Sony MDR- 1R vs. Sennheiser Momentum
Jun 30, 2015 at 12:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Brickmaster7398

New Head-Fier
Hi all. I'm looking for some objective comparisons between these two headphones. It seems that people say that the MDR-1R is more comfortable but with slightly lower sound quality. The Momentum is said to be a bit small but sound better. I have average sized ears, so the Momentum might be uncomfortable, but Tyll thinks they are comfortable so I guess I have to try them. I was wondering which has better isolation, mainly for car and plane rides, with music playing. I would assume the MDR-1R, but there are vents on the top. Now that these headphones are similarly priced, which is the better buy? At the moment, I'm leaning towards the Momentum. Are there any other similar sounding headphones in this price range that I should consider? I listen to all kinds of music, mostly older hits. Thanks!

Jun 30, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #2 of 5
Tylll has measurements for all the headphones that he reviews which includes isolation measurements which you can use to compare them: http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-data-sheet-downloads.

Jun 30, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #3 of 5
Hey,

Momentum isolates slightly better than MDR-1R.
You should consider the Nad Viso HP-50.

If isolation is your main priority then go IEMs.

Best Luck!

Jun 30, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #4 of 5
Tylll has measurements for all the headphones that he reviews which includes isolation measurements which you can use to compare them: http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-data-sheet-downloads.

Those measurments look quite different, but I don't really know how too read them. 
  Hey,

Momentum isolates slightly better than MDR-1R.
You should consider the Nad Viso HP-50.

If isolation is your main priority then go IEMs.

Best Luck!

The Viso HP50 is a bit out of my price range, sadly.

I would go the IEM route, but I find them uncomfortable for long periods of time. Then again, I've never tried custom ones, but I think they are out of my price range as well. What would you recommend as having a similar sound signature? I think the SE215 was mentioned somewhere, and it looks somewhat comfortable, but I hear it has more bass than these two. 

Jun 30, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #5 of 5
Those measurments look quite different, but I don't really know how too read them. 

See how the left side has a zero and then goes down with negative numbers? The higher the negative number (lower down the chart), the more isolation the headphone has for a given frequency.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back