Sony MDR-7520
May 14, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #1,381 of 2,535

Ah, I see. Thanks for that!

Now I just have to get rid of this creaking. :p

Try this:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/682534/sony-mdr-7520/1350#post_10481522

May 16, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #1,382 of 2,535
I don't think the sibilance on these would go away even after burn in but only tames it a little bit and also may vary with sources and amps.

It much much sharper on zx1 alone and a little lesser when paired on pha-2 high gain

May 19, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #1,384 of 2,535
not sure what makes for a good pc gaming headphone but these do not have a microphone if that is a requirement.  they are great headphones though, should assume they would work well for gaming.

May 19, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #1,387 of 2,535
  Are these good for PC gaming?

Although i got my pair mainly for music i find they work just as well for gaming. They are very detailed and clear so you are able to hear everything thats going on and the bass is well controlled so it doesn't drown everything else out. If i need to communicate during a game i just use a cable which has an inline mic which you can get for cheap online.

From what i remember of the 650 it has a much larger soundstage due to it being open backed which can be great for a lot games. It also sounds more natural and laid back but with a 300ohm impedance it requires a good amp to bring out its best. The 7520 will of course attenuate outside noise a lot better, its brighter and more detailed and at only 24 ohms can easily be run from any source.

May 23, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #1,388 of 2,535
Wow I just got these in the mail today and they sound really really great. I think I've finally found a closed headphone with a sound signature that suits me!

Quote:
  Thanks. Any comments on how these compare to the Sennheiser HD 650?

I use the 650's with a speedballed Crack for my main rig and comparing that combo to the 7520's being driven by an Aune T1 they both sound really great and trade blows. Apart from the 650's obviously having all the benefits of being open, I'd say right off the bat the 7520's are definitely more detailed. The 650's sound very slightly veiled in comparison. 650's have lush mids, compared to the 7520's which are a bit more dry. Bass quantity is about the same, although the 7520 definitely goes deeper into sub-bass regions than the 650's do.

I'm actually really surprised by the sub-bass on these cans. I haven't heard clean, textured sub bass like this since the he-400's. Especially in a dynamic which is really really surprising.

May 23, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #1,389 of 2,535

I use the 650's with a speedballed Crack for my main rig and comparing that combo to the 7520's being driven by an Aune T1 they both sound really great and trade blows. Apart from the 650's obviously having all the benefits of being open, I'd say right off the bat the 7520's are definitely more detailed. The 650's sound very slightly veiled in comparison. 650's have lush mids, compared to the 7520's which are a bit more dry. Bass quantity is about the same, although the 7520 definitely goes deeper into sub-bass regions than the 650's do.

I'm actually really surprised by the sub-bass on these cans. I haven't heard clean, textured sub bass like this since the he-400's. Especially in a dynamic which is really really surprising.

Thanks. Could I run the MDR-7520 hooked-up directly to a Titanium HD sound card? I don't really need an amp to take them to their full potential, correct?

May 23, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #1,391 of 2,535
But remember: Send Kierkes your unwanted coiled cords. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

I jest. Just got the V-Moda Speakeasy for portable use. It's the perfect length for wrapping around the right of my body into my left pocket. The cord's got a lot of memory though; hopefully it'll loosen up.

As far as the creaking: it changed sides! :p Clearly something's actually affecting it. I'll take care of it later, haha.

May 24, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #1,393 of 2,535
how does the T1 stack up to the Bottlehead crack? I have the t1 and the hd650 and I like them, but I would like to eventually get the crack.

how does the T1 stack up to the Bottlehead crack? I have the t1 and the hd650 and I like them, but I would like to eventually get the crack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back