Sony MDR-CD3000 headphone ' The Legendary Prince ' aka Baby MDR-R10
May 5, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #31 of 69
I got super lazy to do my prize jewel thread on the R10. So, ill post some left over things here...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sony was pioneers in this space in the 80s and 90s. Legendary items with exquisite appearance and powerful specs.

Sony released a "R" Series. It was not only the greatest headphone of all time, "The Sony MDR R10" it was a combination of greatest in everything.

Greatest Speakers, Greatest Amplifiers, Greatest DACs, Greatest Pre-amps and Greatest CD-Players.

The legendary "R" series

Sony TA ER1
- Pre-amp and amp for the R10 headphone and R series speakers
Sony_TA-ER1.jpg

Sony CDP-R1/DAS-R1 CD player - This CD-player and DAC went hand in hand with the headphone and speakers.
cd.jpg

Sony SS-R10 - Legendary R speakers made alongside with the R10 headphones/CD-players and Amplifiers
ss10.jpg

Sony CDP-R10 - This is theeeeee CD-player of all time! The Ultra RARE R-10 CD-player
Sony-cdp-r1.jpg

Sony SS-GR1 - R-10 lound speakers

a.jpg
yeah it's interesting how they've done this a couple times now, after the R it's the Qualias, now it's the Signature series.
Each time are the same formula, a signature/halo model of all product type, Speaker, Headphone, Amplifier,
The best Sony of its time can make,

and interestingly, the design and philosophy of the headphone is all different for each generation.
the R10 is a biocellulose, wood cup headphone many have used the same design ever since,
the Qualia 010, with its driver hanged inside a permeable cage and, it's aesthetic you can say in a way, spawn the HD800.
Now the Z1R with its many new tech designs.

Sony doesn't like to settle. That's for sure.

Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #32 of 69
I wish they remake the R10 with today’s technology. The R10 is a few octaves in bass output to a sound perfection, IMO.

May 6, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #33 of 69
Well on that particular topic about remaking, there's at least one manufacture actually trying that. Haven't checked the thread but what about the HE-R10 huh? I only hear that the Dynamic model is lackluster compared to the planar driver but well that must be kinda intentional, still not sure what kind of tuning they have.
Hello. I'm Fairly new to all this audiophile stuff so i haven't really looked that hard for them.. did snoop around for some of the models mentioned in this thread, but didn't find anything. Kinda hard finding anything of interest in the myriad of Sony Headphones for sale. Considering that Sony makes so much cheaper stuff i'm sure someone will list a high-end model on the cheap thinking that it is crap, so deals are almost sure to be had if one is patient.
There's this thing tho... Sony's entry and mid fi level can look like any old gear, plastic fantastic (and probably bizarre looking in some ways too) but Sony's summit fi Always Build and Look the part, it'd be hard to find a blazing deal on one, especially with the existence of the Internet, and you trying to find one for sale in... the Internet.

May 6, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #34 of 69
I wish they remake the R10 with today’s technology. The R10 is a few octaves in bass output to a sound perfection, IMO.
Irregardless of its sound, they should remake it because of its legendary status. They should make a limited number of remakes based on the exact recipe of the original. It is Sonys one claim to legendary headphone making, they should keep it going. I don't think they can do it again in todays headphone climate, but they sure can give us the R10 again.

May 14, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #35 of 69
does anyone want to let go a CD3000 phone? i am looking to buy. thank you!

Jun 11, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #36 of 69
There's this thing tho... Sony's entry and mid fi level can look like any old gear, plastic fantastic (and probably bizarre looking in some ways too) but Sony's summit fi Always Build and Look the part, it'd be hard to find a blazing deal on one, especially with the existence of the Internet, and you trying to find one for sale in... the Internet.
Just flipped a pair of Boodo Khan headphones on ebay. Found a local ad that had a pair for sale for the low sum of $120ish. They were mint condition unused in the box. Sold them for a quick $1000. Although those headphones look like any generic pair of sony headphones of the era the point is that deals can be had.
Never been a fan of the saying "if it's too good to be true" because if you live by that type of philosophy you will lock yourself out of potential killer deals.

I put the money towards a used Z1R which i now am enjoying the doodoo out of.

