Sony MDR-1RBT mods, equalization, impressions and so on.
Jul 17, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #47 of 67
I want to report that the MDR1NC looks the same in terms of earpad mounting ... just the addition of a microphone capsule sideways mounted above the driver ... thank for the detailed pictures, Ashade, so I planned to replace the pads with the Beyerdynamic Velour pads ... as others have reported, one of those finicky, tight, almost fit situations.

Ashade, did you ever devise a secure method of mounting the Beyerdynamic pads?  I did one, carefully turning the "tab ring" inside out, placing it in place, and carefully folding the tab material back into place.  But as it only really pressure fits against the outside of the earphones, it would loosen easily in handling.  That seemed to problematic to me, particularly for travel, so I put the original Sony pads back into place.  Or is it possible there is another Beyerdynamic pad ?  (I used the same ones I use on my MDR-V6, Beyerdynamics 942704, EDT 250V)

Jul 18, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #48 of 67
If the NC is somehow similar to the the BT, the pads "tab ring" should insert in another ring form that the headphone has in the cups. I'll try to take a picture tomorrow to show you, but I have the Shure pads mounted on the BT and even considering the fit is tighter that with the original pads, I never have a problem with them coming off. I want to imagine it should be similar with the Beyers. I'll edit this post tomorrow with more info.

Jul 18, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #49 of 67
Yeap .. I'll look for your photos, but there is a groove around the cup where the pads "tab ring" inserts ... the distance from the groove to the ear side of the cup is the problem ... on the NC it varies in size from 4.5 mm to 7.6 mm (measuring that size on the MDR-V6 it is 2 mm) ... width of the Breyerdynamics pads "tab ring" is 5 mm, so it can't even reach the larger widths on my MDR1RNC, hence the problem.

If these weren't almost new, I'd be tempted to use adhesive!

You use Shure pads ??  Do you know the type/model ?

Jul 21, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #51 of 67
Yeap .. I'll look for your photos, but there is a groove around the cup where the pads "tab ring" inserts ... the distance from the groove to the ear side of the cup is the problem ... on the NC it varies in size from 4.5 mm to 7.6 mm (measuring that size on the MDR-V6 it is 2 mm) ... width of the Breyerdynamics pads "tab ring" is 5 mm, so it can't even reach the larger widths on my MDR1RNC, hence the problem.

If these weren't almost new, I'd be tempted to use adhesive!

You use Shure pads ??  Do you know the type/model ?

You know what? You're making me doubt right now... let me check it. Sorry it took that long respond... busy weekend...

Jul 21, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #52 of 67

I'm pretty sure they are the Beyer. They don't convert the ring tab completely, but they've never feel out in my case. Are you having problems?

These are the ones I bought, for sure:

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-Velour-Earcushions-MDR7506-Headphones/dp/B0016MF7W2

41O5xYG76pL.jpg

Although they don't look like velour in the ad...

Jul 22, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #53 of 67
We are on the same page ... I'm also trying the Beyerdynamics pads.

I am suspecting that Sony may have a slightly different shape here on the NC version ...
these do have the 50 mm drivers ...
as I mentioned, the distance from ear-edge to the groove reaches 7.6 mm on the NC ...
with yours, where your thumb is pulling them away, knowing the dimension of the Beyer pads,
it looks like close to 5 mm for that distance, if that is where the maximum is.

Oh well, I'll keep the Beyer pads around ... I don't mind the stock 1R pads so much as
to make them uncomfortable, but I can have them as spares, or find a home with
relatives who have MDS-V6 cans.

Jul 23, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #55 of 67
I re-looked through all the pictures ...
they are very close to the same (your 1RBT and my 1RNC) ...
probably any differences would have to be in
a side by side comparison ... sometime maybe I'll see if
I can find a 1RBT and do that side by side.

Thanks for re-checking your setup though.

I was gratified to see the picture in this thread of the battery ...
I think those were Phil1984's pictures .. I am hesitant to take my
new cans apart, but from Phil1984's pics, it looks
like a piece of cake to swap in a replacement SP70A battery !!

Jul 23, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #56 of 67
I don´t think is a biggie to replace the battery if needed, but I think I´ve charged mine like 5 times since I have them. The battery last for ever.

On the pads topic, I would give a second change to the beyer pads. If you look at my pictures, they lip just penetrates into the case in just two sides located at 180º. I don't think the pad is bitting the case in more than 60º of angle in total. The rest of the lip pad is just in a friction fitting kinda mode (using mechanical engineering vocabulary), and I think it´s more than enough to grab the pad in place. The tricky part is to actually get the pad in place. To get the pad in position you need to put part of the lip in the case, and then rotate the pads till the rest of the lip gets in position... Let me know if this helps a little bit more.

Jul 24, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #57 of 67
Good description ...
For now though I'll likely stick to the original pads until they fail, then use the Beyer pads,
and perhaps a dab of superglue where the pads don't quite reach the groove ...
I don't mind the stock pads that much (the Beyerdynamics would be more comfy though)

Feb 7, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #58 of 67
hello guys , I have a question about these headphones. I currently have one of these headphones and I wanted to change my headphone cable with a brand new red L-type cable so I bought a cable as shown in below photo ;

http://imgur.com/yudOfx4

So both headphone tips which are going to headphone and to music player have 3 lines. When I connect this cable between music player and headphone , music comes very weak , vocals are not hearable. I thought that there is a problem in cable but then I realized , when I connect this cables halfway with 2 lines , then it gives normal sound. So when I connect 3 lines fully , it goes into headset mode but with 2 lines it is in headphone mode. I confirmed this when I connect it to my smartphone , my phone realizes it as headset and shows a headshet icon on top of the screen but with 2 lines it comes as a headphone icon.

Is there a way to avoid headset mode when I connect this cable into headphone ? I really liked this cable and I want to keep it. Please advise a solution. Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back