Sony mdr-1r vs Sennheiser Momentum vs Sennheiser Amperior vs Akg K550
Nov 3, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #16 of 36
I apreciate the sugestion of the psb's billson but they exceed my budget... I have to choose one of theser 3... the psbs are almost 100 euros more expensive.... XD
The problem on the 1r's is the bass right? In terms os resolution they are also weaker then the momentums but have a better imaging and soundstage right?

Yes the Momentum have much better resolution than the MDR-1R! The MDR-1R also have early roll off bass but in return you get better imaging and soundstage than Momentum but it is still nothing much when compared to K550!

My vote still go to K550 + E11/E07K xD

Nov 3, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #17 of 36
It's not that, It's just they are different. The amperior to my ears sound a bit more spacious but lack the nice tone that the momentums have. I found them on the boring side, you already have the momentums so it's not going to be easy to find anything better just side grades. Do you want a legitimate upgrade or are you looking for a flavour change?

I just want something as good as the momentum,. Same resolution, that does all the genres well (at least the ones i mentioned), with better fit and if possible a option for outside use would be great as well. I did not pick this headphones randomly, in terms of price (all of them do not exceed the 170 euros mark), sound quality and versatility they simply seem to be the better options to match the momentums....

I dont have many complains about the momentum.... Soundwise my only complains were the lack soundstage and the lack of some energy on edm (they are a bit to laidback for edm although having a good amount of bass...), but i could easily live with this because they made most of the genres sound awesome and the resolution is the better i heard so far. 

What really killed it was the fit. I have 67 mm ears... they are only 3mm bigger than the average size male ear...Most part of the ears was inside of the cup but just a tiny tiny bit remained outside and with a bit of movement i always had the feeling that i did not had a good fit on both sides and this resulted in a impression of defective seal.

Believe me i wanted to keep them, i really wanted to keep them.... they sound and look amazing, they have fantastic build quality but every 2 minutes (on the first 10 minutes it felt ok...) i was readjusting the headphones...

Mike (hifiguy528) i can try the k550 but i have no amps... In one of your videos you claim to love bass, so my question is are the akgs able to deliver good sound quality straight from a 4th generation ipod touch? will they do the genres i mentioned well and will the bass be enough for edm (fun like the hd25's for example)? are they on the same level as the momentums in terms of resolution and overall sound quality?

Thank very much to you all for your patience... you guys are amazing... :)

Nov 4, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #18 of 36
I just want something as good as the momentum,. Same resolution, that does all the genres well (at least the ones i mentioned), with better fit and if possible a option for outside use would be great as well. I did not pick this headphones randomly, in terms of price (all of them do not exceed the 170 euros mark), sound quality and versatility they simply seem to be the better options to match the momentums....

I dont have many complains about the momentum.... Soundwise my only complains were the lack soundstage and the lack of some energy on edm (they are a bit to laidback for edm although having a good amount of bass...), but i could easily live with this because they made most of the genres sound awesome and the resolution is the better i heard so far. 

What really killed it was the fit. I have 67 mm ears... they are only 3mm bigger than the average size male ear...Most part of the ears was inside of the cup but just a tiny tiny bit remained outside and with a bit of movement i always had the feeling that i did not had a good fit on both sides and this resulted in a impression of defective seal.

Believe me i wanted to keep them, i really wanted to keep them.... they sound and look amazing, they have fantastic build quality but every 2 minutes (on the first 10 minutes it felt ok...) i was readjusting the headphones...

Mike (hifiguy528) i can try the k550 but i have no amps... In one of your videos you claim to love bass, so my question is are the akgs able to deliver good sound quality straight from a 4th generation ipod touch? will they do the genres i mentioned well and will the bass be enough for edm (fun like the hd25's for example)? are they on the same level as the momentums in terms of resolution and overall sound quality?

Thank very much to you all for your patience... you guys are amazing... :)

Forgot to mention that the new AKG K545 should not have the sealing issue, it's warmer than before so a warmer amp is no longer required xD

Nov 4, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #21 of 36
Ahhhh I forgot again! Haha..

Anyway, if you point a gun at my head and asking me rank all these three I will rate them this way;
AKG K550 -> Sennheiser Momentum -> Sony MDR-1R

Billson
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks billson.... XD

I see no love for the amperiors on my poll... They were my first choice (although they are the most expensive ones) but many people seem to prefer the mdr 1r's.....

The mdr 1r's are beautifull, specially the silver version... too bad they are not on par with the others in terms of sound quality... 

Although tyll from innerfidelity seems to like them... he agrees that they cannot match the momentums in terms of sq but one thing is for sure.. the momentums are now out of the all of fame because of the new NAD's and the sony's are still hangin there... :) 

Would love to try them someday....

Nov 4, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #22 of 36
Thanks billson.... XD

I see no love for the amperiors on my poll... They were my first choice (although they are the most expensive ones) but many people seem to prefer the mdr 1r's.....

The mdr 1r's are beautifull, specially the silver version... too bad they are not on par with the others in terms of sound quality... 

Although tyll from innerfidelity seems to like them... he agrees that they cannot match the momentums in terms of sq but one thing is for sure.. the momentums are now out of the all of fame because of the new NAD's and the sony's are still hangin there... :) 

Would love to try them someday....

HOLD ON SIR! There's the MDR-1R MK2! I am not sure how much it improve in sound though...

Nov 4, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #23 of 36
HOLD ON SIR! There's the MDR-1R MK2! I am not sure how much it improve in sound though...

You are right mr. Billson... XD

At first i thought you were talking about the new mdr 10r's wich are worst than the 1r's....

but check this out....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYf1ULYdxio

There is indeed a mdr 1r mkII.

