Sony MDR-1R series MK2
Apr 5, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #511 of 546
Question for those of you that have the MDR1RBTMK2 headphones and either of these standalone Bluetooth AptX transmitters: Avantree Priva or the Miccus TX4.
I have these transmitters and noticed a strange symptom of concern to me when connecting and pairing my headphones to these transmitters in AptX mode.

The Sony MDR1RBTMK2 LED status indicator only blinks 2 times meaning it is not in AptX mode when I connect to these two mentioned transmitters. (Yes, the Sony headphones are configured to be in AptX mode at power on).
On the Avantree Priva AptX transmitter unit, it flashes its LED status light 2x which means Avantree Priva is in AptX mode when my Sony headphones are connected.  However at the Sony headphones end, the Sony is saying it is not in AptX mode by blinking its LED light 2x.

I then bought the Miccus TX4 Bluetooth 4.0 AptX transmitter to try and see if that would connect with the Sony headphones properly.  The Miccus TX4 also has the same problem.  The Sony headphone refuses to connect in AptX mode to this transmitter shown by the Sony headphone's LED status mode light flashing only 2x. 

The Sony headphone otherwise connects perfectly in AptX mode to my USB Bluetooth 4.0 AptX enabled dongles connected to my laptops and PC's by flasing its LED mode status light 3x.
The Sony headphone also connects properly in AptX mode to my LG G3 cell phone again indicated by the Sony headphone's LED status light blinking 3x.

So I suspect some kind of error communication the AptX protocol between these stand-alone Avantree Priva and Miccus TX4 transmitters.  They do not make the Sony headphones connect in AptX mode.

Anyone can confirm if they notice same symptoms with these transmitters and their AptX headphones (Sony or other brand AptX headphones)? 

Apr 5, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #512 of 546
  Question for those of you that have the MDR1RBTMK2 headphones and either of these standalone Bluetooth AptX transmitters: Avantree Priva or the Miccus TX4.
I have these transmitters and noticed a strange symptom of concern to me when connecting and pairing my headphones to these transmitters in AptX mode.

The Sony MDR1RBTMK2 LED status indicator only blinks 2 times meaning it is not in AptX mode when I connect to these two mentioned transmitters. (Yes, the Sony headphones are configured to be in AptX mode at power on).
On the Avantree Priva AptX transmitter unit, it flashes its LED status light 2x which means Avantree Priva is in AptX mode when my Sony headphones are connected.  However at the Sony headphones end, the Sony is saying it is not in AptX mode by blinking its LED light 2x.

I then bought the Miccus TX4 Bluetooth 4.0 AptX transmitter to try and see if that would connect with the Sony headphones properly.  The Miccus TX4 also has the same problem.  The Sony headphone refuses to connect in AptX mode to this transmitter shown by the Sony headphone's LED status mode light flashing only 2x. 

The Sony headphone otherwise connects perfectly in AptX mode to my USB Bluetooth 4.0 AptX enabled dongles connected to my laptops and PC's by flasing its LED mode status light 3x.
The Sony headphone also connects properly in AptX mode to my LG G3 cell phone again indicated by the Sony headphone's LED status light blinking 3x.

So I suspect some kind of error communication the AptX protocol between these stand-alone Avantree Priva and Miccus TX4 transmitters.  They do not make the Sony headphones connect in AptX mode.

Anyone can confirm if they notice same symptoms with these transmitters and their AptX headphones (Sony or other brand AptX headphones)? 

I don't seem to recall there being a requirement for the headphone to blink 3x upon connection to an AptX enabled source. So long as you are booting up the headphone while enabling AptX (holding Volume Up key + power) and the headphone LED blinks 3x blue flashes after the initial red flashes (which indicates the battery level), the MDR1RBTMK2 are already in AptX mode and it just requires an AptX enabled source (phones, USB dongles, etc) to take advantage of it.

Apr 6, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #513 of 546
  I don't seem to recall there being a requirement for the headphone to blink 3x upon connection to an AptX enabled source. So long as you are booting up the headphone while enabling AptX (holding Volume Up key + power) and the headphone LED blinks 3x blue flashes after the initial red flashes (which indicates the battery level), the MDR1RBTMK2 are already in AptX mode and it just requires an AptX enabled source (phones, USB dongles, etc) to take advantage of it.

