 1. Sony headphones sounds from the early 1990s, , and 2. Very flat sounding, which is par for the course, regarding a top request, by proverbial critical headphone snobs. Now, about 2 and a half weeks later, they seemed to developed a fair amount of burn in, and they remind of a better sounding Sony mdr-v55 ( without the pitiful build quality of v55s, luckily), once it has burned in. Note: I owned 2 v55 pairs, and both literally fell almost immediately, something that doesn't seem possible with my mdr-m1st model, thank god (!) ...
considering the m1st costs roughly 5 and half times as much as the v55, a pair of low budget supposed dj headphones. In general, the m1st now sounds semi neutral, as well as amplified, post semi burn in. The inner pad grill does rest on your ears, something several users dislike, for me, I am mostly indifferent about this. The pads, can grow a little bit warm after time using the headphones. I bought velour replacement pads, have not swapped the stock pads yet. I am also going to pick up protein leather perforated aftermarket pads too. Going to use the stock pads till they are no longer usable, before changing them. It is a shame that the m1st does not include a male to male 3.5 mm cable in the box. NOTE: feel free to ask me any questions you might have here. Cheers & godspeed @ everyone! 6-30-20.

The M1ST has the same pin out as the MDR-1A family - so you can use the same cables that those come with, including the 4.4mm balanced cable that comes with the MDR-1AM2 if you want to run it balanced

Nov 30, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #97 of 207
The M1ST w Brainwavz leather oval pads are really doing the job. Theses fit on the HPs more securely than the Ether pads and I think they’re a bit more comfy too.

Now for some impressions. This headphone has a very refined sound. It is detailed, with excellent resolution that rivals some of the better mid range headphones available for purchase. With pad changes to the Ether C pads or the Brainwavz Oval the bass performance increases quite a bit. Sony really did these HPs a disservice outfitting them w the pads they came w. Listening to Beethoven nothing is missed. The drivers keep up with complex sections effortlessly and stay composed, separating instruments really nicely. Fine details are rendered well and macro dynamics are there giving a sense of aliveness/life-like quality to music. The mids are full so there’s nice body to notes, but they’re not so in your face so as to sound shouty. The treble is really excellent on these HPs. There’s a sense of air and spaciousness on orchestral pieces, and nice body w just enough bite, and not harsh or shrill in any way. The bass is just north of neutral and goes pretty deep. Again, refinement is the key word here, as this headphone is really good at rendering different bass textures accurately. It’s not a bass cannon type of pair, but when called upon it can get down into the depths nicely (above pad changes noted is required for this tho). The stand out qualities here are M1ST’s ability to separate, image and layer instruments. It has a way of presenting musical sections that is so precise, with quick attack/decay. It’s really similar to the performance of the IER-M9 in this regard, just really top notch.

Some people called this HP boring and I couldn’t disagree more with this thinking, but I understand those comments if they stuck w the stock pads. The stock pads handicap this headphone greatly. I can’t emphasize this enough. With the Brainwavz Oval I’m hearing a very competent HP that I can fully recommend. I think the M1ST legit rivals the HD6 series given the performance, and I don’t say that lightly. It’s just about perfect in tonality. So happy i took a chance on it. Hope this helps people considering it! Happy listening!

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 1:58 AM Post #99 of 207
Dec 6, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #100 of 207
The stock pads are not as horrendous as you guys make it sound, I don't find midrange problems or bass problems with stock pad. I have the Brainwavz Oval leather and Yaxi Pro-M ST and I think I prefer stock so far. The Yaxi pads are all treble and the Brainwavz need a tight seal in order to sound their best, they still up the treble a little bit and up the midbass compared to stock pad. I hate excess midbass.

The cd900st is a better value but you just don't get the fine resolution of better headphones. The m1st gives you the resoution but to my ears is less neutral, less forgiving, and with the wrong pads more fatiguing.

That said I am in love with the m1st so far, wish Sony put out more quality like this. If you are a fan of the x00 sound however, the Fostex will have the Sony's beat imo.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #101 of 207
The stock pads are not as horrendous as you guys make it sound, I don't find midrange problems or bass problems with stock pad...

Honestly my only problem with the stock pads wasn’t sound related, it was feeling the driver on the cartilage in my ear. I just feel they’re not deep enough, much like the stock Fostex T50 pads.

I got myself a pair of the Yaxi stPad2 and they’re fabulous, just enough depth for me

Dec 6, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #102 of 207
The stock pads are not as horrendous as you guys make it sound, I don't find midrange problems or bass problems with stock pad. I have the Brainwavz Oval leather and Yaxi Pro-M ST and I think I prefer stock so far. The Yaxi pads are all treble and the Brainwavz need a tight seal in order to sound their best, they still up the treble a little bit and up the midbass compared to stock pad. I hate excess midbass.

The cd900st is a better value but you just don't get the fine resolution of better headphones. The m1st gives you the resoution but to my ears is less neutral, less forgiving, and with the wrong pads more fatiguing.

That said I am in love with the m1st so far, wish Sony put out more quality like this. If you are a fan of the x00 sound however, the Fostex will have the Sony's beat imo.

Just goes to show how we all enjoy sounds differently. I too noticed and actually like the added warmth the Brainwavz pads give the M1ST. Perhaps I’ll give the stock pads another brief shot, though I’m pretty sure the comfort issue alone will push me back to the Brainwavz.

Dec 21, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #103 of 207
MDR-M1ST_003.jpg
MDR-M1ST_002.jpg
image01.jpg
DSC00029.jpg
DSC00197.jpg
DSC00210.jpg

http://www.smci.jp/s/headp/news/detail/10023?ima=5122
https://www.phileweb.com/news/d-av/201906/29/47798.html
https://www.phileweb.com/review/article/201908/24/3550.html

Sony has created a new professional monitoring headphone!

According to the press release (thanks to Google Translate), the MDR-M1ST has been in development for 4 1/2 years!

Looks-wise, it combines Sony's current headphone design aesthetic with Sony's classic studio headphone designs of the past, like the MDR-7506 and the Japan-only MDR-CD900ST.

Also, it uses a 4-pole 3.5mm connector on the headphone itself, which suggests that the MDR-M1ST should be capable of using a balanced cable. :grinning:

I'll update this as more info becomes available.

Update - The MDR-M1ST will be Made in Japan, so their build quality should be excellent! :flag_jp:
Update - The MDR-M1ST will only be available for purchase in Japan, but of course it will be sold by third-party exporters in other regions.
Update - The MDR-M1ST will be released on 7-23-19.

Specs:
Driver - 40mm
Sensitivity - 103 dB/mW
Impedance - 24Ω (1kHz)
Weight - 215g
Price - 31,500 yen (approx. $300)

Oh, wow! How is it even possible I'm only seeing these a year after their release?! Had MDR-V6 and absolutely loved them. Thanks for the post.

May 1, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #105 of 207
A recent in-depth review by @sandalaudio (it is in Japanese, so the use of Google translate is suggested).
The article includes some measurements on impedance & phase curve as well.

I've also found out a Japanese measurement of the FR: https://ameblo.jp/eruna-captor/entry-12514871205.html

Looks not bad

Crinacle.com added some measurements as well https://crinacle.com/graphs/headphones/sony-mdr-m1st/
Looks pretty consistent with user impressions.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back