Sony MDR-EX71
Dec 29, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #2 of 13
You're better off just skipping by the likes of the EX71 and even the CX300. If you still want to stay in the $30 and under there are better choices. Try searching, not just here but the web also, for Creative EP-640, maximo IM-390, Meelec AI-M2 for a start at or near that price point.

Dec 29, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #3 of 13
They're both decent for their respective prices. There's a lot of fakes of both floating around. IMO it's worth spending a little more for better sound quality. In the last year, I've gone from Panasonic HJE-50 earphones to Alessandro MS-1s.
smily_headphones1.gif
Be careful, Headfi is a dangerous domain. Primarily for the wallet, as many here will attest.

Dec 30, 2007 at 5:35 AM Post #5 of 13
hey sometimes ignorance is bliss...

before i knew anything about IEMs and the likes, I really loved the ex71sl...

but keep in mind of the quality issues... the cables break around 1 year of use

Dec 30, 2007 at 5:58 AM Post #6 of 13
I have plenty of bad things to say about this earbud, so I'll summarize it in one line: Don't get it.

Dec 30, 2007 at 6:14 AM Post #7 of 13
my first non-budget earphone. I really liked them. Cord eventually held together with electric tape, and now they're lost somewhere. I'd say educate yourself a little more.

Dec 30, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #8 of 13
I'd go with some Audio Technicas from audiocubes myself. They'll blow the EX71s away. I have the EX90s and they're actually outstanding phones. I haven't tried any high-end Shures or UEs yet, but I'll get around to it eventually.
wink.gif

Dec 30, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #9 of 13
I've heard them and frankly, no thanks. That's why I have the JVC HA-FX66-W instead for my "cheap" IEM.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 30, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #11 of 13
EX71s are not produced now so it's pretty hard to get genuine ones.
Besides, they are not durable: mentioned above problems with cable. Im my case cable was in perfect condition. Nevertheless, right earphone just stopped working after a year.
EX71s sound quite similar to CX300s, differences are minor.
Better bang for the buck are EP630s: they sound pretty close to CX300s and are much cheaper.

Dec 31, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #13 of 13
when i had them, i thought that they were fine. yes the bass is somewhat bloated and they didn't isolate as well as true a iem but it's not like they were total crap like some here make them out to be and they're not true iems either. they're canalphones. compared to others out there like koss plugs or marshmallows for example, they were pretty decent. at least they didn't sound muffled. at the end of the day, it's what you enjoy that's most important. if you have an opportunity give them a try. it's what head-fi is about, trying different cans and enjoying your music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back