Sony MDR-7506
Aug 30, 2011 at 6:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 184

shaneybrainy

New Head-Fier
How would you rate the Sony MDR-7506 based on sound quality (mainly) and build quality?  Just wanted to hear some opinions from other people.

Aug 30, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #2 of 184
Build quality is awesome, they are capable of taking a lot of abuse. Everything is either metal or high-grade plastic and the design is very utilitarian and professional.

Sound is extremely good but there are two issues:
1. They have a slight emphasis in the high-midrange, which colors the sound and is fatiguing to some.
2. Their bass suffers a little from the closed design and can sound a little boomy. This is not a huge issue by any means as the bass is still well defined, fairly agile and impactful; however, this slight issue must be mentioned nevertheless

Aug 30, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #3 of 184
Do you have any other Headphones besides the 7506's?

Aug 30, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #4 of 184

Quote:
Do you have any other Headphones besides the 7506's?

I have the V6 which are less clear but more balanced.

Biggest problem is the inner pads like to fall apart. This is a quick sewing lesson to fixing and avoiding the entire problem.

Best is that the MDR-v6/7506 don't do anything wrong, but they also don't do anything great in that way.

Everything is good, but nothing shines.

The bass extension is great, but can be undefined at times. But this is compared to my T50Rp that can compare to the LCD-2 in bass
The mids are nice, but not clear
The highs are there and clean, yet might be too sharp
soundstage is good but not forward or airy.
Comfort is great, adjust the clamping

If you want a all over headphone, get them their great. But if you're looking for something that would be only for rock or pop, look somewhere else.

I mostly use mine for pop/rap and gaming for the comfort.

Aug 30, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #5 of 184
Yes, I have found the highs to be a little harsh also.  While listening to Metallica I found the snare drum hits to be particularly loud and harsh.  It made me want to flinch every time there was a snare hit. Other than that they are great cans, I have since started using the equalizer on my iPhone and MacBook to rid of the harsh upper range.  Its still their just far less prominent.  I find them pretty comfortable until I hit the hour and a half two hour marker, then they begin to pinch my ears, but considering their price they might as well be amazing.

Aug 30, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #6 of 184
I agree with BotByte's comments entirely. I avoided the cheapy pads by buying the pearstone velours at the same time, which are very high quality pads. I've only used the stock pads for maybe 2 hours total and swapped them out right after.

Aug 30, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #8 of 184
I know! Ive been looking at the Velour pads for a long time now.

Aug 30, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #9 of 184
I find the mdr-7506 to be a decent headphone. I bought new ear beyer pads for them recently and listened to them for the first time in a while. They are easy to amplify, built like a tank, nicely collapsible, comfortable and they isolate well. This makes them great for travel, although IEMs may be just as good if not better due to size. Sound-wise, I find the treble on the sony to be mildly metallic. Bass can be exaggerated on some music and sometimes boomy, but this does not detract much from a decent midrange. Sometimes I grab these when I want to hear some good bass heavy music. I have never tried other bass-heavy phones though.

Aug 30, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #11 of 184
They are built like a tank thats for sure, and i always IEMS 
blink.gif

Aug 30, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #12 of 184

They are built like a tank thats for sure, and i always break IEMS 
blink.gif
.  Sorry about the last post.  How do you delete them anyway, I am new to this whole thing.

Aug 31, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #13 of 184
The NEW MDR-7510 is a bit better IMO.  I have BOTH.

Aug 31, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #14 of 184

Quote:
I know! Ive been looking at the Velour pads for a long time now.

I bought the velour pads the same time I got the v6.  I had the original pads on for maybe a total of 5 minutes just to try them out.  Only downside for the velour pads is now it's kinda semi on-ear for me.  But the pads are so comfortable it doesn't bother me at all.

Aug 31, 2011 at 4:41 AM Post #15 of 184

Quote:
I bought the velour pads the same time I got the v6.  I had the original pads on for maybe a total of 5 minutes just to try them out.  Only downside for the velour pads is now it's kinda semi on-ear for me.  But the pads are so comfortable it doesn't bother me at all.

I enjoy the regular pads that I sewed the inner seam that's glued together. Then I added a foam strip or you can use tissue paper to the backing of the pads to push the back to support on your head.

That reduced pressure and added more bass and comfort around my ear.

EDIT:

MDR-7509HD's are some of the greatest headphone's I've ever had a chance to listen to. And I've listened to a massive amount of headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back