From the Sony English documentation I see, they provide a chart showing what the blinking LED status lights represent. They don't specifically mention AptX mode but rather specify or describe the mode that AptX is supposed to be enabled and working as "Playing music or During a call (Connected HFP/HSP and A2DP)" blinking 3x at intervals.  See chart I cut and pasted for reference: (Hmmm, for some reason when I submit the chart, it does not show the blinking interval patterns here.  So I will type it in manually here:

Red = 0  Blue = O

Pairing mode                                                                                    O0O0O0O0O0O0O0O0O0 ...
Connectable                                                                                      O--O--O--O--O--O--O--O--O ...
Connecting                                                                                        OO-OO-OO-OO-OO-OO-OO- ...
Connected (HFP/HSP or A2DP)                                                       O---------O-------- ...
Connected (HFP/HSP and A2DP)                                                    O-O-------O-O------- ...
Playing music or During a call (Connected HFP/HSP or A2DP)     OO--------OO-------- ...

Playing music or During a call (Connected HFP/HSP and A2DP)  OOO-------OOO------- ...   <-- This is the AptX mode (3 blinks of Blue light)
Incoming call                                                                                   OOOOOOOOOOOO ....

Apr 6, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #514 of 546

From the Sony English documentation I see, they provide a chart showing what the blinking LED status lights represent. They don't specifically mention AptX mode but rather specify or describe the mode that AptX is supposed to be enabled and working as "Playing music or During a call (Connected HFP/HSP and A2DP)" blinking 3x at intervals.  See chart I cut and pasted for reference: (Hmmm, for some reason when I submit the chart, it does not show the blinking interval patterns here.  So I will type it in manually here:

Red = 0  Blue = O

Pairing mode                                                                                    O0O0O0O0O0O0O0O0O0 ...
Connectable                                                                                      O--O--O--O--O--O--O--O--O ...
Connecting                                                                                        OO-OO-OO-OO-OO-OO-OO- ...
Connected (HFP/HSP or A2DP)                                                       O---------O-------- ...
Connected (HFP/HSP and A2DP)                                                    O-O-------O-O------- ...
Playing music or During a call (Connected HFP/HSP or A2DP)     OO--------OO-------- ...

Playing music or During a call (Connected HFP/HSP and A2DP)  OOO-------OOO------- ...   <-- This is the AptX mode (3 blinks of Blue light)
Incoming call                                                                                   OOOOOOOOOOOO ....

That's with HFP/HSP AND A2DP, the 2 blinking lights is OR, so it can still be A2DP wiht 2 blinking lights...

Apr 6, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #515 of 546

That's with HFP/HSP AND A2DP, the 2 blinking lights is OR, so it can still be A2DP wiht 2 blinking lights...

Okay, I suppose then that since it could be in A2DP mode with the LED blink 2x interval, then it could be using the AptX codec mode too. So maybe it's okay.
But I want to confirm that the Sony is really indeed using the AptX codec during this 2x blinking mode.  There is no way to do that I guess.

Apr 6, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #516 of 546
  Okay, I suppose then that since it could be in A2DP mode with the LED blink 2x interval, then it could be using the AptX codec mode too. So maybe it's okay.
But I want to confirm that the Sony is really indeed using the AptX codec during this 2x blinking mode.  There is no way to do that I guess.

If your transmitter is in Aptx mode, clear the connected device memory, start the sony headphones holding power and volume -, this should force it in normal mode and see if the trasmitter still shows it's connected in aptx mode.

Apr 10, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #517 of 546
Hello all, new to the forum.  I have a quick question for you guys & gals.  I ordered the Sony MDR-1RBT MK2 from Amazon yesterday (got them for $288) and just received them this morning.  My concern is I may have received a return/demo/opened box when the description of the item clearly stated it was new.  There was no plastic shrink wrap around the box, there are additional stickers over the original barcode stickers on the box and where the bag and manual is stored there was an extra twist tie.  There was the micro USB charging cable, headphone connecting cable (both of which had twist ties on them) along with the manual and carry pouch.  Looking at the back of the box of the items included this seems to be correct.  I don't order from Amazon much so I'm not sure if this is common but I don't like paying for a new device and not getting what I paid for... just wondering how your items arrived.  Were they shrink wrapped and were there additional stickers over the barcodes on the bottom of the box?  Thanks!

