Sony MDR-1000X
Apr 11, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #1,906 of 2,709
I don't think there's anything wrong with this set, as it works perfectly - unless you present it with a 'difficult' situation. It's just a limitation of the technology.
Eating with them on also presents a problem, with the 'swooshing' returning. And I think the 'problem' lies in the sealing of the cups around the ears. As soon as that seal is compromised, such as when you open your mouth, eating etc the ANC must register extraneous noise in the cups, which confuses the ANC.
It's not a 'deal breaker', as 90% of the time I'm sat still listening, and in this situation, the ANC is peerless.
I just think it's something to be aware of if you move a lot with these. In this situation, I think I prefer to switch the ANC off, or use a non-ANC set.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Interesting. I really don't experience the "swooshing" effect a lot, actually really rarely. And I walk for 20 minutes to and from work every day with them on. I assume it has to do with specific head shapes, or something of that nature. My head is rather large, and thus the headphones stay on my ears pretty tightly and don't move much when I walk.

Apr 11, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #1,907 of 2,709
I think it has to do with strong and sudden changes in pressure. I notice it when the bus doors close here in the city, but that's about it. I imagine you would have to move your head rapidly or step very firmly in order to do that in an ordinary situation.

Apr 12, 2017 at 4:46 AM Post #1,908 of 2,709
Hi to everybody.

I just bought Sony MDR-1000X but i was surprised by the noise cancelling efficiency.
I expected they should be better. I tried in my office, while my colleagues where just normally talking each other, and i can clearly understand what they were saying. the volume was reduced but i can understand the words...
I can even hear my finger if i snap them!
I tried in the car and standing up very close to an highway and in that case the noises were reduced. Especially low frequency noise.
Of course i tried to calibrate them.
Based on this results, i was thinking why they added "Ambient" and "Voice" functions and why everybody praised them. For this reason i thought mine were failure.
Do you think my 1000X is not working properly or yours do do same job?
I mean, is it tipical for NC device? Otherwise they should speak about "Noise Reduction" instead of "Noise Cancelling".
6-7 years ago i tried a pair of Bose, a my friends were speaking and i was astonished, i just saw their lips moving.

Thanks a lot.

Apr 12, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #1,909 of 2,709
  I mean, is it tipical for NC device? Otherwise they should speak about "Noise Reduction" instead of "Noise Cancelling".
6-7 years ago i tried a pair of Bose, a my friends were speaking and i was astonished, i just saw their lips moving.

What you described is normal for NC. Maybe you should try Bose again but I think you'll get the same result.

Apr 12, 2017 at 7:39 AM Post #1,910 of 2,709
Hi to everybody.

I just bought Sony MDR-1000X but i was surprised by the noise cancelling efficiency.

I expected they should be better. I tried in my office, while my colleagues where just normally talking each other, and i can clearly understand what they were saying. the volume was reduced but i can understand the words...

I tried in the car and standing up very close to an highway and in that case the noises were reduced. Especially low frequency noise.
Based on this results, i was thinking why they added "Ambient" and "Voice" functions and why everybody praised them. For this reason i thought mine were failure.

Thanks a lot.

I think you don't remember correctly, or the old Bose models were far better than the new ones like qc35. Both qc35 and 1000x cancel out themids and highs the same - they thin them out immensley but you can still hear them, precisely stuff like talking and higher pitched sounds like snapping fingers, etc. Go to a local store that has the QC35 and convince yourself.

Apr 12, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #1,912 of 2,709
Hi to everybody.

Thanks a lot.

I think ANC is very effective at blocking LF 'rumble', but less effective at blocking HF spikes/transients.
It sounds pretty normal for ANC to me.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Apr 12, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #1,913 of 2,709
@kelly200269 i think you're right.. i played with the tv at high volume a Youtube video called "8 hours airplane cabin noise"
biggrin.gif
which is a steady LF and the noise reduction was strong.

