Sony MDR-1000X vs Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 (HD1 rebrand) vs Beoplay H7 vs Oppo PM-3

which headphone should I buy?

• Sony MDR - 1000x

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Sennheiser HD1 Wireless

• Sennheiser HD1 Wired

• Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 wired

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Beoplay H7

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Oppo PM-3

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • V-moda Crossfade Wireless

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

• Audio Technica ATH-WS99BT:

• Onkyo H500BT

• Total voters
Jun 30, 2017 at 11:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Savage_Makoa

New Head-Fier
So I have been looking over the forums for these headphones for last few days, I ended up ordering a refurbished Sony MDR-1000X which comes on Monday but I can cancel until Monday or return if I end up not liking it. I have been comparing it to other headphones and am having trouble making a final decision. I currently own a pair of MDR-1A and got it as the reviews were good and got it for $200 on amazon a year ago I like it but I feel like its missing something and just doesn't feel like a $300 headphone and doesn't really feel all that sturdy.

I know V-moda are sturdy but they are really uncomfortable I tried an M100 a year ago comparing with MDR-1A and hated it. I also didn't like the V-moda soundstage, besides bass it just felt too much. I am looking to get blue-tooth headphone but if the sound quality is that great I can get wired, but basically I am just trying to replace my MDR-1A with a better sounding headphone with hopefully bluetooth. My main source of music is going to be my iPhone 7 so I am leaning toward headphones with AAC but few have it. Sadly I have not been able to figure out if the HD1 rebrand by Sennheiser has it, as some reviewers state it does but the official website does not state it and the Sennheiser Momentum 2 did not have it. I know the Crossfade Wireless 2 do not have it but Rose Gold has Aptx but due to the lack of AAC and price I am no longer considering either Cross Wireless 1 (with aac) or wireless 2 (with Aptx) due to lack of ground breaking features and lack of comfortability for long listening sessions. I listen mainly to hip-hop/rap but also rock as well. I currently feel the MDR-1A bass is lacking so I am looking for a bit more bass but also more clarity in the higher ranges.

So far I have these following options from reviews. The feature of noise cancelling is awesome but not required I care more about comfortability and sound quality. So far it seems to me that the HD1 takes the cake for sound quality but it has sub-par noise cancelling. The Sony MDR-1000x seems to have the best NC on the market and good sound quality to boot. The Beoplay H7 seems high quality and looks amazing and apparently has a good sound stage for its price. I am not sure which of these headphones has the best bass but I assume its the HD1 as it can go lower than the Sony, I am not sure about the Beoplay H7 being more bass heavy although reviewers have not indicated it is lacking in bass. Reviewers have also stated despite similar drivers to the MDR-1A the bass is more strong on the MDR-1000X. They all seem like great options, I also included the Oppo PM3 despite being wired as its in same price bracket and I have always heard good things about it. I will also be using APTX at home on laptop or AAC from laptop as well in addition to using my iPhone. wired usage is fine too but I prefer wireless as its simply more convient but I understand wired will always be better. I will be using tidal for most of the streaming not sure if that effects fidelity that much but I dropped spotify as my family and I were constantly fighting for streams. Apple Music may support AAC natively but the loss in performance doesn't seem worth it IMO. Spotify still has best selection but I can audibly hear the differences in tidal songs especially master albums. I also don't have any LDAC devices so I can't really use that feature on the MDR-1000x if I did it would be done deal. I would also probably lean toward HD1 or 550x if they supported AAC. I do however like that Captune on the Sennheisers allows for tidal play through the app which I would totally use.

- Sony MDR-1000x (bluetooth 4.1 - LDAC, AAC, Aptex, SBC)(ANC support)(Refurbished $259)(Used $250)(MSRP $330-400 new)(October 2016 release)

- Sennheiser 550 PXC (wireless 4.2 - aptex, sbc no aac =( (ANC support)($296 refurbished)(msrp $399)(July 2016 release)

- Sennheiser Momentum 2 HD1 rebrand over-ear (wired)($231 new)(msrp $350)(Jan 2017 release)

- Beoplay H7 (bluetooth 4.1 - Aptex, AAC,SBC) (used $255)(new $359)(MSRP $450)(Jan 2016 release)

- onkyo H500BT (Bluetooth 4.0 Aptex, aac, sbc)(new $200)(ANC support)(msrp $200)(unsure)(On ear - prefer over ear but we shall see if I can test these and like them)

- plantronics beats pro 2 (Bluetooth 4.0 aptex, aac, sbc(ANC support)(new $200)(msrp $200)(October 2016)

- Oppo PM3 (wired - planar magnetic) - $399 (no used/refurbished models)(new $399 + 10 shipping) (MSRP $399)(Feb 2015 release$

Edit 1:
Added
Headphones

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #2 of 16
I have the HD1 and previously owned the PXC 550. I'll say this, the HD1 has better sound quality than the PXC, and they both are built extremely well. I still prefer the wired HD1 because it's slightly V shaped in terms of frequency but it's very balanced. The bass is nice and it doesn't overpower the music. The PXC has better features but less detail in the sound.

I've tried the MDR 1ABT and I'll say that headphone has way too much bass and it's a bit sloppy in terms of sound quality. It also feels a bit cheap and loose. HD1 beats it in every category.

If possible, consider making yourself a lossless library. Streaming music isn't terrible, but if you compare a flac file to any streaming service, you'll hear the difference easily. Lossless has better dynamics and will sound more balanced.