Apr 10, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #518 of 546
  Hello all, new to the forum.  I have a quick question for you guys & gals.  I ordered the Sony MDR-1RBT MK2 from Amazon yesterday (got them for $288) and just received them this morning.  My concern is I may have received a return/demo/opened box when the description of the item clearly stated it was new.  There was no plastic shrink wrap around the box, there are additional stickers over the original barcode stickers on the box and where the bag and manual is stored there was an extra twist tie.  There was the micro USB charging cable, headphone connecting cable (both of which had twist ties on them) along with the manual and carry pouch.  Looking at the back of the box of the items included this seems to be correct.  I don't order from Amazon much so I'm not sure if this is common but I don't like paying for a new device and not getting what I paid for... just wondering how your items arrived.  Were they shrink wrapped and were there additional stickers over the barcodes on the bottom of the box?  Thanks!

I bought my pair from amazon.com too but paid $295 for them. They've then dropped the price down to $285 right after I bought them and then upped the price again to $288 I see.
Anyway, I got what seemed to be a brand new one and my box outer sleeve cover does not have extra stickers stuck over the original UPC label area.  I can't remember for sure but I recall mine was also shrink wrapped with a sticker on the outside of the shrink wrap too.

I also bought a Sony MDR-XB950BT/B from a seller in Japan for about $135 brand new.  It arrived from Japan to USA in 1 week and was also shrink wrapped brand new. 

Apr 10, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #519 of 546
Thanks Unbiased for the response.  I put it on the charger and it only took about 2 hours for the red light to go away where the manual says it should take 6 hours to fully charge so I'm thinking this was a returned item.  Along with no shrink wrap and the extra stickers over the original UPC code seems to point in that direction.  I did pair them with my phone and they sounded good, I will try them with my computer when I get home.  I know it shouldn't be a big deal but I paid for new headphones and I expect them to be new, unopened... who knows if the previous person dropped them or something.  I can't find any scratches or scuffs on the headphones but the whole experience just kind of takes away the excitement of getting them.  I'll wait until tomorrow to decide if I'm going to return them only because I'll have to pay for return shipping.

Apr 10, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #520 of 546
  Thanks Unbiased for the response.  I put it on the charger and it only took about 2 hours for the red light to go away where the manual says it should take 6 hours to fully charge so I'm thinking this was a returned item.  Along with no shrink wrap and the extra stickers over the original UPC code seems to point in that direction.  I did pair them with my phone and they sounded good, I will try them with my computer when I get home.  I know it shouldn't be a big deal but I paid for new headphones and I expect them to be new, unopened... who knows if the previous person dropped them or something.  I can't find any scratches or scuffs on the headphones but the whole experience just kind of takes away the excitement of getting them.  I'll wait until tomorrow to decide if I'm going to return them only because I'll have to pay for return shipping.

Hi, my battery had a good charge on it too out of the box so that might not be a tell tale sign.  The battery on this headphone lasts a long time. It's pretty good.  If there is nothing wrong with it, you might as well keep it.  My MDR-1RBTMK2 turned out to be great well balanced Bluetooth headphones which pleases me. I have no buyer's remorse like I did buying into the hype of a few High End wired headphones a few years ago which cost way more than this Sony model. 
I also have taken a liking to the Sony MDR-XB950BT/B headphones as they are also non-fatiguing and lush smooth sounding with the elevated bass (without the bass boost turned on).  With the bass boost turned on, like many have already reported, it is most of the time way too over boosted.  It only comes in handy for a few situations or songs, otherwise I leave the bass boost off and enjoy the music for hours until the battery runs down. The battery on the XB950BT does not seem to last as long as the 1RBTMK2 though.

Anyway, good luck with the MDR-1RBTMK2 set you got.  I hope they turn out to be just fine and you don't have to return them.  I do suspect amazon.com does resell returned items as new as I've seen them do this with Timberland Pro boots I've ordered and returned 2 times to them.  Each time I bought the boot, the In Stock count went down by 1.  Each time I returned the boots, within one day of them receiving my returned boot, the boot count went back up by 1.  Holy cow! I couldn't believe it.  Before that, I would watch the In stock counter for days and it wouldn't change because there was not much interest in that item!

