Sony MDR-CD1700 owners!?!
Apr 24, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #16 of 25
Use the CD3000’s pad. I have two pair of CD1700s still. 18-year old thread!

Apr 24, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #17 of 25
Guys,
I would like to know your impression on this Sony MDR-CD1700. As of mine, the CD-1700 sounds great. It has very wide soundstage (significantly wider than the HD-580). The presentation is bright and revealing. It has very smooth vocal with very controlled bass(not that deep compares to my Senn HD-580). I use the CD-1700 with Meta 42 (AD845) and Sony D-515. The high frequency is also great. The best musical genre for cd-1700 would be vocals and easy listenings. The overall comfort is excellent. How about you guys?

CD1700 is not bright, rather neutral and mid-focused. CD3000 was/is bright. Both are somewhat diffuse-field, but CD1700 can't be really considered bright. Then there is Sony F1 which is dark. That's mine on IEC711 but with ears from EARS:
Sony cd1700 i in.jpg
Yeah, you could say CD3k has more bass extension but I'm not sure if I'm really hearing it, may be also a measurement error, should be double checked.
CD1700 sounds practically the same with non-velour pads I think, but haven't yet measured it on these replacement thingies. They are uncomfy though.

Whew old thread but... I'm getting a pair of CD1.7K out of curiousity (collecting some of them Sonys) and they're coming in next week. Any suggestions on where to get replacement earpads? JIC mine comes in all roughed up
Yeah, anywhere on eBay, etc. There are lots of them. But they kinda suck. I think of ordering custom pads from Vesper Audio.

Apr 24, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #18 of 25
They were bright way back in the day!! Joking aside they are relatively dark sounding. Still sounds wonderful after 20 or something years. I used to remember telling myself that the cd1700 was going to be my last pair of headphones for awhile. Wish I was stronger!

Apr 24, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #19 of 25
That's why they're so popular in the studios! Audio engineers are now one of the main sources of getting them second hand, lol :) That's also why they're in so bad shape, cuz they were used as a work tool ;-(

Apr 24, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #20 of 25
That's why they're so popular in the studios! Audio engineers are now one of the main sources of getting them second hand, lol :) That's also why they're in so bad shape, cuz they were used as a work tool ;-(
How do you know this? Are u one of them?

Apr 24, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #21 of 25
How do you know this? Are u one of them?
Just seen this several times. Either offers from studios. Or in hands of engineers. They are very neutral closed monitors so it makes perfect sense too.

Apr 24, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #22 of 25
I find them to have a slightly darker tonal balanced but they are an incredible details headphones with very good sounds the to boot. No overly bloated bass and the midrange is render very well. I want to recable my pair but has yet to get around to it.

Dec 26, 2023 at 4:47 AM Post #23 of 25
CD1700 is not bright, rather neutral and mid-focused. CD3000 was/is bright. Both are somewhat diffuse-field, but CD1700 can't be really considered bright. Then there is Sony F1 which is dark. That's mine on IEC711 but with ears from EARS:

Yeah, you could say CD3k has more bass extension but I'm not sure if I'm really hearing it, may be also a measurement error, should be double checked.
CD1700 sounds practically the same with non-velour pads I think, but haven't yet measured it on these replacement thingies. They are uncomfy though.

Yeah, anywhere on eBay, etc. There are lots of them. But they kinda suck. I think of ordering custom pads from Vesper Audio.

Can you please confirm the legend of this measurement graph?

I'm assuming the black line is the F1 (rolled off bass and a darker sound is exactly how I remember my F1). So I guess the gold line is the CD3000 and the blue line is the CD1700?

Been wanting to join the CD1700 club for a while now. I literally have gotten every other biocellulose SONY phone - CD3000, R10, CD2000, and I had a couple of E888s before they got lost (one gold, the other silver). Even my F1 is one that's modded with CD1000 drivers now.

CD1700 pairs have come up over the years but I'm a bit of a snob in terms of buying used headphones (strongly prefer to buy new old stock or at the very least barely used and it's been hard to find a CD1700 that meets that criteria so far lol).

Dec 26, 2023 at 5:47 AM Post #24 of 25
Can you please confirm the legend of this measurement graph?

I'm assuming the black line is the F1 (rolled off bass and a darker sound is exactly how I remember my F1). So I guess the gold line is the CD3000 and the blue line is the CD1700?

Been wanting to join the CD1700 club for a while now. I literally have gotten every other biocellulose SONY phone - CD3000, R10, CD2000, and I had a couple of E888s before they got lost (one gold, the other silver). Even my F1 is one that's modded with CD1000 drivers now.

CD1700 pairs have come up over the years but I'm a bit of a snob in terms of buying used headphones (strongly prefer to buy new old stock or at the very least barely used and it's been hard to find a CD1700 that meets that criteria so far lol).
It's been a long time since this graph, but yes, 99% I can confirm your logic is right :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back