Sony MDR-CD580
Nov 11, 2002 at 3:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Steve999

smooth, DARK
I was at the Sony outlet store in Lancaster PA this weekend, and saw the Sony MDR-CD580s for $40, refurbished. They seem to usually go for $50-$100, plus shipping etc. These are very big heavy phones and well within king dork territory. However, they are quite comfortable, considering their weight. They are front closed, open back, whatever that means. I was going to return them if I didn't like them, but I like them a lot. Instead of trying to use adjectives I'll compare them to my other favorite headphones.

The MDR-CD580s are my easiest to drive headphones, period. They are obviously easier to drive than the Sennheisier HD 497s, Sony MDR-V6s, and Grado SR60s. The Specs on the CD580s are 40 ohms at 1khz and 106 db/mw.

Sony V6s: The CD580s are first and foremost warmer than the V6s. If you A/B them it's CD580s-- warm, V6s--cold. Pianos in acoustic jazz have more prominence with the CD580s. They sound a little more tinny with the V6s. Female vocals sound a little more rich and breathy with the CD580s. You can hear breathing and the reed texture on a saxophone with the CD580s -- quite different from the V6s. The CD580s have low bass, like the V6s. The V6s low bass fits the sound of the V6 better though, so it sounds deeper and more impressive. However, the CD580s have some mid-bass emphasis that the V6s don't have. I think which is better is subjective and may vary with type of music. The CD580s seem more musical with a better soundstage than the V6s, and more accurate and balanced.

Sennheisier HD497s -- the CD580s are obviously brighter on the top end than the HD 497s. The HD497s have a super-sheen and punchy bass. Acoustic pianos are more forward on the CD580s and sound less tinny, and female vocals are more forward. The CD580s can really rock out in a low bass and bright top end way; The HD497s are more silky smooth sheen and punchy. The CD580s are warmer in the mids while the HD497s are darker overall, if that makes any sense. This is likely because the CD580s are much brighter in the treble. The CD580s have an advantage if you are listening closely and intimately to voices, piano, saxophone, etc.

Grado SR60s -- the CD580s and Grado SR60s are similar in the upper treble -- sibilants and high hats and cymbals, etc, sound similar. I'd say the CD580s are even brighter in the high treble! The Grados have a lovely and very coherent and addictive sound. Pianos on jazz recordings are less tinny with the CD580s, and female vocals are more full and rounded.

Sony CD180s -- I have been using the CD180s, rated very good and a best buy by consumer reports. A/Bing the the CD580s and the CD180s was quick and eye-opening. It seemed there was nothing that the CD580s didn't do better than the CD180s, so I just put the CD180s down and forgot about them. The CD180s were not overly bright though (or even bright enough), but still had sibilance and echo and lacked low bass.

The biggest drawback of the CD580s are looks (big silvery meshy globes) and weight (250g), some sizzle in the high treble. On the other hand they are warm and VERY detailed for close listening to a particular instrument or voice. I am pleased to have bought them for $40. If I had paid more... who knows?
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2002 at 3:41 AM Post #2 of 20
Nice mini-comparison on an infrequently referenced pair of headphones. With all the old favorites (and flame-baiters) on these boards, it's nice to hear something about the 90% of other headphones out there. Who knows when the next gem will pop up?

Nov 11, 2002 at 7:05 PM Post #5 of 20
CD580 Addendum: Just in case anyone's ever interested in these, they should know the upper treble can sizzle (so be forewarned if that bugs you). Also, there are two metal bars at the top of the headphones that you can bend for comfort (which I did, improving the already good comfort a great deal). These are not boomy or punchy, not for bass heads, but the bass does go deep and clean and warm.
biggrin.gif

