Sony MDR-AS800AP: Not to be underestimated
Jan 14, 2015 at 10:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

B9Scrambler

Headphoneus Supremus
Updated review: http://www.head-fi.org/products/sony-mdr-as800ap-splashproof-sporty-in-earphone-black-international-version/reviews/16104​

Sony MDR-AS800AP
 ​

​
It seems 2014 was the year I reignited my respect for Sony and their products. In the past I found that Sony purchases always died within a month or two of the warranty ending. Headphones, TV's, computers, whatever. It didn't matter. After avoiding Sony for years, I opted to purchase the PS VITA and couldn't have been happier.

Since "opening the floodgates" with my VITA, I have picked up a ton of Sony headphones/earphones; Official PS VITA iems (underrated), EX12ip (average), EX100 (detailed and bright), XB50 (would you like some bass with that bass?), EX300 (below average), EX600 (lush), MA300 (media baller), and the XBA-2 (my first BA). When I saw the AS800AP and their Cadbury Mini Egg shape, I knew I had to have them. What I didn't expect was for them to be as tasty as the snack they aped their shape from.

Budget bassheads take note. The Sony AS800AP deserves your attention. Peer past the off-putting design and prepare yourselves for a fantastic experience. For those that have tried and enjoy the XB50, XB70, and JVC XX series, you might want to pick these up to replace them.

The following comments are based on three weeks of play using a variety of sources of varying quality and various musical genres. My intention was to use them as if they were my only earphone. This turned out to be a much more positive experience than I was initially expecting.

Accessories and Features

Lets start with a quick look at the included accessories. While more or less standard, the quality is top notch. Included are four sizes of extra long Sony Hybrid earbuds (ss, s, m, l). They provide a great seal and are comfortable, but I still prefer the standard Hybrids. Three different sizes of stabilizers are also provided (s, m, l). I would like to see an 'ss' size since I have pretty average ears and the smallest stabilizers fit me without any room to spare (i.e. perfectly). Someone with smaller ears would probably have to leave them off. Since they do make a positive difference in both fit and comfort, this is a bit of an oversight in my opinion.

A shirt clip is also included. It is hands down the best one I've received with an iem due to its wide mouth and strong bite; necessary if you are active while listening. A quality carrying pouch is provided. I would prefer a hard case, but the included one is made from a sturdy material and is more portable than a hard case. These iems are beefy enough that a hard case would probably be overkill and add unnecessary cost, plus is would have to be pretty thick to contain them. Finally, you have the cable adjuster. This is one that I might actually use since it doesn't require a ridiculous amount of cable contortion, and is very straight forward in function.

The AS800AP supports Sony Smart Key. This adds additional and programmable functionality to the multipurpose button on Android devices, such as song skipping, volume control, and more. While nice in concept, it did not work on either my Nexus S or Moto G. Your mileage may vary.

These are also purported to be waterproof. While I would love to test this out myself, I was not provided these as a loaner/tester and do not want to ruin them. I will give Sony the benefit of the doubt and trust that they are actually waterproof and not just highly water resistant as they cover the correct way to remove water from within the housing in the manual (I had to at least scan though, c'mon).

The warranty is less than stellar and well below average in length; three months.

Build and Comfort

The cable is of average thickness, flexible, and features Sony's oft used serrated texture so they rarely tangle. It performs pretty well in cold weather which I appreciate given I live north of the good ol' US of A. Strain reliefs for both the jack and housings are extra long and flexible. These are probably the best reliefs I have come across and instill confidence that this cable will be alive and kickin' for a while. There is no strain relief to the y-split/inline mic, but given the majority of bending that happens at the jack and housings this is acceptable. The chin slider slides easily along the cable and does not shift itself out of place when in use. The inline mic works as expected, doing a reasonable job of nullifying wind and cable noise. My callers have never had any issues hearing me. Well done chaps.

