Sony MDR-1R Vs Mad Dog
Feb 24, 2013 at 12:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Noahjaws

Head-Fier
Hey all,

I just cant seem to make up my mind on what headpones i want  After purchasing these, i wont be buying anymore for a year.

Both the 1R and the MDs are in the same price range.  I am currently leaning towards the MDs with ALPHA dog pads

How do these compare in

Isolation
Comfort
Sound Quality
Portability
Soundstage

I will be using an iphone 4s with a C&C BH portable amp (300mw output) with an LOD for a source

Thanks

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #2 of 21
Quote:
Hey all,

I just cant seem to make up my mind on what headpones i want  After purchasing these, i wont be buying anymore for a year.

Both the 1R and the MDs are in the same price range.  I am currently leaning towards the MDs with ALPHA dog pads

How do these compare in

Isolation
Comfort
Sound Quality
Portability
Soundstage

I will be using an iphone 4s with a C&C BH portable amp (300mw output) with an LOD for a source

Thanks

For portable use go with Sony, really. I own both, btw.

Feb 24, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:
You are the reason i started this thread haha.
I was set on the mad dogs until you came around my other thread and made me have second thoughts.

I am surprised anyone even consider or recommend them for portable use when no one even think of doing the same for LCD-2.
They do have the same power requirements, yes, you'll be able to hear them out of your portable rig, but really that would be just a shadow of what they can do properly amped. And even though MD are more comfortable than LCD they are heavy and bulky, and look is also not very "take me out" inspiring.
Don't take it wrong, I like MD, a lot, but the SQ difference to my ears is not that great, it's more about presentation, and MDR-1R IMO is a definite win for on the go application, for the record they scale extremely well with the system too.

Feb 24, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #5 of 21
I liked the Mad Dogs much more than the MDR-1R.

Feb 24, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:
I am surprised anyone even consider or recommend them for portable use when no one even think of doing the same for LCD-2.
They do have the same power requirements, yes, you'll be able to hear them out of your portable rig, but really that would be just a shadow of what they can do properly amped. And even though MD are more comfortable than LCD they are heavy and bulky, and look is also not very "take me out" inspiring.
Don't take it wrong, I like MD, a lot, but the SQ difference to my ears is not that great, it's more about presentation, and MDR-1R IMO is a definite win for on the go application, for the record they scale extremely well with the system too.

Quote:

See... this is why i cant make my decision.  I will be using them mostly at home, but i might buy a HE400 headphone case to put them in to bring them around sometimes.

Whats the durability difference of the two?

Feb 24, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #7 of 21
If you can somehow get to a meet where you can try them yourself, you can make the best informed decision.  Otherwise make use of a good return policy when you can't make up your mind.  Your ears will tell you whether you like them or not.

Feb 24, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #8 of 21

See... this is why i cant make my decision.  I will be using them mostly at home, but i might buy a HE400 headphone case to put them in to bring them around sometimes.

Whats the durability difference of the two?
Thats why this hobby is so great.

Feb 24, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:
I have both and would definitely go for 1R for portable use. It's a no-brainer.

Finally, words of wisdom. No doubt, powered with hefty amp MDs will outshine the Sony, but for portable use ...
BTW, listening to Ott latest album "Mir" on Alpha Dogs MD right now, nice is not strong enough word to describe how great it sounds. They are really punching well above their weight.

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #13 of 21
home use = mad dog it looks ugly specially with the stickers on (no offense mr. speakers!), the t50rp is heavy as well i tend to get dizzy after an hour of wearing it when i had my modded t50rp

outside and home use = 1R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back