Sony MDR-M1ST - Sony's 2019 Studio Monitor Headphone
May 19, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #108 of 207
Yes indeed it certainly is them :) there’s a shot that’s filmed up close and to the side of her face that confirms it.
Thanks for the confirmation.

I need/want a new studio headphone set. I would love an MDR-M1st but I cannot find them in the USA. Do you know if they Japan/Asia-only?

May 19, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #109 of 207
Thanks for the confirmation.

I need/want a new studio headphone set. I would love an MDR-M1st but I cannot find them in the USA. Do you know if they Japan/Asia-only?

They’re on Amazon Japan, you should be able to buy and import them from there

May 20, 2021 at 6:29 AM Post #112 of 207
They’re on Amazon Japan, you should be able to buy and import them from there
Thanks! There is a method to have a Japanese Amazon account that ships to the USA?

May 20, 2021 at 6:52 AM Post #113 of 207
Thanks! There is a method to have a Japanese Amazon account that ships to the USA?

You can specify a delivery address outside of Japan, and they’ll ship it there. I can get stuff delivered to the UK from Amazon JP.

May 20, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #114 of 207
I will look into that. Thanks

May 20, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #115 of 207
Amazon JP has them cheaper than the lowest eBay prices. I am somewhat surprised with that. Thanks for the recommendations @PhoenixSong and @Tsiklon !

Jun 22, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #116 of 207
Recently picked up another pair of M1ST and I have them fitted w Dekoni sheepskin earpads and this cable:

C0C92848-3AA3-43C1-897D-AAEF5A004BEE.jpeg

This combo is really doing the job nicely w Beethoven on the balanced output of the ZX300 on Direct Source. All I hoped for w this HP.

Jun 22, 2021 at 12:20 AM Post #117 of 207
Recently picked up another pair of M1ST and I have them fitted w Dekoni sheepskin earpads and this cable:

C0C92848-3AA3-43C1-897D-AAEF5A004BEE.jpeg

This combo is really doing the job nicely w Beethoven on the balanced output of the ZX300 on Direct Source. All I hoped for w this HP.
Were you using the M50x Dekoni Sheepskin pads? Curious to know if they will affect the M1ST the same way they do for the M50X https://dekoniaudio.com/audio-technica-athm50x/
Unlikely though, since the stock M1ST and M50X pads are different. But general characteristics of the Dekoni pad should remain constant with the same material and dimension specs, even with natural-occurring variances

Jun 22, 2021 at 12:41 AM Post #118 of 207
Were you using the M50x Dekoni Sheepskin pads? Curious to know if they will affect the M1ST the same way they do for the M50X https://dekoniaudio.com/audio-technica-athm50x/
Unlikely though, since the stock M1ST and M50X pads are different. But general characteristics of the Dekoni pad should remain constant with the same material and dimension specs, even with natural-occurring variances

Yes, they are the M50X pads. The word I would use to describe the sound w these is clean. I was underwhelmed at first, but after a bit I could really detect the nuances of what they were doing to the sound, which I feel is not a lot. I think these pads are just getting out of the way and allowing the headphone to do it’s thing.

Jun 22, 2021 at 1:07 AM Post #119 of 207
And let me also say, I feel I am finally able to hear this headphone do all it can, and the more I listen the more I am won over. Listening to complex tracks from Beethoven, nothing is missed. There is speed and finesse, macro and micro dynamics and layering I have hoped to hear from this HP, but could not until now.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #120 of 207
EIXZYqC.jpeg

New here and wanted to share my story with the M1ST with HartAudio Cables.
My first thought when I got these were really bad. First I could not crank the volume without distortion for some reason on my FiiO Q5s which is a great combination with only 24ohms. I'd say it took the M1ST 50h of mixed playback until I got all out of it. In that time I could not grasp the reason why everything sounded off and treble has murder peaks for my liking so I looked for pads and stumbled upon the Brainwavez Sheepskin Oval, first thing on Amazon Germany and ordered a pair. The pads are making my ears warmer than the NDH20 stock pads as comparison but increase the soundstage to at least 58x levels imo
and the Real Star -> is gaming and movies. I noticed that I could hear everything in Escape from Tarkov livestreams and potentially surpass Sennheiser 700?!

My setup changed from December. I own the FiiO Q5s for about 3 years for, at first, mainly retro gaming to get audio from RCA to 3.5mm and later Toslink from my current PC, a ryzen 3rd gen... last month I got the Topping A90 and made me able to enjoy balanced properly. The Q5s just can not do it.

I am a person who likes more neutral sound like NDH20 and M1ST and Kph30i compared to headphones like Sony WH1000XM3 which are just awful for me. Neutral here means that I like to hear everything mostly unaltered but won't complain if it is not actually neutral. The intention needs to be still in the audio....

Soundwise - I love these. The bass is probably not flat but the right amount. Mids are flat and treble is on point. After getting used to this headphone I can not use the 58x because it misses some detail and it is an open back. I quickly get pulled out of games and media from outside sounds. As I mentioned, I swapped pads and as far as I can hear, bass gets stronger and shows every new note perfectly. Mids are the best I ever have heard (sold M50x >sold Beyerdynamic Custom Studio > own 58x > own Neumann NDH20 > own KPH30i and lastly M1ST). It really made me appreciate Napalm Death where I actually could understand the vocals easily. Also Beasty Boys sounds more alive and less low res. OST like Hans Zimmer - Dreaming of the Crash AND 2049 can be played without any distortion as far as I remember. I mainly listen to Japanese music from just Pop bands, jmetal and indie but also some less Kawaii idol bands. I really dig the way synthesisers are used in Japanese songs. Also like Country music and radio classics from early 2000s and before and Punk Metal. (Korean: Black Pink, Japanese: PassCode, Yonige, Daoko, Atarashii Gakko, Reichi, Regal Lily, Chanmina, Anly and more)

My summary for the M1ST is: It is a headphone for quiet rooms due to the vent on top which make the M1ST sound more like a studio speaker setup with great accuracy, awesome timbre, great sound stage and imaging. The sound might be exaggerated for live recording in studio to hear everything because I can hear bass guitars perfectly in nearly all songs and the separation is really good. Movies actually give some kind of subwoofer sound. I watched Edge of Tomorrow and Good Thief and it rumbles quietly.

Edit: always confuse HD700 with 800 series.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back