Sony MDR CD780
Nov 3, 2008 at 4:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Cooler13

New Head-Fier
Hello.
I saw an add for used Sony MDR CD780 headphones. How much do you think it is worth? The seller said they are in good condition. Right now I use Sony MDR CD380 and like them a lot for they are extremely comfortable.
Also.. has anyone experience with the sound of both so he could make some comparisons?
Thank you!

Nov 3, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #2 of 15
The MDR CD780 costed 60ish € some years ago, and besides being very comfortable, it gets acoustically beaten by every Jack-and-Joe Koss KSC75. A fair price shouldn't exceed 15-20 thus.

Nov 3, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The MDR CD780 costed 60ish € some years ago, and besides being very comfortable, it gets acoustically beaten by every Jack-and-Joe Koss KSC75. A fair price shouldn't exceed 15-20 thus.

Thank you for your response. I think in your signature there are all the headphones you have listened to.. am I wrong? There is no CD780, only CD480 but that is before the KSC75 (order of preference?).
It's hard to believe the KSC75 has better SQ than the flagship of MDR CD x80, but then again everyone has his tastes. I saw you did not like SA5000. If there wouldn't be at such big prices I'd take SA5000 without a hesitation so maybe we have different requirements/likings in headphones.
I like my CD380 but want something better. I bought them new 5 years and a half ago for 37 (or 47) Euros.. I can't remember... the 780 were way much more expensive (around 100 Euro or more I think).
Any other opinions?

Nov 3, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #4 of 15
Damned, you're right, I mixed up the 480 and the 780.

But if you liked the smooth sound sig of your cheap Sony (the 380 and 480 shouldn't differ too much in that respect), you could do worse than looking for a Senn HD600 or a 2nd hand HD580. That would be a huuuge step up dead sure.

I recommend changing brand, as the build quality and exchange part prices and -availability of Sony (except the SA5K) are very questionable.

Nov 3, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But if you liked the smooth sound sig of your cheap Sony (the 380 and 480 shouldn't differ too much in that respect), you could do worse than looking for a Senn HD600 or a 2nd hand HD580. That would be a huuuge step up dead sure.

I recommend changing brand, as the build quality and exchange part prices and -availability of Sony (except the SA5K) are very questionable.

Hmm.. I also thought there is little difference between CD380 and CD480, however the CD780 are a different story (50 mm drives vs 40mm). I haven't mentioned exactly what I like about them and what your Senn recommendations lack: small price, comfort, one-wire, small impedance (I use them directly plugged in an mp3 player). The one Sennheiser I owned for a little while didn't impressed me.
I don't know what you mean by quality.. my CD380 are a symbol of quality.. they have far exceeded my expectations and had seen abuses of all kinds (snow, hot summers, rain, wind, cables horribly twisted) and are still working excellent.
I prefer listening to speakers and mostly use headphones while walking. My Sony MDR XD 400 squeak while I'm walking so I need something else.

Nov 3, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #6 of 15
Nov 4, 2008 at 7:38 AM Post #8 of 15
Thank you for your answers. I really like them. The one owner I saw before was asking about 70 dollars; it's a little much I think considering their age. In the mean time I found others
wink.gif
Wish me luck.. I WANT them
biggrin.gif

Nov 5, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #9 of 15
Do you know anyone wanting to sell them?
Unfortunately I live in Eastern Europe so I can get them harder and pricier (because of shipping costs). I'd really like to buy some. The condition is not that important to me as long as they are functional and not expensive. Anyone?
Also.. to the ones with experience: are the SA 1000 the same in comfort? And are the SA1000 aura-nomic too?
Thank you!

Nov 5, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #10 of 15
IMHO the cd580/780 differ from sony's other offering in one crucial way: there is cloth covering the "hole" the earpad makes, so this cloth covers your ear. This can put pressure on the ear even though it is a circum-aural headphone, and irritate people with non-flat ears. The SA 1/3/5k don't have this (the pad looks like a normal donut, not a jelly donut).

Just an FYI.

Nov 5, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHO the cd580/780 differ from sony's other offering in one crucial way: there is cloth covering the "hole" the earpad makes, so this cloth covers your ear. This can put pressure on the ear even though it is a circum-aural headphone, and irritate people with non-flat ears. The SA 1/3/5k don't have this (the pad looks like a normal donut, not a jelly donut).

Just an FYI.

Wow.. thank you! I didn't know that. But isn't it possible to cut that cloth or make some sort of adjustment? I finally found some good pictures with CD780:
SONY MDR-CD780
So.. are the SAx000 ones like my CD380 (are they aura-nomic)?

Nov 7, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #12 of 15
I received my Clip (Sandisk Sansa Clip) and I'm not quite ecstatic about it. It sounds good but not as good as I was hoping and anyway has lower max volume than my older mp3 player (Biostek S500). For changing the headphones that is not good news since I have to narrow my selection to lower impedance headphones.
I saw that the CD780 which seemed the ideal replacement do not share the same earpads design. I don't want something pressing on my ears even if just gently.
On the other hand there are not many headphones available around here so I'm pretty upset.
What would you recommend me do?

Nov 9, 2008 at 8:23 AM Post #13 of 15
Hello. Has anyone done an "autopsy" of CD780 so he could tell me how does it look inside? Or is there a mod to remove/pierce the cloth pressing on your ear?
Also does anyone know if the orientation of the drives is oblique as it is on CD 380 and XD400 (nearer front, farther back) ?

Nov 24, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cooler13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello. Has anyone done an "autopsy" of CD780 so he could tell me how does it look inside? Or is there a mod to remove/pierce the cloth pressing on your ear?
Also does anyone know if the orientation of the drives is oblique as it is on CD 380 and XD400 (nearer front, farther back) ?

Yes the driver is tilted in the enclosure so the front is nearly 15mm closer to your head than the back. The earpad is a 30mm thick foam donut with soft black fabric covering it. They are very comfortable headphones, like having small pillows gently clamped to your head. The cloth part is soft and easily stretched, it doesn't put any noticable pressure on my (smallish) ears.

Of the open headphones I own, I'd rank it above the KSC75 and below HD555

L3000.gif

Dec 24, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes the driver is tilted in the enclosure so the front is nearly 15mm closer to your head than the back. The earpad is a 30mm thick foam donut with soft black fabric covering it. They are very comfortable headphones, like having small pillows gently clamped to your head. The cloth part is soft and easily stretched, it doesn't put any noticable pressure on my (smallish) ears.

Of the open headphones I own, I'd rank it above the KSC75 and below HD555

L3000.gif

Thank you and all who provided me informations about the CD 780. I bought a pair and I'm quite satisfied although they were a little below my expectations. I bought a pair with about 30 hours of previous use they weren't even burned in. Their volume is lower than on my CD380 although the volume should be higher; I noticed that lately their volume have increased a bit so I hope for the best. Their clothpad is excellent for the low temperatures of this winter. They will be the headphones for low temperatures while the CD380 is reserved for high temperatures.. but I would like to replace them with a SA1000 maybe.
I'm using a Sansa Clip for the moment (a bigger disappointment) and the sound volume seems low. On a soundcard all my headphones have VERY powerfull volume, so that I listen usually around the 5-10% of the soundcard volume therefore it couldn't be my ears.
I wonder if anyone tried a Sansa Clip on SA1000 without an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back