Sony MDR-1000X
Dec 17, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #2,566 of 2,709
That's not correct.
The app will say SBC if SBC only but SBC-AAC if it's playing AAC.
There’s no app for Mark1

Edit: Interesting though, can you tell me what the app says when playing e.g.
- music from spotify
- music from apple music
- an mp3 file
- a flac file

Thanks.
I’m still struggling to figure out the actual processing of these. Are they all converted to AAC stream on-the-go to use the ASC codec transmission, or...?

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #2,570 of 2,709
After weeks of reading forums and reviews I couldn't decide between the Sony 1000X and the Sennheiser M2w so I got both to try. After hours of going back and forth between the two I finally decided which ones are going back. I have to agree with all the reviews about how the Sony has the best ANC around. Miles away from the Sennheisers. In terms of comfort I would say they are very close, with a possible slight edge for the Sony as the cups are slightly roomier. Where things become interesting is in the sound quality department. The Sony have a really good sound quality, as all the reviews and posts on thousands of forums can attest. But in my opinion (a complete rookie in terms of headphone sound quality reviewer) the Sennheisers are noticeably better. The soundstage on the M2w seems wider and the overall resolution throughout the spectrum is definitely better.
So, after shedding a few tears for letting go the Sony with all its bells and whistles, I am now really happy with my new pair of Sennheiser.

Dec 23, 2017 at 8:08 AM Post #2,571 of 2,709
After weeks of reading forums and reviews I couldn't decide between the Sony 1000X and the Sennheiser M2w so I got both to try. After hours of going back and forth between the two I finally decided which ones are going back. I have to agree with all the reviews about how the Sony has the best ANC around. Miles away from the Sennheisers. In terms of comfort I would say they are very close, with a possible slight edge for the Sony as the cups are slightly roomier. Where things become interesting is in the sound quality department. The Sony have a really good sound quality, as all the reviews and posts on thousands of forums can attest. But in my opinion (a complete rookie in terms of headphone sound quality reviewer) the Sennheisers are noticeably better. The soundstage on the M2w seems wider and the overall resolution throughout the spectrum is definitely better.
So, after shedding a few tears for letting go the Sony with all its bells and whistles, I am now really happy with my new pair of Sennheiser.

Congrats on your choice of headphones. (Did you try wired or wireless, ADAC, aptX, SBC?)

You did not do a bad decision. It's all about what you need and what your ears like. I don't like the SQ on the momentums (anyone of them), the SQ is different, but not necessary better than the Sonys. The MDR-1000X is the one for me as I'm traveling a lot (by train and plane). The ANC is a bliss. Wired with a decent DAC/AMP it's even better. But that's exactly the use case for the Sonys. Fun fact: The headphone out on the Nexus 5x is so much better than the same on the Moto Z Play.

But then I'm also partial to the SQ of the MDR-1A.

Dec 24, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #2,573 of 2,709
Bought the mdr1000xs on clearance during BF, and had to send em back as they were cracked already upon opening the box.
Just ordered the MK2's last night from amazon. Bought the Gold. Heres to good fortune!!! LOL
Mk2 crack just the same but sound tad bit worse.
I upgraded mine to mk2 and regreted every moment.
20 hours or 30 hours of battery life wont effect you if you charge in weekly basis regardless

Dec 24, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #2,574 of 2,709
We will see. The problem is there is no market for ANC phones. Bose QC35 look like crap, and sound like crap to me. So the only 4 other options are that I really know about are the Parrot 3 phones. Again looks are hideous to the point that even if they were the best sounding phones on earth I wouldn't wear them. Passed on em at $126 new from the parrot website. The new sennheisers? Have not tried or heard them. Who knows? the JBL Everest 750NC? No idea, but am interested. The bit I messed with the Sony 1000x, I loved. Sound was fine. Looks were fantastic, and comfortability was high. Should be no reason the mk2 sounds different. Same drivers. Only thing that would change the sound on them is the different material used on the ear pieces. We will see. I hopefully will get them Wednesday. Will be using with NWA45 Walkman so LDAC was a selling point to me as was the different ANC presets.

Dec 28, 2017 at 3:52 AM Post #2,575 of 2,709
Hey guys, I got the mark 2s but I've been noticing that there's a bit of ANC noise when it's on, which I accept to be normal given the number of reviews I've read mentioning it.

But what is weird to me is I hear this almost faucet running in the house like sound when in quick attention mode / when setting ambient sound to 20, as opposed to say, 10.

Wondering if this is normal, or something I should get replacements for.

Thanks!

Dec 29, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #2,576 of 2,709
Hi All,
I just bought MH-1000XM2 headphones and keep my fingers crossed that it will not crack... but hey, if the problem is related to hinge being too tight, maybe a drop of a lubricant into the hinge would help? Has anyone tried it? What do you think?

Dec 30, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #2,577 of 2,709
Hi All,
I just bought MH-1000XM2 headphones and keep my fingers crossed that it will not crack... but hey, if the problem is related to hinge being too tight, maybe a drop of a lubricant into the hinge would help? Has anyone tried it? What do you think?

Maybe. There may be somn to that as they all crack at the same place. Could also be really crappy batches of plastic plaguing some runs. Failure rates are probably not very high. I'm personally not going to worry about it. If I see some cracking I will file a warranty claim and see where it goes. Then I will just UV weld it to slow/stop the cracking until It dies. Then I will buy something else. Sony is a mixed bag, but who knows. I have been using Sony Golds for PS4 for 2 years and they are still perfect.

I also remember seeing someone using zip ties around the hinges to prevent cracking. Looks awful, but if it works...

Jan 10, 2018 at 7:04 AM Post #2,578 of 2,709
I have recently purchased the sony wh-1000xm2 NC headphones and loving them so far. There is also a companion app which works with these headphones. Inside this app theres the ability to turn DSEE HX on or off.

I have played around with this and the only difference i can hear is that the volume seems lower with it set to ON.

Has anyone else had any experience with this feature? apparently its supposed to enhance the quality of compresses files to hear Hi-Res. Do y'all have it enabled?

Thanks

Jan 11, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #2,580 of 2,709
I have a Sony Xperia XZP with the M2s, both with DSEE upscaling capability and tbh it doesn't seem to do very much lol. If your music is of a high enough bitrate, i doubt there'll be much to upscale anyway. I'm running about 20% FLAC and 80% 320kbps Spotify downloads and I'm not seeing a huge difference with DSEE on or off, certainly not in a noisy outdoor environment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back