Sony MDR-e888 "Sudden Death"
Jun 2, 2002 at 7:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

mulciber

Head-Fier
Forgive me if this belongs in the DIY forum, but it's not of a heavily technical nature.

Yesterday my 888's went south. Specifically, the left earpiece suddenly developed a "rattle" (easiest way to explain it).

It may be obvious that I'm not technically adept in this area, but I was wondering if my 888's are ready for the graveyard, or if it's worth opening them (considering my lack of technical skills and tools) to see if there's anything that can be done for them.

I have a lovely vintage pair of 565's (relatively unsung greats) and several other headphones I can use until I get my Etymotics, which should be fairly soon. But these 888's have served me very well, and at their best, they're a wonder. I hate to just chuck them.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

DGI

Jun 2, 2002 at 9:17 PM Post #2 of 3
Well, it can't get worse, so give it a try.
There have been several posts from people trying to fix rattling drivers by opening them and fixing wrinkles on the membranes. That said, I don't know if this can be done to the 888s.

Jun 2, 2002 at 9:34 PM Post #3 of 3
well, big chance you're screwed. but you could try and blow very hard against the diaphragm or osmething, trying to fix the wrinkle. if it is a wrinkle, it could be a loose diaphragm, in which case you're 100% surely screwed.

good luck
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back