Sony MDR-M1ST - Sony's 2019 Studio Monitor Headphone
Sep 8, 2019 at 11:07 PM Post #61 of 207
The twist around 10k on the CD900ST is certainly better on the M1ST but the bass maybe more bumpy and above 15k it could be hissing. Guess it would be better with yaxi pads (or if they release stPads for the M1 in the future that'll definitely be welcomed)

Sep 9, 2019 at 4:00 AM Post #62 of 207
I particularly enjoyed your reviews of the JVC MX100Z and SW01.
How does it compare to the MX100Z ?

Thanks.
They both have the bouncy subwoofer style bass that really feels like it is coming from the housing reflex port.
Also they both deliberately avoid harsh sibilance and try not to be too fatiguing.

The main difference for me is that the M1ST tries too much to be a neutral monitor, and sounds too constrained like nothing is allowed to stick out.
I think it is great for actual monitoring applications, like when you do narration foldback or microphone setup, but it sounds quite boring for listening to music.

MX100Z has this warm rich overtones that makes it sound really nice, almost too nice to be called a monitor. The timing is sloppy (particularly the bass always feels slow) and the details are a bit blurry. However it just sounds great for long hours of listening to not-so-well-recorded piece of music.

Sep 10, 2019 at 6:59 PM Post #63 of 207
Last edited:
Sep 12, 2019 at 4:37 AM Post #65 of 207
Anyone can compare it with something like the DT1770?

Apr 17, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #68 of 207
Jeez, got these out of curiosity, all the way from Japan, im not sure if to laugh or cry..
What a massive missed opportunity to improve on a legend.
No treble at all, i mean, on purpose, completely nada!
Not to mention all other tuning choices
If anyone in UK,EU want these, please PM
I ended up buying another 7506, hadn’t heard them for years, way way better!

Apr 19, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #70 of 207
Jeez, got these out of curiosity, all the way from Japan, im not sure if to laugh or cry..
What a massive missed opportunity to improve on a legend.
No treble at all, i mean, on purpose, completely nada!
Not to mention all other tuning choices

How old are you? Not trying to start a fight, asking because curious.Not a wee-lad myself anymore and I've noticed my high freq hearing has started to go down (natural).

Just trying to assess where you are coming from?

7506 was (the last time I tried some years ago) way too bright for my ears.

YMMV, of course.

Apr 19, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #71 of 207
How old are you? Not trying to start a fight, asking because curious.Not a wee-lad myself anymore and I've noticed my high freq hearing has started to go down (natural).

Just trying to assess where you are coming from?

7506 was (the last time I tried some years ago) way too bright for my ears.

YMMV, of course.
No, I’m afraid nothing to do with my hearing, we are talking either a faulty one which I doubt since its made in Japan and was sealed etc or the weirdest tuning choice I’ve ever come across in the headphone world and trust me, noone else in UK has bought as many pairs as i have over some 20 years😅
The 7506 i got few days ago from Amazon didn’t seem as bright as I remembered it, my previous pair was faulty and like you i heard it a few years ago last. I just fancied going back for the memories but was surprised how good they still are. Not good like Denon 9200 or Ultrasone 25 but surprisingly enjoyable, especially with pure analogue like a top cassette walkman like DD9 etc
The M1ST i got is just wrong! In any sense of the word and treble is intentionally tuned down..a lot plus sub bass almost doesn’t exist there, i was shocked, honestly, big big Japanese mystery 😅

May 5, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #73 of 207
No, I’m afraid nothing to do with my hearing, we are talking either a faulty one which I doubt since its made in Japan and was sealed etc or the weirdest tuning choice I’ve ever come across in the headphone world and trust me, noone else in UK has bought as many pairs as i have over some 20 years😅
The 7506 i got few days ago from Amazon didn’t seem as bright as I remembered it, my previous pair was faulty and like you i heard it a few years ago last. I just fancied going back for the memories but was surprised how good they still are. Not good like Denon 9200 or Ultrasone 25 but surprisingly enjoyable, especially with pure analogue like a top cassette walkman like DD9 etc
The M1ST i got is just wrong! In any sense of the word and treble is intentionally tuned down..a lot plus sub bass almost doesn’t exist there, i was shocked, honestly, big big Japanese mystery 😅
Did you end up selling these? I'm sort of intrigued.

Jun 30, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #75 of 207
Anyone got their hands on it yet? :)
I got this pair [ mdr-m1st ], a couple of weeks ago. Initially, is reminded me of 1. Sony headphones sounds from the early 1990s, , and 2. Very flat sounding, which is par for the course, regarding a top request, by proverbial critical headphone snobs. Now, about 2 and a half weeks later, they seemed to developed a fair amount of burn in, and they remind of a better sounding Sony mdr-v55 ( without the pitiful build quality of v55s, luckily), once it has burned in. Note: I owned 2 v55 pairs, and both literally fell almost immediately, something that doesn't seem possible with my mdr-m1st model, thank god (!) ...
considering the m1st costs roughly 5 and half times as much as the v55, a pair of low budget supposed dj headphones. In general, the m1st now sounds semi neutral, as well as amplified, post semi burn in. The inner pad grill does rest on your ears, something several users dislike, for me, I am mostly indifferent about this. The pads, can grow a little bit warm after time using the headphones. I bought velour replacement pads, have not swapped the stock pads yet. I am also going to pick up protein leather perforated aftermarket pads too. Going to use the stock pads till they are no longer usable, before changing them. It is a shame that the m1st does not include a male to male 3.5 mm cable in the box. NOTE: feel free to ask me any questions you might have here. Cheers & godspeed @ everyone! 6-30-20.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back