Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
May 20, 2015 at 3:48 AM Post #721 of 2,667
Any hp with moving joints can creak:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/581728/hd650-headphones-creaking-seeking-advice

My solution is put some thin wall crack repair/felt/cellofoon tape in those gaps/(metal) hinge etc. to fill up the gaps, so only (soft) tape rubbing the plastic/metal surface, thus no more creaking.
But you'll need to open the joint/cover of the hp.

May 20, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #722 of 2,667
  does anyone have a problem with their headphone making creaking sounds when the cans are adjusted?

Solution: Never take off MDR-1A's. 

I noticed it as well. Not a big deal as the cans still feel quite solid and I know they arent just gonna break on me. Keep them protected when not in use and all should be well. Just enjoy your headphones.

May 20, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #724 of 2,667
You imply the fault is the user rough handling of the hp?
And by ignoring the creaking is the Solution?
Good Helpdesk ppl You Are!111einzweinz...

Lets stay on topic but I do work as support (one of the many hats I wear at my job) and I have done computer repair services and handled people over the phone and in person. I also code, so usually when you find a bug and the item is delivered, we consider that a feature :-D

I am fine with the creaking on mine. Has anyone tried a little lube on the joints?

May 21, 2015 at 7:51 AM Post #727 of 2,667
  Lets stay on topic but I do work as support (one of the many hats I wear at my job) and I have done computer repair services and handled people over the phone and in person. I also code, so usually when you find a bug and the item is delivered, we consider that a feature :-D

I am fine with the creaking on mine. Has anyone tried a little lube on the joints?

Took it apart to apply some graphite silicone lubricants on it. No more sound. :)

Downside, I broke one of the pins (can't tell from the outside), and I scratched the driver slightly by carelessness. Still all good though.

May 21, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #728 of 2,667
  Took it apart to apply some graphite lubricants on it. No more sound. :)

Downside, I broke one of the pins (can't tell from the outside), and I scratched the driver slightly by carelessness. Still all good though.

I might mod mine soon, so maybe I'll do that as well.

May 21, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #729 of 2,667
hi at all :) i'm very interested in this headphones! i also saw two other pair: sennheiser momentum XL and bose QC25 (for the active noise reduction).
Can someone please help telling me wich one is better and why?

May 23, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #731 of 2,667
  hi at all :) i'm very interested in this headphones! i also saw two other pair: sennheiser momentum XL and bose QC25 (for the active noise reduction).
Can someone please help telling me wich one is better and why?

Very subjective. Tell us more about your other gear, what you listen to, and how you like to listen. Is this as a portable only?

May 24, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #732 of 2,667
I love these Sony's 1A. I have them for several months now and I am very happy with them. There are better phones out there (for example my Grado SR 325 are clear winner in direct comparison) but there is something "nice" in the sound of these cans.

Very often I am using them with my Apple iPad Air and they fit really well together. Sometimes I think why would somebody need better sound through the cans (this is more retorical I know ... ). When I am using them with my Headphone Amps, the satisfaction is also guaranteed. And I believe that is the most important ...

By the way, no issues with adapting them on my head.

May 24, 2015 at 6:27 AM Post #733 of 2,667
I did a comparison between Sennheiser Momentum and these Sonny's 1A when I was making decision which one to buy. I did the comparison in the shop and it didn't last very long. So ... it is not really test that I made but rather some impressions ... Senn's Momentum were very agressive, punchy, fast ... 1A are more relaxed, more pleasant with better balance (between deep bass and treble). I went for this balance, for bass that is better extended, for the overall pleasence of hearing music. I guess younger generation might like more Sennheiser Momentum (for Hip Hop, Drum&Bass, and this sort of music) because of their speed and agressive openess especially in the higher frequencies.

May 24, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #734 of 2,667
ywa aoeey, my bAD :frowning2: noW i have the sennheiser hd439, and i want to change them for a comfortable pair of headphones, with a better sound and possibly a bettere isolation.
i listen for the most heavy,epic  and gothic metal, and some ost from videogames and anime :)
I like good bass, like with my hd439, good but not overwelming :)

May 24, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #735 of 2,667
  ywa aoeey, my bAD :frowning2: noW i have the sennheiser hd439, and i want to change them for a comfortable pair of headphones, with a better sound and possibly a bettere isolation.
i listen for the most heavy,epic  and gothic metal, and some ost from videogames and anime :)
I like good bass, like with my hd439, good but not overwelming :)

Well, the comfort is supreme with the 1A so that is covered. The bass will be the only possible spot of trouble. The bass quantity is excellent, the quality is good, but there is some bloom. That said, the bloom can be cleaned up with some minor EQ cuts. I actually felt the 1A had nicer treble than the Z7 as it was more extended and going by memory as I haven't heard the 1A in a month now the treble was pretty clean. I think given the build quality as well as good looks that at the street price this headphone can be had for it is an excellent value. I also liked that the 1A has some scale of sound to it meaning it sounds pretty big to me. Anyway, no headphone will be perfect, but based on what you are describing it sounds like the 1A has a really good chance of satisfying your current needs.

The only negative to me is that for whatever reason they are harder to sell used which makes no sense. For you maybe that is a good thing as used you might find a pretty sick price out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back