One thing good or great about amazon.com Prime though is their no hassle return policy and they pay for the return shipping too and refund you almost immediately as soon as they detect that you've shipped the item back via the tracking number they issue you.
So you really only lose time if you want to return them and try buying it again and hope to get a totally new one.  Up to you.

Apr 10, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #521 of 546

I don't think Amazon sells this item directly, so it was likely bought from a reseller. The reseller may have incorrectly listed the item as new. You might be able to convince them to give you some money back instead of returning them if they did list the item improperly.

Apr 11, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #522 of 546

Hi,

How do I differentiate the aptx mode and standard mode, The blue LED blinks two times initially on boot and then red blink 3 times, Does this mean its in standard mode?

IF we set to aptx by pressing power and vol+ will it blink 3 blue blinks only if its connected to aptx phone? Im not having a aptx enabled phone, Can i still set it in aptx mode and will I see any differences?

I just want to know that how do we know that the headset is in aptx mode when connected via aptx/non aptx phones?

Also when not playing the blue flashes 2x for every 5 seconds and when playing music it flashes 3x , Is this normal?

Sorry for too many questions, Hope you will answer all... :)

Apr 12, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #523 of 546

Hi,

How do I differentiate the aptx mode and standard mode, The blue LED blinks two times initially on boot and then red blink 3 times, Does this mean its in standard mode?

IF we set to aptx by pressing power and vol+ will it blink 3 blue blinks only if its connected to aptx phone? Im not having a aptx enabled phone, Can i still set it in aptx mode and will I see any differences?

I just want to know that how do we know that the headset is in aptx mode when connected via aptx/non aptx phones?

Also when not playing the blue flashes 2x for every 5 seconds and when playing music it flashes 3x , Is this normal?

Sorry for too many questions, Hope you will answer all... :)

Perhaps this may answer your question:

http://helpguide.sony.net/mdr/1rbt/v1/gb3/contents/04/01/04/04.html

I never notice the number of flashes when playing music as the headphone is always on my head 
etysmile.gif

In any case, from my understanding the number of blue flashes (SBC (high quality), AAC or aptX selected automatically) that comes after the initial red flashes (that suggest power level) will indicate what mode your headphone will be in.

I cannot confirm how can we know if we are connected to a aptx enabled source because both my sources (Sanwa bluetooth usb dongle & Samsung GS3) are aptx capable so I presume if you are connected to a non aptx source, despite the 3 blue flashes, your headphone will still run in Standard mode.

Nonetheless when I do connect to PS Vita (which is a non aptx device), if the game's audio quality is good, the Sony headphone shines here as well. 

Apr 12, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #524 of 546
  Perhaps this may answer your question:

http://helpguide.sony.net/mdr/1rbt/v1/gb3/contents/04/01/04/04.html

I never notice the number of flashes when playing music as the headphone is always on my head 
etysmile.gif

In any case, from my understanding the number of blue flashes (SBC (high quality), AAC or aptX selected automatically) that comes after the initial red flashes (that suggest power level) will indicate what mode your headphone will be in.

I cannot confirm how can we know if we are connected to a aptx enabled source because both my sources (Sanwa bluetooth usb dongle & Samsung GS3) are aptx capable so I presume if you are connected to a non aptx source, despite the 3 blue flashes, your headphone will still run in Standard mode.

Nonetheless when I do connect to PS Vita (which is a non aptx device), if the game's audio quality is good, the Sony headphone shines here as well. 

Thanks for the reply, I understood now, Im planing to get a Galaxy S5 , waiting for the price to drop as the S6 was released few days ago..

How do you like the bass on the mk2? I noticed its unstable(like rattling) on high volumes which is not the case on my beyer 770pro, maybe its due to the mobile output? do you see that in your S3?

Apr 12, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #525 of 546
  Thanks for the reply, I understood now, Im planing to get a Galaxy S5 , waiting for the price to drop as the S6 was released few days ago..

How do you like the bass on the mk2? I noticed its unstable(like rattling) on high volumes which is not the case on my beyer 770pro, maybe its due to the mobile output? do you see that in your S3?

I haven't really listened to songs with a lot of bass so I can't really comment on that but from my memory of some that I have tried, the bass is there but perhaps on the weak side, either from bluetooth dongle or the S3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back