Sony MDR-1AM2 - Impressions Thread
May 24, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #796 of 1,177
Hi guys. Has anyone compared these to the MDR-Z1R? I compared them using my Sony WM1A and came away impressed with how wonderful the 1AM2 turned out to be in sound quality. It was really close to the Z1R that I decided to go for these special gem as it is so light weight and easy to listen to. Only problem is the noise isolation isn’t great, but that’s what I use my WH-1000XM3 for.
If you like the 1AM2 and want a similar experience with better isolation the new WH-910N is much more balanced sounding than the 1000XM3 with about 75-80% of the ANC. Don't let its smaller 25mm driver fool you. It is probably the best sounding BT offering from Sony right now in my opinion.

May 24, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #797 of 1,177
Hi guys. Has anyone compared these to the MDR-Z1R? I compared them using my Sony WM1A and came away impressed with how wonderful the 1AM2 turned out to be in sound quality. It was really close to the Z1R that I decided to go for these special gem as it is so light weight and easy to listen to. Only problem is the noise isolation isn’t great, but that’s what I use my WH-1000XM3 for.

I have both and i must say the 1MM2's are great value, a little more bassy i think, but i think listening mood is a factor in any comparison. It's great to have both the MDR-Z1R's & 1AM2's. If you can't stretch to the expense of the Z1R's then these are a great alternative.

May 24, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #798 of 1,177
I'm wondering if there is a big difference of the frequency being 120,000 Hz of the Z1R and the 100,000 Hz of the 1AM2. I know the human ear can't hear these frequency responses, but am wondering if it still can have an impact of the listening experience of the headphones. Is the weight of the Z1R a hamper in experiencing these cans and what is the cheapest price ever for these? Possibly $1,000 USD?

Jun 6, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #799 of 1,177
This has been discussed but I experienced first hand this past week how the 1AM2 scales with quality electronics. I started bringing the 1AM2 to work, which I'm allowed to do but I am not allowed to bring any other electronic devices inside the building. So I'm running the 1AM2 directly out of a Lenovo P70 workstation laptop, streaming Tidal.

The laptop powers the 1AM2 to loud volumes, which isn't surprising, given the headphones specs. But wow it is a totally different listening experience. Very slow, veiled presentation with very much bloated bass. Still enjoyable and fun, mind you, but a very different experience from even my lowish powered Activo CT10. Then it just gets better and better when you move up to the ZX300 and finally the Jotunheim.

Jun 6, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #800 of 1,177
Most laptop are using Realtek based audio codecs which bill of material cost is more important than sound quality. They are decent for non-serious audio listening like watching movies or YouTube but they wont satisfy audiophiles like us for music.

The amazing thing about this 1AM2, it can sound quite good out of lower quality sources and yet able to scale significantly in sound quality when you feed it with higher grade sources.

As like I what I mentioned in my previous post in the WM1 Walkman thread, this 1AM2’s 40mm driver and its housing doesn’t rattle, crackle or distort when you purposely EQ the bass to the maximum on the ZX507 4.4 balanced, on a music track that is insanely bass focused.

Jun 8, 2020 at 2:06 AM Post #801 of 1,177
Jun 8, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #802 of 1,177
I'm wondering if there is a big difference of the frequency being 120,000 Hz of the Z1R and the 100,000 Hz of the 1AM2. I know the human ear can't hear these frequency responses, but am wondering if it still can have an impact of the listening experience of the headphones.

Highly doubt it. If what you're saying would be true, AM radio frequencies and FM radio frequencies shouldn't be generated in the same air space since they would affect each other's paths.

Jun 18, 2020 at 5:50 AM Post #803 of 1,177
Most laptop are using Realtek based audio codecs which bill of material cost is more important than sound quality. They are decent for non-serious audio listening like watching movies or YouTube but they wont satisfy audiophiles like us for music.
I have an ASUS laptop with a Realtek DAC and the 1AM2 clips/distorts around 95% volume and in some tracks still isn't loud enough. At lower volumes sound is mostly usable but the bass does sound a tad boomy. I don't have any high end gear on me now but it sounds cleaner on my Galaxy Note 9 (Exynos with a Cirrus Logic DAC) - the bass is more well-controlled but seems more laid-back. On the AudioQuest Dragonfly Black 1.5, the bass seems deeper than the Note 9 but there is also more floor noise.

Any recommendations for a portable DAC/amp, preferably with USB Type-C?

Jun 18, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #806 of 1,177
I was looking into this too possibly, any reason to go for this over the Zen DAC?
Zen DAC doesn't have a battery but is for desktop use. The Hip DAC has a battery and can be used for portable, but the Zen DAC might make for a better desktop amp. I use the Hip DAC and like it as it can be used for both, but the battery usually runs 6 to 7 hours, so shorter than the advertised 12. But when it works, it sounds solid.

Jun 21, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #807 of 1,177
I was looking into this too possibly, any reason to go for this over the Zen DAC?

Both ZEN DAC and hip-dac are alike on SQ level. The main difference is that hip-dac is portable, whereas ZEN DAC is desktop.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 22, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #810 of 1,177
Just got these for 135 Euros...nice set of closed cans for this price!

Was looking for an inexpensive set of closed cans that could replace HD598sc and add a little fun to the mix...very happy with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back