Sony MDR-1R series MK2
Apr 12, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #526 of 546
The mk2 has a fair bit of mid bass emphasis while being a touch shy in sub bass. Overall its quite a satisfying low end when paired with my s5, serious bass heads may want to look elsewhere but none of my friends who have listened to them have complained about a lack of bass, they all come away quite impressed.

Apr 12, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #527 of 546
  The mk2 has a fair bit of mid bass emphasis while being a touch shy in sub bass. Overall its quite a satisfying low end when paired with my s5, serious bass heads may want to look elsewhere but none of my friends who have listened to them have complained about a lack of bass, they all come away quite impressed.

Thats right, But I installed Viper4Android app in my phone and Now the MK2 rocks!!!

The difference is night and day and puts a smile on my face for every song, No more rattling issues, The software is amazing with lot of features especially for bluetooth it has all the features like wired headset,..The bass is fantastic, I tweaked the setting to increase subbass and its on par with my beyer 770 with great midrange..I couldnt believe the sound coming from the bluetooth , its like listening it from a headphone + amplifier, and I can increase the volume to any level without a single distortion..You should try and see..

I guess now the sound from Viper4Android is 2x better than default aptx, But I have to try again with the S5 and see..

Has anyone installled viper4android and tested the MK2? Please share the experience..

Apr 12, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #528 of 546

I agree with this assessment of the MDR1RBTMK2.  They do have a mild mid bass hump both wired and Bluetooth mode.  They are not lacking in bass presentation.  They present overall a very well balanced sound from highs to lows.  They are detailed without being harsh in any part of the spectrum.  They are very satisfying Bluetooth headphones and I recommend them for those looking for normal accurate response headphones. They have no perceivable coloration of vocals or instruments.  They present the sound accurately to my ears.
If you want more of a mellow laid back smooth sound with extra bass emphasis, the Sony XB950BT model which I also have fills the bill.  They are a fun sounding set of headphones but they present a more laid back (less highs) than the MK2.  But they also present accurate vocal tones with no coloration. The extra bass button turned on though can be over powering and the bass can sound loose and uncontrolled at times.  But with the right music genre, they shine beautifully.  Your choice. 

Apr 16, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #529 of 546
Hi, I'm new to the forum. 

I've owned the mk2 for some months but never had the chance of using it for calling until recently got calls from friend of mine when I'm using the mk2. The problem came up was that the mic is not sensitive at all. I need to speak very loud so that the caller from the other end can hear my voice. I brought the mk2 to Sony for inspection and they said it is normal and function properly. 

mk2 was discontinued in my area and there is not more item on display but the MDr-10rBT which I assume it should be similar to mk2 from the phone call perspective. the 10r clearly has no such problem. I'm frustrated about this as my mk2 is still under warranty and if it is proved to be defective, sony should fix them for me. I just wonder whether you guys have any cue on this or encounter similar problem when making calls?

thanks.

Apr 23, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #530 of 546
Hi Guys I'm new in Head-fi and i just bought sony-mdr-1r-series-mk2..
Can i buy a portable amplifier and use it using the connecting cord??

is there any side effect to the headphone if i use another amplifier??

and if i use the connecting cord to the headphone does it need to be lowbat or empty??

-- Sorry for my english and im just new in head-fi...
-- Please tell me and help me ..

Apr 23, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #531 of 546

and if i use the connecting cord to the headphone does it need to be lowbat or empty??

You can use a portable amp but it kind of defeats the purpose of having wireless headphones and I never really found them to improve with amping. The battery level doesnt matter.

Apr 23, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #532 of 546

Depends what you are connecting it to in the first place, If you already have a high/mid end dap, the improvement is probably not worth it. In general there are no side effects if you pick a decent amp.

You can use a portable amp but it kind of defeats the purpose of having wireless headphones and I never really found them to improve with amping. The battery level doesnt matter.

He never said he has the wireless BT version.

Apr 23, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #534 of 546

Depends what you are connecting it to in the first place, If you already have a high/mid end dap, the improvement is probably not worth it. In general there are no side effects if you pick a decent amp.

He never said he has the wireless BT version.

I have the wilress BT version sir.
Thank you also for the advice sir :)
I'm glad that there are no side effects to it and if  buying an amp isn't worth at all for mk2.
I have to think again btw thanks.

Aug 18, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #535 of 546
I have been using the Mk2 since February last year. Built like a tank, sound great and overall a fantastic experience. Had to replace the ear pads as the ones it comes with are not thick enough and my ears were touching the drivers.

Should you buy an amplifier to use with Mk2? Absolutely! Don't forget, behind all the AptX and Bluetooth bells and whistles, MDR-1RBTs are a very decent pair of cans when wired. Paired with mt Soundblaster E5 they sound fantastic, even when the volume is cranked up to ear bleeding levels. They sound OK over Bluetooth with AptX paired with my LG G4 or my PC equipped with the Sennheiser  AptX adapter. However, wired and plugged in in the Soundblaster EX they are just great when I'm at my desktop and with the Soundblaster E5 I can take all that goodness on the go. The DAC in most phones is crap in comparison with a decent dedicated DAC/amp. Another great thing about the E5 is that I connect it to my laptop at work via USB while at the same time connected to my phone over Bluetooth. Try this setup while playing 24 bit 192 kHz sound via Foobar2000 on your MDR-1RBT Mk2 to find out what they're made of :D

Aug 28, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #536 of 546
I just wanted to update my thoughts on the Mk.2. Initially I absolutely hated them because they were too warm for me, and the mids sounded very muffled. The treble was also extremely distorted at louder volumes. However an entire year later, and what I assume is 300 hours of playback; the Mk.2's have definitely grew on me. It might also be due to my change in sound preferences. That being jazz music, upgrading to a warmer set of tubes for my main setup, and I'm no longer too much of a treble head.

My only gripe is that these seem like very mid-centric pair of cans though. There isn't a huge sub-bass emphasis, nor is there refined treble characteristics.

Interesting...

I'm loving the soundstage though, it seems to be bigger than what I remember it to be.

Sep 23, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #537 of 546
Interesting indeed. Bass and sub-bass sounds great when I use them with X3 II. They are so comfortable to wear and to listen to! I use them when jogging as they protect my ears from freezing. As it gets hotter, I'll start using my Flare R2 Pros more.

Oct 1, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #540 of 546
  I have been using the Mk2 since February last year. Built like a tank, sound great and overall a fantastic experience. Had to replace the ear pads as the ones it comes with are not thick enough and my ears were touching the drivers.

I have a pair of the MDR-1RBT Mk2, and I have this same with the ear pads not being thick enough for me.  It can be very painful after a short listening time because of this, especially as my left ear is compressed by the driver.

How did you replace the earpads?

Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back