Apr 16, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #1,914 of 2,709
The more I use the 1000X the more I actually think this is a very good sounding headphone, quite good. I haven't compared back and forth, but I do now leave the ANC on and perhaps that is helping the sound? Not sure, but I trust what those who have experimented say. Eventually I will test, but when I'm using the 1000X I'm on the go and don't typically have time to compare.

With the modest bass boost I do the 1000X is now very engaging and has the impact that the stock signature lacked for me. I don't think I'm going to sell this headphone, at least not anytime soon. It will be hot to wear during the summer so it will likely get much less use as I return to the equally amazing sounding Onkyo H500BT which has the advantage of being on-ear so cooler (but no ANC).

Apr 16, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #1,915 of 2,709
The more I use the 1000X the more I actually think this is a very good sounding headphone, quite good. I haven't compared back and forth, but I do now leave the ANC on and perhaps that is helping the sound? Not sure, but I trust what those who have experimented say. Eventually I will test, but when I'm using the 1000X I'm on the go and don't typically have time to compare.

With the modest bass boost I do the 1000X is now very engaging and has the impact that the stock signature lacked for me. I don't think I'm going to sell this headphone, at least not anytime soon. It will be hot to wear during the summer so it will likely get much less use as I return to the equally amazing sounding Onkyo H500BT which has the advantage of being on-ear so cooler (but no ANC).

Like you, I don't think these are 'arf bad :)
I've been using them on my commute for a couple of weeks now, and they're still with me. Which, I think is a good sign, as I thought I might have gone back to my P7W's before now.
I STILL think the P7W's have the distinct edge in ultimate sound quality, and are more-or-less unbeatable for SQ in a pair of wireless cans, IMO.
BUT the ANC on the Sony's actually astounds me every time, and makes-up for the fact that they're not quite up there with the P7W's in SQ. The ANC is really THAT good, and makes these cans extremely listenable, especially on the move.

Apr 16, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #1,916 of 2,709
Like you, I don't think these are 'arf bad :)
I've been using them on my commute for a couple of weeks now, and they're still with me. Which, I think is a good sign, as I thought I might have gone back to my P7W's before now.
I STILL think the P7W's have the distinct edge in ultimate sound quality, and are more-or-less unbeatable for SQ in a pair of wireless cans, IMO.
BUT the ANC on the Sony's actually astounds me every time, and makes-up for the fact that they're not quite up there with the P7W's in SQ. The ANC is really THAT good, and makes these cans extremely listenable, especially on the move.

Yes, the P7 wireless would be the better pick in pure sound quality, but while different in presentation style, the 1000X with that bass boost I use really isn't that far off, it just gets there in a different way. The P7 has that rich, meaty, but well layered signature where the 1000X is more transparent and airy, but not as richly layered if that makes any sense. Either way they are both cracking good headphones as the English say.

Apr 16, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #1,917 of 2,709
if you guys have a chance try it out with a sony dap with ldac or wait until phones with android o are out later on.  it really takes the sound quality to another level.  of course, the nw-a35 is another $200 more if you want to use it now. 

Apr 17, 2017 at 2:54 AM Post #1,918 of 2,709
if you guys have a chance try it out with a sony dap with ldac or wait until phones with android o are out later on.  it really takes the sound quality to another level.  of course, the nw-a35 is another $200 more if you want to use it now. 

LDAC is also a feature on Sony 'phones. My Xperia Z5 connects to the 1000X's using LDAC. Obviously, so do my Sony DAP's too.

Apr 17, 2017 at 5:10 AM Post #1,919 of 2,709
LDAC is also a feature on Sony 'phones. My Xperia Z5 connects to the 1000X's using LDAC. Obviously, so do my Sony DAP's too.

Personally I have my doubts that there would be much difference from say Apt X to LDAC. What do you think? I haven't been able to test so my opinion is simply conjecture.

Apr 17, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #1,920 of 2,709
They are claiming 3 times the bitrate with LDAC, but they're really vague when challenged on how they actually achieve that. 
APTX has always had a small amount of hiss to my ears.

Anyway, the future of BT audio is probably in BT 5.0 rather than LDAC, with its' drastically increased bandwith.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back