For a large-bodied iem they are surprisingly comfortable and versatile. Cable noise is apparent when wearing them cable-down, and more than acceptable. Removal of the stabilizers makes them a little more straightforward to wear since you don't have to worry about slotting the fins into your upper ear, but this seems to boost microphonics a touch. The AS800AP can be worn cable-up if you remove the stabilizers. This completely nullifies cable noise but is not an ideal way to wear them due to the extra long strain reliefs. I will warn that as a result of their overall size these will not be ideal for someone with small ears.

Isolation is average, maybe slightly above. There are two small vents; one underneath the housing where the strain relief meets, and another under the stabilizing fin. The fin has a small path molded in to ensure the vent isn't blocked, which is a nice detail.

Sound

The AS800AP is clearly cut from the same cloth as Sony's own XB50, sharing an exceptionally similar signature. I am 99.9% sure they apply the same 12mm driver but with some tweaks that make a small yet significant difference. Both are 16 ohms.

AS800AP - Frequency Response : 5 - 25,000 Hz; Sensitivity (db) : 108 dB/mW.

XB50 - Frequency Response : 4 - 24,000 Hz; Sensitivity : 110 dB/mW

As with the XB50, amping is far from necessary with the AS800AP. They require very little power and were driven easily from any source thrown at them.

In direct comparison to the XB50, the AS800AP have better treble extension and more forward mids. They sound more refined and energetic across the board, especially at higher volumes. Compared to the XB50, bass is tighter, faster, and cleaner, while still providing a quantity that would satisfy most diehard bassheads. The AS800AP places greater emphasis on sub-bass than most bassy iems I've used, which I appreciate. They rumble like the XB50 but are missing that touch of bloat that bled into the mids.

The soundstage is another area where they differentiate themselves from the XB50. While the XB50 sounded fairly spacious for something so keen on providing ear-shattering bass, they were a little one-dimensional and flat. The AS800AP outputs an acceptably spacious sound, but the treble can feel overly focused and in-your-face at times. Initially this produced a funneled effect with the trebley bits being the most forward, and the mids and bass expanding outwards in the background. After about a week of use, I either got used to this or it went away through 'burn in', or a bit of both. Sound separation and instrument placement is quite good and they never end up sounding congested.

The AS800AP is great for gaming and media consumption. They have the right amount of bass to allow for an engaging and exciting experience. Sound effects such as guns firing, engines revving, etc. have some serious grunt and punch which is always appreciated.

Overall

These excel with EDM, rap, and other bass-heavy genres. It is clear that the AS800AP are not meant for critical listening, but given their intended audience handle themselves with a variety of genres pretty well. Definitely better than the XB50 and other bass-focused earphones I've tried. They are a fun, smooth, v(maybe u)-shaped earphone that just happens to be marketed towards the athletic crowd. I think they would be a great all-rounder since they are affordable, comfortable, and work well with a variety of genres. If in the market for a right and proper budget basshead earphone, be sure to consider the Sony MDR-AS800AP.

Thanks for reading!

- B9Scrambler (aka. The Contraptionist)

**The difference between the XB50 and AS800AP reminds me of the JVC FX1X and FX3X. The 3X/AS800AP is a more refined and well put together version of the 1X/XB50, improving on them in nearly every way (except bass quantity which I found to be reined in a touch)**

Sources:
- Nexus S
- Moto G
- Asus G73jh laptop
- Creative Soundblaster Recon 3D
- Music file quality ranged anywhere from super low-fi internet radio to FLAC and 320kbps files. Most of my play time was with EDM (majority drum and bass and breakbeat) with some classic rock and metal tossed in for good measure. I also listened to quite a bit of jazz, but that was through internet radio and therefore not of the best quality.

​

​

Jan 14, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #2 of 46
Thanks for the review! I knew these would be very solid Alas I still chose the Pioneer in my signature since they are proven to be excellent with microphonics and bone conduction/footfall noise.

What we need is a shootout between all the latest Japanese sports phones, the ATH-SPORT, JVC ETR/X, Pioneer E series, and Sony AS. Though these Sony still seem like an answer to AT's CKX series with the ear stabilizers...  
images

Thing I don't like is so many of the new "sport" models being mic versions only.

