Sony MDR-1AM2 - Impressions Thread
May 30, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #526 of 1,177
I am sorry but the sound stage is not good on Takstar, its imaging is good but not its sound stage.
The drive of takstar is also an issue, you could run a 1am2 on a damn toaster, takstar is more hungry for power.
It also has some issues with the built quality.
Mine broke at the hinge connections, have talked to people that had their cable connector snap in a day and many other similar stories.
Also be extremely careful on Aliexpress, in this very forum we have people that made purchases on Pro 82 off aliexpress and got scammed.
All in all I believe that you can do better at that price.
At that price you can get iems like Fiio f5s which are amazing.
You could get the Retroprice cans or you could up the price and get safer bets.
Interesting, I've seen other reviews saying they sound quite open for a closed back, and I would certainly say so in comparison to MSR7, M50x. The CoolerMaster MH751 appears to be improvement over it as well. The way they decay or reverb is a bit odd though - the treble is quite sharp and mellower instruments just sound distant.

I've had no problems with the hinges except the annoying clunking sound, but driver reliability is definitely a problem (I have the white box/initial run). I just started noticing a nastly rattling sound on the left earcup again, far worse than the subtle clipping sounds I had noticed before (which were fixed to some extent by spraying an air duster at the driver).

May 31, 2019 at 3:54 AM Post #527 of 1,177
Interesting, I've seen other reviews saying they sound quite open for a closed back, and I would certainly say so in comparison to MSR7, M50x. The CoolerMaster MH751 appears to be improvement over it as well. The way they decay or reverb is a bit odd though - the treble is quite sharp and mellower instruments just sound distant.

I've had no problems with the hinges except the annoying clunking sound, but driver reliability is definitely a problem (I have the white box/initial run). I just started noticing a nastly rattling sound on the left earcup again, far worse than the subtle clipping sounds I had noticed before (which were fixed to some extent by spraying an air duster at the driver).
My experience with them has been the opposite, they didn't have any sound stage, it was extremely tight.
The imaging was good and clear, you could hear a decent amount of information but that was it.
How did you feel about the drive ability of Takstar?

May 31, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #528 of 1,177
My experience with them has been the opposite, they didn't have any sound stage, it was extremely tight.
The imaging was good and clear, you could hear a decent amount of information but that was it.
How did you feel about the drive ability of Takstar?
Just wondering which version you have? Mine is the white box with the 2.2m cable (initial run). I got it on Amazon from AMMOON.

I only have the Audioquest Dragonfly Black 1.5 as an amp now, but it sounds more punchy with those than off my phone (Galaxy Note 9 Exynos). However, the treble is also a bit more harsh and the presentation more congested as a result.

Jun 11, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #529 of 1,177
Hey everyone,

Just wondering, what’s the best 4.4mm to 3.5mm adapter to get?

Jun 12, 2019 at 7:00 AM Post #530 of 1,177
Who can help me to find a new cable for my Sony MDR1AM2.It must be a balanced one.I have a Sony zx300 dap.So with a 4.4 mm balanced output.My headphone has a 3.5 mm input.
I found here a good one but what must a select?Will 4.4 mm TRRRS fit.I i,m a noob in this.
If it is possible in the EU.

https://oidiosound.co.uk/pellucid-plus-sony-mdr1a.html

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #531 of 1,177
Are these extra flat like the MDR-V6 ?

Jun 13, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #532 of 1,177
Hey everyone,

Just wondering, what’s the best 4.4mm to 3.5mm adapter to get?

Hi @Meshaboo,

Penonaudio.com / penon-official.com or veclan.com, subjectively either retailer has good quality adapters for decent to good pricing though Penon is the most cost effective with free delivery worldwide.

Hope this is useful.

Hope you have a great day !

Jun 13, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #533 of 1,177
Hi @Meshaboo,

Penonaudio.com / penon-official.com or veclan.com, subjectively either retailer has good quality adapters for decent to good pricing though Penon is the most cost effective with free delivery worldwide.

Hope this is useful.

Hope you have a great day !

Thank you so much! I found just what I was looking for!

Jun 13, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #535 of 1,177
Jun 16, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #536 of 1,177
Few questions if anyone can enlighten me,
1A or 1AM2 if your going to run them balanced and what's the pinout on the 3.5mm trrs (Cup input) standard L+ R+ L- R- or L+ R+ R- L-
Any improvements with pad rolling and which pads
Modding wise what's been done so far, any good improvements ?
Share your ideas with me.

Jul 24, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #538 of 1,177
The 1AM2 is such a great portable. I use it solely for work, powered out of a Activo CT10 and it is fantastic. Doesn't need much power at all to sound fantastic. One of my absolute favorite headphones.

Sep 10, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #539 of 1,177
Hey y'all!

Has anyone ever compared these to the V6's? Just wondering. My first real headphones were the V6 a few years ago and I've had a couple over the years, but the last time I got to listen was maybe over 2 years ago. I have my old pair lying around but one side shorted out (as my others did) and I also can't find the earpads?? Lol.

Sep 14, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #540 of 1,177
I had V6 for a short period of time. Don't exactly remember the difference between the 1AM2 and the V6, but I preferred the 1AM2 and sold the V6. Perhaps, it was the ability to drive 1AM2 in balanced..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back