Sony mdr-1r vs Sennheiser Momentum vs Sennheiser Amperior vs Akg K550
Nov 2, 2013 at 5:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Pedro Oliveira

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi guys.... :)

(First of all.... yes i already know... i am comparing a big size headphones like the k550 to 3 portable headphones but its all about the price and sound quality... (portability is always a bonus though...)

So heres the story....

I got the momentums and they sounded amazing with everything, a bit too laidback for edm but still very enjoyable... so i returned them.... XD

Why? the fit.... They sounded amazing but the fit kept me from concentrating on the music....

So here i am....3 great options... Similar prices...

Sony Mdr 1R

Sennheiser Amperior

Akg k550

They all cost around 160/170 euros...

I listen to pretty much everything but i mainly listen to pop, indie, rock, house, progressive and trance....
From Bon Iver to Grizzly Bear, from Coldplay to Lana Del rey, from Artic Monkeys to Biffy Clyro, from the deepest edm to 138 bpm trance and above....

So wich one is better in terms of sound and technicalities (resolution, etc...)?

Any of them will match or even be better than the sennheiser momentums?

What do you guys think will be the best and more enjoyable option for me?

Cheers... :)

Nov 3, 2013 at 5:59 AM Post #5 of 36
K550 with warm amp ^_^

I have been told the same on headfonics :-D with something like the e11?

The k550 are really the cheapest of the bunch. I can them in mint condition for 109 euros. My only concerns about the is the fit since the are many complains and also i have read of unit variations (different sounding).

To have something that i could use at home and on the streets would be a bonus imackler. no amping would be good as well. I am not considering the hd25s and the aluminiums because the amperiors are cheaper the those 2. The amperiors seem to sound really awesome. A friend of mine tried the amperiors and the momentums side by side and he told me that the momentums soundeda bit muddy when compared with the amperiors. Do you guys agree?

So the sonys are the weakest pair of the bunch?

Nov 3, 2013 at 6:12 AM Post #6 of 36
I have been told the same on headfonics :-D with something like the e11?

The k550 are really the cheapest of the bunch. I can them in mint condition for 109 euros. My only concerns about the is the fit since the are many complains and also i have read of unit variations (different sounding).

To have something that i could use at home and on the streets would be a bonus imackler. no amping would be good as well. I am not considering the hd25s and the aluminiums because the amperiors are cheaper the those 2. The amperiors seem to sound really awesome. A friend of mine tried the amperiors and the momentums side by side and he told me that the momentums soundeda bit muddy when compared with the amperiors. Do you guys agree?

So the sonys are the weakest pair of the bunch?

Something like the E07K will do as well the E11 is better though xD

If you are worried about the fitting issue, there's the new AKG K545 which fixes it!

The MDR-1R is by no mean the worse headphone out of all but it definitely will not suit you in my opinion

Billson :)

Nov 3, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #7 of 36
The cheaper the amp, the better..... XD

But have you tried the 4 of them billson (the momentums as well)?
Many people say the momentums have better resolution than the amperiors for example but that at the same time they are a bit muddier.... This is a bit odd.... XD

If the Amperior mantained the same resolution and ability to do several genres well as the momentums, added clarity, and a bit more energy, i would order them right away... they are not the most well built but still they look pretty cool and versatyle...

The mdr 1r's are beautifull... i really like them and tyll for example seems to believe they are the best portable around... the problem seem be the low end unfortunately... ;(

For example i liked the sound of the momentums for everything... except edm... rock and pop sounded amazing, but edm sounded a bit too laidback and slow...

If it was not the odd fit i would keep the momentums, because although being laidback eletric guitars sounded amazing on the... amazing definiton....

Nov 3, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #8 of 36
The cheaper the amp, the better..... XD

But have you tried the 4 of them billson (the momentums as well)?
Many people say the momentums have better resolution than the amperiors for example but that at the same time they are a bit muddier.... This is a bit odd.... XD

If the Amperior mantained the same resolution and ability to do several genres well as the momentums, added clarity, and a bit more energy, i would order them right away... they are not the most well built but still they look pretty cool and versatyle...

The mdr 1r's are beautifull... i really like them and tyll for example seems to believe they are the best portable around... the problem seem be the low end unfortunately... ;(

For example i liked the sound of the momentums for everything... except edm... rock and pop sounded amazing, but edm sounded a bit too laidback and slow...

If it was not the odd fit i would keep the momentums, because although being laidback eletric guitars sounded amazing on the... amazing definiton....

I have tried the MDR-1R, Momentum, K550 and PSB M4U1(let's just include this xD ) The MDR-1R is definitely not for you! Forget it!!! xD unless you are in love with warm, smooth and slightly colored mids.

Momentum vs K550 on the other hand... Can't recall much but the K550 sound brighter in comparison, wider soundstage and better imaging. K550 also offer a much tighter bass than Momentum. Both extends deep but the Momentum has more quantity. Both are excellently built.

PSB M4U1 have nothing to compare against those two headphone mentioned above when it comes to build quality BUT it's got even better imaging than K550 and I think that's where it's value really come from! PSB M4U1 share similar sound signature as K550 but it does not have the K550's treble issue. It is also easier to achieve good seal for good sound. Pairing it with a warmer amp will help as well

Billson :)

Nov 3, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #9 of 36
I apreciate the sugestion of the psb's billson but they exceed my budget... I have to choose one of theser 3... the psbs are almost 100 euros more expensive.... XD
The problem on the 1r's is the bass right? In terms os resolution they are also weaker then the momentums but have a better imaging and soundstage right?

Nov 3, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #10 of 36
The momentum and K550 are in the same level, I would say the AKG are more detailed and have a much better soundstage and separation. The momentum ate great, Very musical with a fun sound. It is very congested and this ruins the detail. The MDR1r I really dislike. It sounds very unbalanced to my ears but it has a relaxing sound which is nice. I believe the DT770 is a better headphone because it has a better soundstage and also has that fun factor and it's detailed. They also look great and are tank like. The momentum are overpriced and with that in mind I'd probably put you towards the AKG or DT770.

Nov 3, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #11 of 36
The momentum and K550 are in the same level, I would say the AKG are more detailed and have a much better soundstage and separation. The momentum ate great, Very musical with a fun sound. It is very congested and this ruins the detail. The MDR1r I really dislike. It sounds very unbalanced to my ears but it has a relaxing sound which is nice. I believe the DT770 is a better headphone because it has a better soundstage and also has that fun factor and it's detailed. They also look great and are tank like. The momentum are overpriced and with that in mind I'd probably put you towards the AKG or DT770.

The momentums were not overpriced to me because they only costed me 160 euros... XD

I can get the akg k550's for 109 euros in their "reconditioned" section or 135 new.... 
the sony mdr 1r's for 130 in Portugal. I know a guy who is selling them for this price and i know that they were bought less than a week ago...
The amperiors would be the more expensive pair... 175 new on amazon....

The akg's for 109 euros seem like an amazing deal... although they are recondisioned or open boxed or whatever it is they must be in mint condition according to amazons standards and even if i dont like the way they look or the way they sound i can always return them since i will still have the 30 day return policy in my favor...

I had to admit though that as my first choice i was leaning towards the amperiors......

Nov 3, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #12 of 36
I find the amperior ok sounding.
Try the K550 and if you don't like them return them.

Nov 3, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #14 of 36
It's not that, It's just they are different. The amperior to my ears sound a bit more spacious but lack the nice tone that the momentums have. I found them on the boring side, you already have the momentums so it's not going to be easy to find anything better just side grades. Do you want a legitimate upgrade or are you looking for a flavour change?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back