Sony MDR-DS1000 Surround headphone - short review
Mar 10, 2006 at 9:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Miklos

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 17, 2004
Posts
166
Likes
10
Hello all,

I have read various comments on this forum, and also on others about surround headphones.

None of those comments mentioned the Sony MDR-DS1000 5.1 headphone set - so I thought I summarize my findings here.

The Sony MDR-DS1000 consists of two components ( see attached picture):

- a surround decoder box which decodes Dolby Digital, DTS and Dolby Prologic. It has settings for 2 different simulation modes: cinema or music. The simulation modes can be switched off. The box has both an optical input and a stereo jack in ( for dolby prologic). There are two headphone connectors with one volume control on the box.

- a very comfortable closed headphone (MDR-XD050 )

How does it work?

I was looking for a solution to use with my Xbox 360, in cases where people around me did not want to "enjoy" the various sound effects of the games. The headphone serves this purpose perfectly.

It is not a replacement for my 5.1 system, since the bass is not comparable to a subwoofer bass, and since the surround effects are not as tangible as the ones one the speakers, but there is nice bass, and there is surround.

Is it a good buy?

This headphone solved a need: being able to play video games, while not disturbing others. Therefore it is a good buy for me.

How much did it cost?

I have imported this directly from Japan ( actually: I have bought two units - and I am trying to sell one: anyone interested?). I have paid $130 for the set ( headphone + surround decoder + shipping charges) - an amount, which is not too excessive for what features the unit offers...

Any questions: please post here or PM me, and I will try to answer!
 
Mar 11, 2006 at 6:34 AM Post #2 of 8

Carl

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 11, 2005
Posts
5,368
Likes
16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Miklos
Hello all,

I have read various comments on this forum, and also on others about surround headphones.

None of those comments mentioned the Sony MDR-DS1000 5.1 headphone set - so I thought I summarize my findings here.

The Sony MDR-DS1000 consists of two components ( see attached picture):

- a surround decoder box which decodes Dolby Digital, DTS and Dolby Prologic. It has settings for 2 different simulation modes: cinema or music. The simulation modes can be switched off. The box has both an optical input and a stereo jack in ( for dolby prologic). There are two headphone connectors with one volume control on the box.

- a very comfortable closed headphone (MDR-XD050 )

How does it work?

I was looking for a solution to use with my Xbox 360, in cases where people around me did not want to "enjoy" the various sound effects of the games. The headphone serves this purpose perfectly.

It is not a replacement for my 5.1 system, since the bass is not comparable to a subwoofer bass, and since the surround effects are not as tangible as the ones one the speakers, but there is nice bass, and there is surround.

Is it a good buy?

This headphone solved a need: being able to play video games, while not disturbing others. Therefore it is a good buy for me.

How much did it cost?

I have imported this directly from Japan ( actually: I have bought two units - and I am trying to sell one: anyone interested?). I have paid $130 for the set ( headphone + surround decoder + shipping charges) - an amount, which is not too excessive for what features the unit offers...

Any questions: please post here or PM me, and I will try to answer!



As this is a wired unit, not a wireless one, I'd love to hear how it sounds with a better set of headphones.
 
Mar 11, 2006 at 5:29 PM Post #3 of 8

Miklos

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 17, 2004
Posts
166
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
As this is a wired unit, not a wireless one, I'd love to hear how it sounds with a better set of headphones.


The unit is wired.

I have also tried it with Sennheiser HD 201 phones and with Ety ER-4 earplugs: the sound is much better! Deeper bass ( in Ety stlye on the ER-4) and much more transparent and clear highs.

So actually this unit could also be used as a headphone amp, driven from the optical out - but I am sure that the sound quality does not compare to dedicated stereo headphone amps ( but, they also cost normally much more!)
 
Mar 11, 2006 at 8:01 PM Post #4 of 8

Carl

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 11, 2005
Posts
5,368
Likes
16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Miklos
So actually this unit could also be used as a headphone amp, driven from the optical out - but I am sure that the sound quality does not compare to dedicated stereo headphone amps ( but, they also cost normally much more!)


I wonder if putting a bypass in after the DAC would be an option? Hmm...
 
Mar 11, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #5 of 8

Miklos

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 17, 2004
Posts
166
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
I wonder if putting a bypass in after the DAC would be an option? Hmm...


I am not sure... Would you like to try? I have two units, and could sell one (at cost)...
 
Mar 12, 2006 at 8:57 AM Post #6 of 8

Carl

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 11, 2005
Posts
5,368
Likes
16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Miklos
I am not sure... Would you like to try? I have two units, and could sell one (at cost)...


I'm interested. How much?
 
Jun 2, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #8 of 8

DjAmTraX

Now known as: HiFiGuy528
Joined
Nov 2, 2010
Posts
1,578
Likes
43
I just ordered one NEW online. I plan to use it with much better headphones. It should be great to hear my DTS CDs on it.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top