Jun 11, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #37 of 69
Just flipped a pair of Boodo Khan headphones on ebay. Found a local ad that had a pair for sale for the low sum of $120ish. They were mint condition unused in the box. Sold them for a quick $1000. Although those headphones look like any generic pair of sony headphones of the era the point is that deals can be had.
Never been a fan of the saying "if it's too good to be true" because if you live by that type of philosophy you will lock yourself out of potential killer deals.

I put the money towards a used Z1R which i now am enjoying the doodoo out of.
I heard the Boodo Khan cans sound awful. Maybe someone bought them just for their collectible value. I'd never understand that though as I only buy stuff which I'd like to listen to/enjoy too, that aspect cannot be drawn out from the whole experience imho.
With Sony, it's a mystery. I'm listening now to my CD-1700, which is fantastic, but in their own world, the MDR-62 and the MDR-M88 are not far behind, when properly amped/impedance-adjusted, they are quite incredible and can hold their own in 2021. Everyone I show my MDR-62 drop their jaw. While there are totl earphones from Sony from the same era which cannot even come close.
BTW if anyone has CD3000 drivers, let me know, I might buy a set :wink:

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #38 of 69
I heard the Boodo Khan cans sound awful. Maybe someone bought them just for their collectible value.
Judging by the buyers purchase history that did indeed seem to be the case. I think the cans were tuned to go with the walkman though. Some said the drivers were the same as an identical Sony headphone, just rebadged while others claimed that there is a driver difference.. never really figured it out since there isn't much information about them online.

Dec 4, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #39 of 69
To mix this up a bit: how many of you have the Aiwa HP-X10? Maybe my all time favourite set. A bit too much mids for my taste, but it reacts very good to EQs. I couldn't find anyone else here or elsewhere to talk about the X10s and it's ingenuity. On the same level with the Sony TOTL line imho.
IMG_20211204_151718_edit_131964315599655.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #41 of 69
I think it's just that AIWA phones are so hard to come by, they even seem rare in Japan. I would love to get my hands on the X10 or one of the AIWA earbuds (lovely collection you got there @nofarewell)
Hey, thanks! Yes, I consider myself extremely lucky to have the X-10. But you also have the R10, so it shouldn't be that bad either :wink: - so vintage Aiwa, that are on par with totl Sony stuff are rare even in Japan?

Dec 14, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #42 of 69
I pulled out my CD3000 out of mothballs since it hasn't been used in almost 10 years to compare to the HE1000SE. I forgot just how wide these sound. Other than the headband leather and the strap assembly needing a repadding, these are what I remember them to be.

Jan 19, 2022 at 6:39 AM Post #43 of 69
Let us look into the forgotten ECR series.

The ECR series was from the 400 to the 800s
These headphones are Sonys electret condenser type headphones.

ECR-400
ECR400.jpg

■ Price 16,800 yen
■ Model Uni-electret condenser type
■ Diaphragm unequal- sided pentagonal diaphragm
■ Impedance
■ Reproduction frequency band 20-20,000Hz
■ Allowable input
■ Sensitivity 91dB SPL/1VRNS
■ Code 2.4m
■ Weight 380g (excluding code) Adapter 950g
■ Release around 1975
■ End of sale around 1978

ECR-500
ECR500.jpg

■ Price 24,800 yen
■ Model Uni-electret condenser type
■ Diaphragm unequal- sided pentagonal diaphragm
■ Impedance
■ Reproduction frequency band 20-20,000Hz
■ Allowable input
■ Sensitivity 91dB SPL/1VRNS
■ Code 2.3m
■ Weight 350g (code not included) Adapter 1,000 g
■Sold around 1974 ■End of sale 1979

ECR-600
ECR600.jpg
Released date: 1972-1982

ECR-800
ECR800.jpg

■Price 30,000 yen
■Model Capacitor type
■Vibration plate 2 micron thickness Unequal sided pentagonal diaphragm
■Impedance
■Reproduction frequency band 20-40,000Hz
■Allowable input
■Sensitivity 97dB SPL
■Code 2.5m 6 wire parallel
■Weight 430g (code not included) Adapter 3,540g
■Sale October 1978
■End of sale 1983

Wonder why they discontinued these (as well as Audio-technica – theirs amazing electrostatics).
Better than dynamic headphones, especially of those times.

Feb 7, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #45 of 69
@jujuju

Give us a small review here with some sexy pic 😀

Users who are viewing this thread

Back