Sony MDR-1000X
Dec 14, 2016 at 7:15 AM Post #1,141 of 2,709

You can use MDR-1000X in standard Bluetooth mode with your current home theater. If you want LDAC sound quality, you'll have get a Sony home theater system that has LDAC Bluetooth. LDAC is just a codec and separate from whether or not a product supports multiple Bluetooth receivers. Yes, there are Sony home theater systems that support multiple headphones.

Ok, that's very helpful, thanks. I was under the impression that you needed to use those radio things for multiple headphones. Looks like I have some research to do :)

Dec 14, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #1,144 of 2,709
I've been using Tidal for a while now.  Not sure if it a placebo effect but I prefer how it sounds.  Usually I use a set of Sony MDR-1ADACs but am now using my 1000Xs over bluetooth.

My question is will I be losing quality this way?  Tidal streams at 1411kbps but I don't think bluetooth via the iPhone goes that high.  I'm using an iPhone 6s Plus.

Any thoughts?

Dec 14, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #1,145 of 2,709
So has anyone found these for less than full retail in US?  Not sure on protocol if posting deals is encouraged here.  If not and you know of a solid dealer with a decent price please PM me...

Sony has weird pricing so there's always a deal here and there. No problems discussing pricing here too.

I'm not in the US but got mine in Europe at 315 EUR instead of the retail 400. That was at Amazon Spain and didn't last long. They seem to be stabilizing at retail in most places again. (Saw some units as low as 280e in Portugal but most don't ship internationally).

Use CamelCamelCamel.com and set some price alerts worldwide. Sometimes that results in good deals if it is not urgent.

Dec 14, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #1,147 of 2,709
I've been using Tidal for a while now.  Not sure if it a placebo effect but I prefer how it sounds.  Usually I use a set of Sony MDR-1ADACs but am now using my 1000Xs over bluetooth.

My question is will I be losing quality this way?  Tidal streams at 1411kbps but I don't think bluetooth via the iPhone goes that high.  I'm using an iPhone 6s Plus.

Any thoughts?
. only ldac can provide the bandwidth, 900kbps as opposed to 380kbps....

Dec 14, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #1,149 of 2,709
So no point in Tidal and the 1000x ?
on iPhone hell no. Most Android phones support APT-X, which is better than the default iPhone Sbc codec. Ldac is the best of the three. I really like my Sony phone, the Sony Xperia XZ which supports Ldac, it's a solid phone currently selling for $499. It has a micro-sD slot for up to 256GB of additional storage, comes in very handy with those flac files and hi-res files.

Dec 14, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #1,150 of 2,709
My friend use iPhone 7 with 1000X and it still sounds great.

Of cause it is better with LDAC (I tested his unit with my WM1Z and ZX100, WM1Z bass is deeper and better sound stage than ZX100 even in BT connection)but doesn't mean iPhone won't work well.

Best if you can find a demo unit and try it out.

Dec 15, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #1,152 of 2,709
Tested/used a new pair of 1000X this week alongside my old QC35 in NYC.
Had jury duty, so the day includes 2-3 hours of travel in the New York subway system.  Also above ground walks among rush hour crowds, street vendors and noisy vehicular traffic.  All this during an above normal windy week.

Short findings.
ANC
1000X is better than QC35

Cabin (ANC) pressure
1000X has less than QC35

Wind noise effects
1000X has less then QC35

Sonics
With jazz like swing, Jazz at the Pawnshop, big band and soundtracks:  1000X is more dynamic, exciting and a bigger field of sound.  QC35 has a more natural reproduction of the music but when compared with 1000X, seems dull.

Comparing the sound with some of my headphones and some of my husband's, I find:

The 1000X sounds a bit like the new Z1R, very much like the old Z7 (picture).  I prefer the 1000X sound over B&W P7 (picture) and even the Shure 535.

Comfort
The QC35 is more comfortable to wear, depending on whether your head and inner ear can live with the ANC pressure.
If your ears are larger than average, they will touch the 1000X drivers.

Dec 15, 2016 at 2:12 AM Post #1,153 of 2,709
  Usually I use a set of Sony MDR-1ADACs but am now using my 1000Xs over bluetooth.

My question is will I be losing quality this way?

With an iPhone, the short answer is yes (in theory – assuming that the 1ADAC does have great sound quality). However, that doesn't invalidate the 1000X. You need to put things in perspective because sound quality isn't the only thing that matters. Wireless and noise cancelling are also valuable qualities in their own right. It's a trade off between different qualities depending on what matters to you and the circumstances.

Dec 15, 2016 at 2:54 AM Post #1,154 of 2,709
If iPhone is outputting AAC (like from Apple Music) isn't there theoretically no quality loss because there's no transcoding before the audio is sent to the headphones? I may be off but I think I've read that.

I use these with my iPhone in that scenario & have no issues with the audio quality at all. Obviously tidal would be different, just curious about the AAC aspect.

Dec 15, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #1,155 of 2,709
  Tested/used a new pair of 1000X this week alongside my old QC35 in NYC.
Had jury duty, so the day includes 2-3 hours of travel in the New York subway system.  Also above ground walks among rush hour crowds, street vendors and noisy vehicular traffic.  All this during an above normal windy week.

Short findings.
ANC
1000X is better than QC35

Cabin (ANC) pressure
1000X has less than QC35

Wind noise effects
1000X has less then QC35

Sonics
With jazz like swing, Jazz at the Pawnshop, big band and soundtracks:  1000X is more dynamic, exciting and a bigger field of sound.  QC35 has a more natural reproduction of the music but when compared with 1000X, seems dull.

Comparing the sound with some of my headphones and some of my husband's, I find:

The 1000X sounds a bit like the new Z1R, very much like the old Z7 (picture).  I prefer the 1000X sound over B&W P7 (picture) and even the Shure 535.

Comfort
The QC35 is more comfortable to wear, depending on whether your head and inner ear can live with the ANC pressure.
If your ears are larger than average, they will touch the 1000X drivers.

Nice quickie comparison !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back