Sony MDR 7520: Is it worth the asking price?
May 23, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #4 of 13
Aug 2, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #5 of 13
Well after a couple months of deciding between in ears and headphones, it looks like it's settled, I'll be getting the Sony MDR 7520 on the first day/week of September. Can't wait to try it!!!:)

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #6 of 13
Well after a couple months of deciding between in ears and headphones, it looks like it's settled, I'll be getting the Sony MDR 7520 sometime this August. Can't wait to try it!!!:)

Great to hear @sonyfan501

You are in for a treat. I'm actually out camping at the moment, and the 7520s were an easy choice. For durability, portability, and overall sound character.

I've had mine for a couple years now and they still surprise me. While I'll still score other Headphones higher in certain regards, the 7520 bring foot tapping soul to certain genres.

Really quite unique I use them a lot. I had quite a bit of discomfort with them initially. Now they fit like a glove. Also l, had some squeaky gimbals. Was easy to take apart and oil them - last time I did this was a year ago and they are still fine

Post your impressions in the main 7520 thread when you have a chance.

Oh btw - some recent impressions of headphones incl. the 7520 up against HD700, LCD2 and others.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hea...-rev-1-and-a-pair-of-logitech-ue6000s.832713/

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #7 of 13
I really enjoyed the sound of my 7520s while I owned them. Only sold them due to annoying creaking of the plastic bits (reported by a number of users) with any small movement. As long as you are aware of this flaw, you will love them.

Sep 22, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #11 of 13
Awesome @canali, I have an AH-D2000 which is very similar to the TH-X00 from what I've heard. I actually love my Denon's, they have a really good quality to the bio-cellulose drivers that really sounds different than other dynamic drivers I've heard. Hard to explain, its juicy and liquid like. The D2000, is pretty flat, and doesn't have a mid-bass hump at all. It's actually a lot like my LCD2 in that respect. It is sharp on the treble end, even sharper than my HD700. But I find it does provide an audiophile-grade experience with this treble tilt. The D2000, aren't just fun for electronic music, they are actually great for jazz and classical timbres.

My vintage '80s HD250 Linear Mk1 600ohm sits in the middle of my D2000 and 7520 sonically. It has an awesome balance - you can just crank it, sort of like the LCD2.

Interested to hear your TH impressions.

Sep 22, 2017 at 12:54 AM Post #12 of 13
Awesome @canali, I have an AH-D2000 which is very similar to the TH-X00 from what I've heard. I actually love my Denon's, they have a really good quality to the bio-cellulose drivers that really sounds different than other dynamic drivers I've heard. Hard to explain, its juicy and liquid like. The D2000, is pretty flat, and doesn't have a mid-bass hump at all. It's actually a lot like my LCD2 in that respect. It is sharp on the treble end, even sharper than my HD700. But I find it does provide an audiophile-grade experience with this treble tilt. The D2000, aren't just fun for electronic music, they are actually great for jazz and classical timbres.

My vintage '80s HD250 Linear Mk1 600ohm sits in the middle of my D2000 and 7520 sonically. It has an awesome balance - you can just crank it, sort of like the LCD2.

Interested to hear your TH impressions.

thanks man, will do...and the best part...someone screwed up on the taxes etc.
cost was us$499...and both DHL and canada post were involved in the delivery...
as a result i thought i'd get skinned...but instead only paid cdn$40.96 in duties taxes, delivery costs (plus 15 from massdrop).
the breakdown on the invoice reads $30.91 taxes and $10 delivery..
another chap on the massdrop ebony thread, from ontario, noted he paid 93 in taxes/duties etc....
so someone screwed up with my order but thankfully in a good way.
...so all was good:hugging:

btw: i did buy the $$$ sony z1r...but soon sold them thereafter due to little use..didn't lose anything.
i mostly listen to my desktop focal alpha 50 speakers with roon, tidal, microrendu,
and also to my naim muso...so listening to music via
cans/iems is secondary...plus i find most cans not worth the $2k or more costs.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #13 of 13
i'm selling my sony 7520 if anyone is interested...in very good shape, hardly listened to
has extra pair of beyerdynamic velour pads, too.

i just don't listen to cans as much...i love the fostex ebonys i got in...that bottom end (without mid bass hump)
is just something else to listen to....i got the lawton DIY level 1 mod kit, too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back