In terms of design they look exactly the same. But the first thing that pops out is that in the box the is a sticker that is also on the new portable amps from sony and that sticker has "high def audio" written... the new mdr 1rs are probably capable of handling the new high definition amps from sony and are probably better... I am looking forward for a review...

Nov 4, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #24 of 36
You are right mr. Billson... XD

At first i thought you were talking about the new mdr 10r's wich are worst than the 1r's....

but check this out....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYf1ULYdxio

There is indeed a mdr 1r mkII.

In terms of design they look exactly the same. But the first thing that pops out is that in the box the is a sticker that is also on the new portable amps from sony and that sticker has "high def audio" written... the new mdr 1rs are probably capable of handling the new high definition amps from sony and are probably better... I am looking forward for a review...

Yes! Wait for a few review on the MK2 xD guess the waiting begins :p

Nov 4, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #25 of 36
There are a couple of interesting headphones out now with almost info... this new mdr 1r mkii and also the new cal!2. The cal!2 is already out and its amazing how no one has not tryed them yet....

Hifiguy528 says they will be the same in terms of sq, but with just different cables.... if this is true.... ;( but on ther other hand the original 1r price IS GOING DOWN!!!!!!! XD

Nov 4, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #26 of 36
There are a couple of interesting headphones out now with almost info... this new mdr 1r mkii and also the new cal!2. The cal!2 is already out and its amazing how no one has not tryed them yet....

Hifiguy528 says they will be the same in terms of sq, but with just different cables.... if this is true.... ;( but on ther other hand the original 1r price IS GOING DOWN!!!!!!! XD

Did some searching, the new MK2 seem to have deeper bass which is a good thing! Yep... Somehow, the CAL!2 have no love haha

Nov 4, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #27 of 36
Did some searching, the new MK2 seem to have deeper bass which is a good thing! Yep... Somehow, the CAL!2 have no love haha

I did too.... thing is.... i am a bit affraid this is just marketing..... check this...

http://www.sony-asia.com/microsite/hiresaudio/?hpid=hra:pa:modelpage:rhsban

Somewhere in the middle of the page there is the variety of products that support thei so called "High Resolution Audio" and the regular 1r is one of them.... to be honest i never saw this being advertised with the original 1r's and now magically it is there.... XD

But at least if they fixed the flaws of the original 1r on this new mkII version it would be already great..... although i have my doubts when it comes to matching the sound qaulity of other similar products like the momentums, the kefs, etc, etc, etc....

If the 1r had the same resolution of the momentums and just the right amount of bass for edm (i never tried them but everyone told me they are bass light) believe me, i would get a silver pair right away because to my eyes, they may not be better built, but they are as beautifull if not more than the momentums.... :)

Nov 4, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #28 of 36
I did too.... thing is.... i am a bit affraid this is just marketing..... check this...

http://www.sony-asia.com/microsite/hiresaudio/?hpid=hra:pa:modelpage:rhsban

Somewhere in the middle of the page there is the variety of products that support thei so called "High Resolution Audio" and the regular 1r is one of them.... to be honest i never saw this being advertised with the original 1r's and now magically it is there.... XD

But at least if they fixed the flaws of the original 1r on this new mkII version it would be already great..... although i have my doubts when it comes to matching the sound qaulity of other similar products like the momentums, the kefs, etc, etc, etc....

If the 1r had the same resolution of the momentums and just the right amount of bass for edm (i never tried them but everyone told me they are bass light) believe me, i would get a silver pair right away because to my eyes, they may not be better built, but they are as beautifull if not more than the momentums.... :)

Not MDR-1R is much more comfortable as well xD

Nov 4, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #29 of 36
Anything is more confortable than the momentums... :wink: Shame on sennheiser for not releasing bigger pads Like v moda did with the m100s... With bigger pads my momentums would not go anywhere...

May 22, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #30 of 36
Update:

Had the k550 a couple of months ago. I am sorry guys but i hated them, to thin sounding, to trebly, not enough bass for me and serious ppsitioning issues since only on certain ways i would get a minimal bass quantity to fulfill my needs.
Meanwhile i sould the momentums, loved them and i stil
Do but tje disconfort after 10 minutes simply did not allow me to enjoy how amazing they sounded...
Also got and sold the sony mdr 1r... Almowt as beautifull or even more than the momentums but the construction seems to be a bit fragile since it seemed like of they would get seriously damaged if they fell on the floor, specially the plastoc parts.... Anyway i loved the design and did not sell them because of that, they were very comfortable but my ears touched the drivers a bit.... It was bareable but what really made me sell them was the sound signature.... Not that they were bad they just were too coloured for me.... Vocals sounded very muffled to my ears and there was too much colouration to the sound overall. I could only enjoy them with a rock or eletronic eq on my ipod touch. To my ears the momentums are a few notches better, specially when it comes to clarity, refinement and resolution. And also the overall signature suita me better.

Right now i have a pair of sennheiser hd25 basic edition... The confort is a pain in the ..... But after a while or even using them with sunglasses they dont bother as much. The sound on them to me is really good. I would just add a tiny tiny tiny more rumble to the bass and reduce very very slighyly the treble because of the treble but overall i like them a lot because they have amazing bass and a very clear and detailed sound. Soundstage is lacking though of coursr....

For now i am keeping the hd25. But still i have my eyes on a 100 euro amperior.... Maybe ill keep both.... Despite the confort issues the amperior seems to sound amazing as well.

I know over ears are always better but for now i amm loving the hd25s (and if possible the amperiors in the near future), specially the clear and full sound and the amazing seal\fit.... No matter how i move my head its very dificult for them to move and even if they do the seal is never lost and therfore that does not reflect on the sound (specially on the bass like it happened with the momentums where listening to edm it was clear the differences in bass caused by moving the head and loosing fit).

Ill keep it coming.... :wink:
You guys also keep sharing.... :-D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back