Sony MDR-1000X
Oct 18, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #2,446 of 2,709
Thanks. From what you wrote, it appears similar to the difference between hearing Dolby or DTS which sounds more dynamic than regular LPCM.

However, AFAIK the XZ only supports regular aptx (not HD) and same for the 1000X; only the XZ1 series and 1000XM2 support aptx HD (hopefully that will change if / once Sony rolls out Android 8.0 updates):
https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-XZ/Supporting-AptX-HD/td-p/1254253

I'm looking forward to getting the 1000XM2 and an aptx HD / LDAC capable device so I can hear them for myself but I imagine using the same codec on different devices may not sound identical.

Correct, APTX sounded more dynamic, same texture on APTX-HD on my 1000xM2, same fun sound. I use the LG G6 atm, planning on moving onto the LG v30 soon.

Oct 18, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #2,447 of 2,709
Just received my 1000x today and was able to paired it with my iPhone 6s+ but I cannot see them in the Sony Headphone Connect application. Anyone had this problem? Thanks.

Oct 20, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #2,448 of 2,709
I'm looking at the 1000xM2 and the QC35ii. Without trying out either, I'm leaning Sony, but battery life is a big key. I do plan on using the wire as much as I can. I see the Sony has 30+ hours wireless on a full charge. I can't find the number if you're plugged in. Is it the same? The QC35ii has 20 wireless 40 wired so I'm assuming the Sony wired would save some juice

Oct 20, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #2,449 of 2,709
I'm looking at the 1000xM2 and the QC35ii. Without trying out either, I'm leaning Sony, but battery life is a big key. I do plan on using the wire as much as I can. I see the Sony has 30+ hours wireless on a full charge. I can't find the number if you're plugged in. Is it the same? The QC35ii has 20 wireless 40 wired so I'm assuming the Sony wired would save some juice

Sony's 1000xM2 wired are 40 Hours and also! Hifi!.... 5Hz-40Khz (Wired On).

Oct 20, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #2,450 of 2,709
Both can also be used as passive, wired headphones with power off. However with power off the Sony sounds great while the Bose sounds terrible. Bose relies on powered DSP electronics to fix sound quality issues such as frequency response, etc.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #2,452 of 2,709
My plan is to use the headphones with NC on, but wired as much as possible, especially because the Nintendo switch doesn't offer Bluetooth audio lol

yep, Hi-Fi plus NC, cant go wrong.

Oct 24, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #2,455 of 2,709
just copy my opinion about M2 from another post.

Got Sony WH-1000XM2 yesterday, and very largely disappointed. Sound quality is horrible. No mids, no highs, everything is muffled. Too much poor quality bass to my taste. I was not able to improve sound with equaliser. Soundstage is terrible. I listen to mainly instrumental music (modern and classic jazz, etc.) and these headphones are not good for it. Tried with both ANC on and off, and with cable. There is no much difference in SQ. ANC is good, tried at work, but cabin pressure is noticeable, and also some white noise, but it disappears when music is on. I have a pair of Senns Momenums over-ear v2 at work and HD650 with dedicated Burson amp at home. Momentums are just soooo much better in all respects - soundstage, separation, clarity, mids/highs. Even listening for white noise-like tracks (tropical forest, thunderstorm) is very poor on Sony. I tried both loseless tracks and premium quality spotify on macbook pro and iMac; and premium quality spotify on Note 8. Codecs were aptX everywhere. Comfort is ok, but build looks flimsy comparing to tank-build of Momentums. Very disappointed, and, unfortunately, cannot return them.

Can anybody suggest some good quality over-ear bluetooth without ANC, which can nearly match my Momentums? I do not really want another pair of Momentums, so wireless version is out of question. There are troubles with B&W PX and they are not sold here, so I do not want to take a risk with ordering from overseas.

Oct 25, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #2,456 of 2,709
just copy my opinion about M2 from another post.