Jan 14, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #3 of 46
You are welcome. Thanks for commenting :) I was pretty surprised at how nice these were. They really do offer up some excellent bass in both quantity and quality without really sacrificing much in the mids or treble.

I would love to see someone do a shootout between all of those options mentioned. The AS are the only ones I've seen in person, but those Pioneers you have definitely interest me.

Apr 22, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #6 of 46
Was looking for some IEMs that were tolerant of sweat with lots of low end, good isolation and would stay put for workouts. It was tough finding a pair which fit the bill since many of these sets are designed for situational awareness (jogging and such) so bass tends to be weak. Fortunately the bass on these have plenty of impact while not getting too boomy in the midbass range- mids are slightly forward and treble is nicely controlled while keeping a little bit of sparkle. Anyway, I bought these based on your review and was not disappointed!

Apr 22, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #7 of 46
Was looking for some IEMs that were tolerant of sweat with lots of low end, good isolation and would stay put for workouts. It was tough finding a pair which fit the bill since many of these sets are designed for situational awareness (jogging and such) so bass tends to be weak. Fortunately the bass on these have plenty of impact while not getting too boomy in the midbass range- mids are slightly forward and treble is nicely controlled while keeping a little bit of sparkle. Anyway, I bought these based on your review and was not disappointed!

:D Glad the review helped out. I hope you enjoy these as much as I have. They only sound better with time.

May 4, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #8 of 46
biggrin.gif
Glad the review helped out. I hope you enjoy these as much as I have. They only sound better with time.

I also thank you @B9Scrambler. Just picked up a new pair for $30.00 + postage on eBay AU for use with my 7th gen Nano. I would not have purchased them without your review. They sound pretty friggin awesome for the money. The bass is just right without mids or highs sacrificed. The fins work very well and overall I too would highly recommend these in ear headphones.

Cheers.

Jul 6, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #9 of 46
Thanks for the review I considered them for a bit. The build seems to be good and they look amazing but I am not a fan of their sound signature so I will steer away from them

Jul 6, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #10 of 46
  Thanks for the review I considered them for a bit. The build seems to be good and they look amazing but I am not a fan of their sound signature so I will steer away from them

Thanks for reading my review! They're probably a little too bass-heavy for most of the Head-fi crowd, although I should actually update the review since their sound has become a little more well-rounded over time. Bass seems to have settled down quite a bit. They're aging well. 

Jul 14, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #11 of 46
Received mine today and I'm stunned by the clarity, detail, crispness and sparkle (which is exactly what I wanted) that's often missed with earbuds. They remind me of my Momentum M2 and have such a deep bass presence that packs quite a punch without being distracting that you can actually appreciate. It's definitely a tremendous upgrade from my other earbuds. I appreciate all the input that helped make my decision easy.

Jul 15, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #12 of 46
Received mine today and I'm stunned by the clarity, detail, crispness and sparkle (which is exactly what I wanted) that's often missed with earbuds. They remind me of my Momentum M2 and have such a deep bass presence that packs quite a punch without being distracting that you can actually appreciate. It's definitely a tremendous upgrade from my other earbuds. I appreciate all the input that helped make my decision easy.

Glad I could assist :) Thanks for leaving your impressions. I definitely think these will continue to fly under the radar, but those who get them will love em. Such a good driver crammed in a very weird housing, lol.

Jul 16, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #13 of 46
Glad I could assist
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks for leaving your impressions. I definitely think these will continue to fly under the radar, but those who get them will love em. Such a good driver crammed in a very weird housing, lol.

Of course.
smile.gif
I had a thought about that yesterday (and still a bit surprised about the lack of reviews). So true lol.

Jul 23, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #15 of 46
Haven't tried anything from SR before actually. From the few reviews I could find they are well-built and comfortable, but sound just o.K. Maybe someone else could comment on that?

I know for a fact that the AS800AP sound great, are super comfy, are nicely constructed (have held up wonderfully so far), and that I would buy them again in a heartbeat. They come highly recommended from me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back