Sony MDR-7520
Sep 21, 2013 at 9:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2,535

pearljam50000

1000+ Head-Fier
I can't find alot of info and reviews about their sound..
Can anyone shed a light about this?
Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm considering AKG K550 But the 7520's look nice also,so i'm not sure which one to get.

Sep 21, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #2 of 2,535
MDR-7520 = MDR-Z1000
Reviews and impressions exist.

Sep 21, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #3 of 2,535
They do exist. Here's one. I think Jude has something on the 7520. I just got one. I will spend a few days listening and get back with some  c o m m e n t s  on the sounds?

Sep 22, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #5 of 2,535
Sep 22, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #6 of 2,535
Oct 1, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #7 of 2,535
  They do exist. Here's one. I think Jude has something on the 7520. I just got one. I will spend a few days listening and get back with some  c o m m e n t s  on the sounds?

So Beagle... how were the Sonys?!?

:p

Oct 21, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #8 of 2,535

Jude does have something to do with the MDR-7520 since he just took pictures of it with the Alpha Dog headphones sitting next to it on this forum. Normally when I think of Sony for headphones I am thinking's about those bass monsters, the Sony XB line in my mind. I was under the impression that Sony does not make serious flat response headphones with great clarity. Sometime ago I took a look at the MDR-Z1000 frequency curve which is supposedly similar to the 7520 on Headphone.com and it was terrible and disgusting frequency curve. That just reinforce the negative image I has of Sony headphones. Since I know that Jude will not put such crabby headphones next to the Alpha Dog in a photo shoot. It is just not Jude style. I decided to take another look at the Sony 7520 and the reviews are very positive including a few that records classical music for a living.  Some will say that the bass of the 7520 is deep and the treble is extended.  You never know that by looking at the frequency curve on headphone.com. No bass below 100Hz and a huge drop at 4 kHz that goes almost to the bottom of the chart. I tried to find another frequency curve for the MDR-7520 besides the MDR-1000 but I cannot find one to correlate. Maybe the 7520 it is a headphone with great clarity and I am not sure what to think at this point. I wanted to make sure that I have good return privileges since I have been fooled a few times by great reviews. Maybe a great headphone is sitting in front of my eyes partly hidden from consideration.

Oct 21, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #9 of 2,535
I still haven't jumped on them.
I'm getting rid of some of my headphones but I actually want an amp next... so I guess this will stay a mystery in my head for a while..

Oct 22, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #10 of 2,535
  Jude does have something to do with the 7520 since he just took pictures of it with the Alpha Dog headphones sitting next to it on this forum. Normally when I think of Sony for headphones I am thinking's about those bass monsters, the Sony XB line in my mind. I was under the impression that Sony does not make serious flat response headphones with great clarity. Sometime ago I took a look at the 7520 frequency response on Headphone.com and it was terrible and disgusting frequency curve of the MDR-Z1000 which is supposedly similar to the 7520. That just reinforce the negative image I has of Sony headphones. Since I know that Jude will not put such crabby headphones next to the Alpha Dog in a photo shoot. It is just not Jude style. I decided to take another look at the Sony 7520 and the reviews are very positive including a few that records classical music for a living.  Some will say that the bass of the 7520 is deep and the treble is extended.  You never know that by looking at the frequency curve on headphone.com. No bass below 100Hz and a huge drop at 4 kHz that goes almost to the bottom of the chart. I tried to find another frequency curve for the 7520 but I cannot find one to correlate. Maybe the 7520 it is a headphone with great clarity and I am not sure what to think at this point. I wanted to make sure that I have good return privileges since I have been fooled a few times by great reviews. Maybe a great headphone is sitting in front of my eyes partly hidden from consideration.

john57, when you said no bass under 100Hz, and a huge drop at 4kHz, I had to see for myself. I don't think headphone.com has a graph for the 7520, but they do for the 7502, and that might explain what you're seeing.