Got Sony WH-1000XM2 yesterday, and very largely disappointed. Sound quality is horrible. No mids, no highs, everything is muffled. Too much poor quality bass to my taste. I was not able to improve sound with equaliser. Soundstage is terrible. I listen to mainly instrumental music (modern and classic jazz, etc.) and these headphones are not good for it. Tried with both ANC on and off, and with cable. There is no much difference in SQ. ANC is good, tried at work, but cabin pressure is noticeable, and also some white noise, but it disappears when music is on. I have a pair of Senns Momenums over-ear v2 at work and HD650 with dedicated Burson amp at home. Momentums are just soooo much better in all respects - soundstage, separation, clarity, mids/highs. Even listening for white noise-like tracks (tropical forest, thunderstorm) is very poor on Sony. I tried both loseless tracks and premium quality spotify on macbook pro and iMac; and premium quality spotify on Note 8. Codecs were aptX everywhere. Comfort is ok, but build looks flimsy comparing to tank-build of Momentums. Very disappointed, and, unfortunately, cannot return them.

Can anybody suggest some good quality over-ear bluetooth without ANC, which can nearly match my Momentums? I do not really want another pair of Momentums, so wireless version is out of question. There are troubles with B&W PX and they are not sold here, so I do not want to take a risk with ordering from overseas.

Can you name certain albums/songs that you love and know, which sound horrible ? I am willing to test ( Although I have a previous model) However from my experience, some burnin-in took place, and the sound improved.
Another thing is the dac / For instance, I like my macbok pro late 2016 far more than my fiio dac with these cans.

Another thing, is that LDAC makes a great difference in SQ comparing to regular aptX!
Night and day. I can enjoy wireless sound much more after my moto z play got an unofficial android 8 with LDAC support.

As for replacement for momentums, try AT MSR7 ( wonderful for instrumental music), which are also give detailed sound in the mids similar to momentums ( I owned momentum v1) I loved MSR7, and would've kept them, but I couldn't afford the Sonys without selling MSR7 ( There is even a ANC version of MSR7 if you wanna have it)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 6:20 AM Post #2,457 of 2,709
First time I heard someone say the 1000X is poor SQ.
I have one (the MDR-1000X) which I feel flat and easy to listen, ANC also work nice on the go.

Maybe the 1000X is not a strong bass type headphone, at least not a bad one imo.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #2,458 of 2,709
karmacoma7,
when I use it I have constant feeling that I need to equalize my ears. I feel the slight extra pressure even with anc completely off, I can feel it even in my throat (strange feeling really). And this feeling is different from the much more noticeable 'cabin pressure' from ANC. The soundstage is bad (see the comment from other topic here), sound is flat and dull, the sound of momentums is more natural. And they are very bass heavy to my taste. I let them burn-in for a couple of days and see if there is any improvement. I know about LDAC, but unfortunately note 8 did not have it yet. Here is some selection of music I listened today:
Avishai Cohen
Herbie Hancock
Joshua Redman
Miles Davis
Melody Gardot
Pharell Williams
Giovanni Mirabassi
Corbin Andrick, Bonzo Squad

I presume these cans are better for rock and pop, electronics (?), not jazz and vocals.
I am looking for bluetooth headphones, so MSR7 is not on my list.
These are my first BT headphones, and I probably had unrealistically high expectations to the technology.

Oct 25, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #2,459 of 2,709
karmacoma7,
when I use it I have constant feeling that I need to equalize my ears. I feel the slight extra pressure even with anc completely off, I can feel it even in my throat (strange feeling really). And this feeling is different from the much more noticeable 'cabin pressure' from ANC. The soundstage is bad (see the comment from other topic here), sound is flat and dull, the sound of momentums is more natural. And they are very bass heavy to my taste. I let them burn-in for a couple of days and see if there is any improvement. I know about LDAC, but unfortunately note 8 did not have it yet. Here is some selection of music I listened today:
Avishai Cohen
Herbie Hancock
Joshua Redman
Miles Davis
Melody Gardot
Pharell Williams
Giovanni Mirabassi
Corbin Andrick, Bonzo Squad

I presume these cans are better for rock and pop, electronics (?), not jazz and vocals.
I am looking for bluetooth headphones, so MSR7 is not on my list.
These are my first BT headphones, and I probably had unrealistically high expectations to the technology.

Unless you're using LDAC, APTx-HD you will have a crappy sound. The SCB profile sounds awful. The preassure you feel is from the fact that the headphone is closed. That also explains the narrower soundstage compared to the HD650. They are also slightly V-shaped with a roll off in the highs compared to the annoying highs of the momentums. But that's only my opinion, your sound preferences are clearly different. If you want crisp, analytical highs and a forward mid together with a large soundstage, then I don't think any bluetooth / ANC will suit you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back