Jul 12, 2003 at 2:43 PM Post #6 of 20
Well, it's been eight months or so and I've come full circle on the Sony MDR-CD580s. The bass is beautiful and deep and natural, the mids are extremely neutral, and the highs are the most like live music of all of my headphones, which, yes, means they are a little on the aggressive side. IMHO, they out-Grado the Grados. They're less warm and more neutral than the Grados. For now, I like the Sony MDR-CD580s more than any of my other headphones, to include the Grado SR60s, Sen HD497s, Senn HD580s, Sony V6s, or Sony Eggo D66s. The overall tonal balance is like eggos, but with lots more bass and more clear and without any closed-headphone type resonance or echo. I feel they have the most natural and accurate sound. I've been catching a little live music duirng lunch in downtown D.C. when I can lately, indoors and out, and asking myself which headphones sound the most like a live performance. I think it's the Sony MDR-CD580s. They're plenty comfortable too.
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, I think they usually go for between $50 and $60 new.

Jul 12, 2003 at 3:00 PM Post #7 of 20
Thanks Steve999. Always wondered of the quality of the 580's since they replaced the 570's, which I owned and liked quite a bit for some purposes. When V6's got on my nerves I always went to the warmer 570's. Unfortunately, their dork factor is only slightly behind the 580's, and their size is larger. Not the best portable phones which was what I was trying to use them for.

Thanks again for the comments.

Jul 12, 2003 at 11:33 PM Post #8 of 20
Thanks, Blessingx. Yeah, these MDR-CD580s are definitely home listening cans, and goofy looking. I think the sound is wonderful for anyone who has a taste for an aggressive but midrange-neutral sound. I can't change the head-fi paradigm on 1.5 posts per day, but I feel they are among the very best headphones you can get for under $100.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
Thanks Steve999. Always wondered of the quality of the 580's since they replaced the 570's, which I owned and liked quite a bit for some purposes. When V6's got on my nerves I always went to the warmer 570's. Unfortunately, their dork factor is only slightly behind the 580's, and their size is larger. Not the best portable phones which was what I was trying to use them for.

Thanks again for the comments.

Jul 15, 2003 at 2:11 AM Post #10 of 20
Thanks for the feedback. I'm really loving my Sony CD580s right now. They are just awesome, just perfect. Right now they are by far my favorite phones. My rediscovery of them has been a headphone epiphany.
600smile.gif

It would only stand to reason that the next headphone up in the series, the CD780s, might sound a bit better. I'd be worried it wouldn't be quite so perfect as the CD580s, though, since I like the CD580s so much. Interesting that the 780 has different drivers, too, 50 mm drivers compared the the CD580s 40 mm drivers. So the two might still provide a nice variety.

I find the Sony CD580s to have astonishingly deep and natural bass, exuberant, super-extended highs, and an ultra-clear, ultra-neutral midrange.

Anyway, I'd be interested in any feedback from anyone who has compared the CD580s to the CD780s, or anyone who has tried the CD780s.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by D-EJ915
I like the 780's a little bit more, the sound is more open (sort of like HD590 and HD580, but not really), and the 'phones look cooler
600smile.gif
...anyway, they were 20 euros cheaper at KaDeWe...110...and I like their fit better, I think they were slightly larger physically

Jul 15, 2003 at 2:27 AM Post #11 of 20
I'm not kidding, I didn't really notice a difference between them both, except that I thought the 780's looked better
600smile.gif
, but still, they're great 'phones none-the-less (the 580's were 90 euros and the 780's were 110)--kinda funny since the 580's are 60 at etronics and the 780's are 80 there
confused.gif

Aug 13, 2003 at 10:31 AM Post #13 of 20
chiggachu, welcome to head-fi
smily_headphones1.gif

The cords, aren't they like the ones on the Philips HP890s ~ 3.5mm at one end, and a 2.5mm jack at the other?

Aug 16, 2003 at 10:33 PM Post #15 of 20
I'm sorry to repeat this but I really would like to know how much isolation I can expect from outside noise with these CD580s so can someone who has used them please tell me or direct me to a reference where I can read it? The Beyer DT250-80s are also semi closed and provide about 10dB of isolation so how do the CD580s do compared to them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back