Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
Feb 2, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #2,403 of 2,667
  Just got mine yesterday. Still wonder if there's a way to make it has quicker, tighter bass

The dynamat helps tighten up the bass and if you do the medical tape mod also it will really make the bass almost perfect to me, but you need to do a little trial and error to make sure you don't over do it.

Feb 2, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #2,404 of 2,667
Dynamat and soborthne both prevent plastic cup sound reflection.You can use the aluminium foil used in car for damping as well.

Surgical tape is a very bad as a damping material.it suck out mids and it sounds a bit thinner.

@David and me has done many mods to make the sony mdr-1A best.After all i need a openback so i moved on to Audioquest nighthawk.The stock one is sounds really wired to me as well.Hope this mod helps.Enjoy.

Feb 11, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #2,406 of 2,667
Just got a pair of these for cheap despite reading about the bass bloat. I like them. Yes there is some bloat but not enough to regret my purchase and I'm finding on some albums eg Brothers in Arms and Gaucho for example the bloat is minimal. Well, to my ears anyway.

Reading some of the comments you would think that these are garbage.

So despite wanting a more expensive pair I could not justify the dollars so I settled for these and no regrets. I like the sound signature. The comfort?? Outstanding.

Feb 11, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #2,407 of 2,667
Just got a pair of these for cheap despite reading about the bass bloat. I like them. Yes there is some bloat but not enough to regret my purchase and I'm finding on some albums eg Brothers in Arms and Gaucho for example the bloat is minimal. Well, to my ears anyway.

Reading some of the comments you would think that these are garbage.

So despite wanting a more expensive pair I could not justify the dollars so I settled for these and no regrets. I like the sound signature. The comfort?? Outstanding.

I couldn't agree more. Given the comments on comfort I have these the last chance for cans as I have found every pair so far eventually has too much discomfort to enjoy in the end. What I have found is a really enjoyable sound and supreme comfort. The first pair I can leave on all day without thinking...

If you haven't already, a little foam in the vents stops the wind noise and to me takes a bit of reverb out of the bass which has made them even more enjoyable

Feb 11, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #2,408 of 2,667
Wind noise not an issue - these are for inside. Just about to have a listening session, the heatwave is hot, the beer is cold, time for music!!

beerchug.gif

Feb 11, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #2,410 of 2,667
I couldn't agree more. Given the comments on comfort I have these the last chance for cans as I have found every pair so far eventually has too much discomfort to enjoy in the end. What I have found is a really enjoyable sound and supreme comfort. The first pair I can leave on all day without thinking...

If you haven't already, a little foam in the vents stops the wind noise and to me takes a bit of reverb out of the bass which has made them even more enjoyable

The comfort is somewhat dependent on ones ears, for some with bigger ears the pads can be a touch too small.  Most comfortable headphones for me are HD-700, SRH-1840 and most Grado with cheap G pads, these are large enough to fit my ears and breath well even in warm humid weather.  The MDR-1A while very comfortable due to the soft ear pads don't breath well enough for me or my GF to use them outside here in Hawaii.

Feb 15, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #2,412 of 2,667
Thank you the info. I previously had a look on their site, but didn't see any Sony cables. I will look again, or just send them an email.

It isn't on their site, this is the reply I got via email:

Q: The Sony MDR-1A I have accepts 3.5mm TRRS balanced for sure, see attached picture I assume you are familiar with.
What is the price of a Copper HPC MK2 for the MDR-1A to 2.5mm TRRS AK/DP-X1 in 1.5M?

A: In case of MDR1A and AK 2.5mm TRRS cable the cost is 91Eur plus 6Eur shipping.

Feb 15, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #2,414 of 2,667

Quote:
  So... I just have to purchase dynamat and put it on the white plastic part ? Is it really help a lot ?

posted this picture a while back:

you could put more (didn't cover some of the smaller areas) but for me this was enough for me

PS: put the dynamat in the freezer for 15 minutes to harden it, much easier to work with

Users who are viewing this thread

Back