Regardless of what any graphs say, the MDR-7520 is one of my favorite over-ear on-the-go headphones. It sounds great to me, it's durable, and I can use it without an amp in a pinch.

http://www.head-fi.org/a/2013-head-fi-summer-buying-guide-over-ear-headphones#user_sony_mdr-7520

There are a couple of nice, new pro market over-ears I'm also enjoying at the moment, and that have been stealing some ear time from the MDR-7520 with me: the Sennheiser HD 26 Pro and the Focal Spirit Professional. Those are worth checking out, too, and both will be added to the holiday update of the Head-Fi Buying Guide in November.

Oct 22, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #11 of 2,535
Jude,

Thanks for replying.
On Headphone it was showing the MDR-Z1000 which I was told a close match to the MDR-7520. http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/build-a-graph.php?graphID%5B0%5D=3381&graphID%5B1%5D=&graphID%5B2%5D=&graphID%5B3%5D=&scale=20&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Update+Graph

Not the greatest frequency chart by far. I did mention the MDR-Z1000 in my post but I can see where is the confusion may happen. I have reedited my post to make it clear that I was comparing the MDR-7520 to the MDR-Z1000 which is supposedly a close match. English is not the easiest language to write with.

Oct 22, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #12 of 2,535
  Jude,

Thanks for replying.
On Headphone it was showing the MDR-Z1000 which I was told a close match to the MDR-7520. http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/build-a-graph.php?graphID%5B0%5D=3381&graphID%5B1%5D=&graphID%5B2%5D=&graphID%5B3%5D=&scale=20&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Update+Graph

Not the greatest frequency chart by far. I did mention the MDR-Z1000 in my post but I can see where is the confusion may happen. I have reedited my post to make it clear that I was comparing the MDR-7520 to the MDR-Z1000 which is supposedly a close match. English is not the easiest language to write with.

Once again, john57, I think headphone.com has a graph for the MDR-7502, but not the MDR 7520.

I think you were looking at the graph for the MDR-7502.

Also, I have both, and they do not sound the same. Read the Buying Guide entry I linked to a couple of posts up.

Oct 22, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #13 of 2,535

Once again, john57, I think headphone.com has a graph for the MDR-7502, but not the MDR 7520.

I think you were looking at the graph for the MDR-7502.

Also, I have both, and they do not sound the same. Read the Buying Guide entry I linked to a couple of posts up.

Jude, john's link from headphone.com is for the Sony Z1000 which a LOT of people have the mis-conception that both the Z1000 and the MDR-7520 are the same. But as you and others have mentioned, (even the guy from Sony), they are NOT the same anyway.

The Z1000 graph shows what John's mentioning regarding bass steep drop/roll-off.

Personally I've been enjoying the Yamaha HPH-MT220. For some reason I think that the Yammies and the 7520 might sound similar...

Oct 24, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #14 of 2,535

So Beagle... how were the Sonys?!?

:p

Sorry, I lost track of this thread...

7520 is a very nicely balanced studio monitor. It does not have a lot of "depth" in the soundfield but is not cramped or compressed. Slight warmth in the midbass, everything else is smooth and well-integrated, seamless. You can hear everything in a recording but in a natural way, not forced via hyped detail. Sounds like a smoothed-out MDR-1R. I'd say the 1R is more open sounding but the 7520 is more solid....the 1R being a bit "n" shaped with a light nasal characteristic in the mid. Both very nice phones, just different.

Oct 24, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #15 of 2,535

Sorry, I lost track of this thread...

7520 is a very nicely balanced studio monitor. It does not have a lot of "depth" in the soundfield but is not cramped or compressed. Slight warmth in the midbass, everything else is smooth and well-integrated, seamless. You can hear everything in a recording but in a natural way, not forced via hyped detail. Sounds like a smoothed-out MDR-1R. I'd say the 1R is more open sounding but the 7520 is more solid....the 1R being a bit "n" shaped with a light nasal characteristic in the mid. Both very nice phones, just different.

Thanks... so if you are comparing to the MDR-1R (which I also had), I guess sub-bass performance is not strong nor linear either!? I've been surprised by the Yamaha HPH-MT220 and the 7520s seem to be direct competitors in the "Pro" arena... but now Shure with it's 1540s... I'm pretty Shure I'll get the Shure's before the Sony's! :wink:

Thanks for the impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back