Sony MDR-1RBT Impressions?
Dec 27, 2012 at 9:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

JulesK

Head-Fier
I realize that there are some comments re. these headphones in the big MDR-1R thread, but is anyone aware of a good, detailed review of these headphones?  Or, if you have them, I'd be interested in your impressions.  I recognize that the compression inherent in sending audio through bluetooth will have a negative effect on sound, but if it's minimal, that's a fair trade-off to me for not having a wire.  This seems to be the most promising BT headphone out there. 

Thanks in advance.

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #3 of 35
Thanks (I think).  I was a bit on the fence about these, but that review makes them hard to resist!  Hopefully, the OS6 problems have been solved.  There seems to be conflicting information on that point on the web.

Jan 23, 2013 at 6:10 AM Post #5 of 35
Quote:
I love these headphones but I can't seem to get it to pair with my windows 7 pc. 

Have you held power down for 7 seconds to put it into pairing mode? My PC couldn't see them until I did this. They pair ok, but initially there was a large lip-sync issue of around 1/4 of a second. I reinstalled the drivers, and changed BT properties for them to Audio sink only, and now the delay whilst there is much smaller. The Parrot Ziks I tested had no discernible delay at all, but the 1RBTs and UE9000 had maybe about 1/10th of a second or so.

Jan 26, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #8 of 35
Does not work. Did you actually get anything to play with the headphones? I got it to connect but nothing plays and it is listed as disconnected in sound device manager.

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #10 of 35
Hello there,
I'm new in this forum.
I have a MDR-1RBT for christmas.
It worked fine with my phone (Samsung Galaxy S2).
But with Windows 7 Ultimate, I can only listen, the mic have a bug :
When I enable the mic (Mono Audio Mic) in win 7, and I loopback the mic to speaker, the speaker muted...
I see the volume bar change, (green variation) in this speaker so, I think windows send sound (mic) to the speaker but the headset doesn't play it..
If I disable the mic, I can listen sounds and musics again...
I don't know what is the problem, I've try to switch my Bluetooth USB Dongle 2.1 to a 3.0 USB Dongle, same things...

Do you have this problem ?
Thanks
(sorry for my bad english, I'm French)

Feb 14, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #11 of 35
Guys, can u help me out a bit?
i wanna get the mdr-1rbt's but am not sure weather I should get them or not.
i will only get them if their WIRED performance is as good as the mdr-1r's.
the bluetooth is not very important to me but just a bonus feature.
oh and do they seem too heavy or are they just as comfy as the mdr-1r's???

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #12 of 35
Quote:
Guys, can u help me out a bit?
i wanna get the mdr-1rbt's but am not sure weather I should get them or not.
i will only get them if their WIRED performance is as good as the mdr-1r's.
the bluetooth is not very important to me but just a bonus feature.
oh and do they seem too heavy or are they just as comfy as the mdr-1r's???

I have the -1RBTs, and although I haven't heard the -1Rs to make an A-B comparison, I would have to imagine that they they are very close in sound, but not absolutely the same.  They sounded good enough that I gave my brother my Sennheiser Momentums.  I have A-B'd them against a pair of PSB M4U 2s, as well as my Westone custom IEMs.  In all candor, the Westone's are clearly better than either (and should be, given the cost), but the PSB's in Active mode are a little fuller and more dynamic.  That's the main "deficiency" I noticed with the -1RBTs - the dynamic range of the music is somewhat compressed (i.e., the softs and louds are not as soft and loud compared to a good wired headphone), which I assume is a function of the Bluetooth compression/transmission.  This may actually be a plus for a lot of folks.  If you do a very careful A-B comparison, you could sense that the sound had more grain and was a bit thinner (or less rich) than a good wired headphone.  But, even though you say that BT capability isn't important, it's awesome to not be tethered by the cable.  Unless you are doing critical listening, the sound quality is more than adequate.  On an absolute basis, I think that the sound is very good to excellent, but not quite at the same level of a good wired headphone.  But it's probably the best sounding BT headphone out there.  I really like them, and they are very comfortable, even with glasses.

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #13 of 35
I have the -1RBTs, and although I haven't heard the -1Rs to make an A-B comparison, I would have to imagine that they they are very close in sound, but not absolutely the same.  They sounded good enough that I gave my brother my Sennheiser Momentums.  I have A-B'd them against a pair of PSB M4U 2s, as well as my Westone custom IEMs.  In all candor, the Westone's are clearly better than either (and should be, given the cost), but the PSB's in Active mode are a little fuller and more dynamic.  That's the main "deficiency" I noticed with the -1RBTs - the dynamic range of the music is somewhat compressed (i.e., the softs and louds are not as soft and loud compared to a good wired headphone), which I assume is a function of the Bluetooth compression/transmission.  This may actually be a plus for a lot of folks.  If you do a very careful A-B comparison, you could sense that the sound had more grain and was a bit thinner (or less rich) than a good wired headphone.  But, even though you say that BT capability isn't important, it's awesome to not be tethered by the cable.  Unless you are doing critical listening, the sound quality is more than adequate.  On an absolute basis, I think that the sound is very good to excellent, but not quite at the same level of a good wired headphone.  But it's probably the best sounding BT headphone out there.  I really like them, and they are very comfortable, even with glasses.

Thankyou soo much for your reply.
It was really helpful.
But it has made me even more confused!!!
What I mean is that if I am able to get better sound at lower price they y pay more for bluetooth???

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #14 of 35
These were my very brief impressions comparing the 1RBT to the 1R :-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/625015/sony-has-new-headphones-mdr-1r/960#post_8894330

Feb 14, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #15 of 35
Quote:
These were my very brief impressions comparing the 1RBT to the 1R :-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/625015/sony-has-new-headphones-mdr-1r/960#post_8894330

this is exactly what i wanted!!!!
i was just wondering if you could give me some info on the wired difference as I am going to be listening to most songs wired.
i want the one which sounds the most natural...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back