As far as the options you've chosen, I'd vote for the HD1 by far. You can probably even do the wireless and just use the wire unless you absolutely need Bluetooth. No reason not to have both options. HD1 definitely opens up with a mobile amp. I use the FiiO X3 player and A5 amp and it helps smooth the bass and tighten it, making it punchier and more balanced. It also helps the dynamics. Good luck choosing!

Jul 1, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #3 of 16
For BT headphones with a punchy bass it's hard to beat the Sony MDR-1000X. The overall sound quality might not be on-par with the Oppo PM-3, but it suits your described sound signature better, it's wireless and it has the best ANC out there, which makes for very quiet commuting. It's not as comfortable as the MDR-1A, but none of the headphones you mentioned are that comfortable. The build quality is definitely better than the MDR-1A. Give the MDR-1000X a good try, because the test of the pudding is in the eating. The way we experience sound will always remain a highly subjective matter.

Jul 1, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #4 of 16
Based on your stated criteria, it sounds like the MDR-1000X is the one. Second choice for me would be the H7 (again, given your criteria). If I were choosing for myself, I would be hard-pressed between the H7 and the HD1. Good luck with your new headphones!

Jul 2, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #5 of 16
So I have been to two different bestbuys trying pairs. The m1000x has be huge dissapointment both times with loud hissing and bad overall music quality. Surpringly the Sony 950B1 sounded much better with and without the extra bass mode. I also tested the PXC 550 which sounded amazing but I only got to test once not twice as first bestbuy didn't have display pair. I tested the sennheiser momentum 2.0s wireless twice but hated them the sound quality for the treble seemed more refined but the bass was severely lacking compared to my 1As the on ear model was even worse. Also the QC35s sounded amazing despite issues with pairing Bluetooth dropping connection on multiple pairs and different locations. So basically I'm just confused on the Sonys as I've tested two different pairs and both sucked for the 1000x and I've heard bout the issues with them breaking at the hinge joint. I also tried the Vmoda cross fade wireless 2 and the first pair was lacking bass the second sounded much better but still seemed lacking to me compared to my mdr-1A's. I wish they had hd1 so I could compare so I'm unsure if their sound signature would be better than the momentum 2.0 wireless ones. So far I'm leaning toward the PXC 550 or QC35 as both sounded amazing compared to the sonys. Although the Sonys still have the best ANC. I would get the Sony 950BI if it was $150.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #6 of 16
I was in a similar position to you several weeks ago. In the end I went for the PXC 550's as I preferred their overall sound. The PXC 550's also feel sturdier or slightly better built than the Bose too me. I have used the PXC's on several flights and find the noise cancelling good enough and battery life good enough for my needs. The only con with the PXC's is remembering to turn the ear cups 90 degrees to turn off the power if you're not listening through them.

Jul 3, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #7 of 16
Of those phones I have had only the MDR1000x. I've also had B&O H9, Bose QC-35, B&W P7 & Senn PCX550. The MDX1000x is great - no problems with creaking, comfort or touch controls (contrary to many reports I found them to be excellent). Also the Sony ANC was in another league to the QC-35. (sony ANC obviously went to higher frequency and blocked low frequency better if they were really loud outside).

For me the Sony MDR-1000x has the flattest EQ that sounds great with most files so I find I use EQ in software less often. For me I'm down to MDR-1000x vs B&W P7. The P7 has a bit more midbass (and it's tighter! Sony is not the tightest low bass) and pronounced 1-3kHz about 4dB higher than the Sony. If you EQ it out the mids and treble can be quite similar between the Sony and B&W, but I think the bass on the P7 wins (but Sony has better comfort + ANC... P7 wins on build quality).

I ramble... back to your question. From the reports I've read I would focus you towards the Sony MDR-1000x and B&O H7 from that list. Consider the B&W P7 if ANC isn't important...

Jul 3, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #8 of 16
Does anyone know a location where I could test the beoplay h7's and HD1s as they are the unknown for me as I haven't tested sound quality on them. I am assuming the HD1 will be quite similar with the momentum 2.0 wireless but I may be wrong. I looked at bang & olfesen website and the closest location is Philadelphia a few hours from me. The sonys come tomorrow so I'll update on how they sound. If I like them I might just keep them but if they don't justify the price of $259 I'll soon return and then either get the sennheiser pxc 550, HD1 or beoplay h7s. I don't think the QC35 are good enough to justify a $350 price tag when the Sonys go for $259 The beoplay h7s are interesting option as they look good and support AAC.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #9 of 16
Does anyone know a location where I could test the beoplay h7's and HD1s as they are the unknown for me as I haven't tested sound quality on them. I am assuming the HD1 will be quite similar with the momentum 2.0 wireless but I may be wrong. I looked at bang & olfesen website and the closest location is Philadelphia a few hours from me. The sonys come tomorrow so I'll update on how they sound. If I like them I might just keep them but if they don't justify the price of $259 I'll soon return and then either get the sennheiser pxc 550, HD1 or beoplay h7s. I don't think the QC35 are good enough to justify a $350 price tag when the Sonys go for $259 The beoplay h7s are interesting option as they look good and support AAC.

Can't comment on the H7s but just wanted to add I really preferred the Sony MDR-1000X over the Sennheiser pxc550. You may prefer the Sennheiser but for me they have too much mids... needs EQ all of the time to my ears but I know some like it. The touch controls are not quite as good as the sony but decent. The ANC is about same as Bose (although I know many prefer the Bose ANC i found it to be similar level to the Sennheiser, with the MDR-1000x being superior to both). I think the MDR-1000x can be had for $330 [edit $299] now. I also found the triangular shape of the Sennhesier ear cups to touch my ear at the narrow end, although they are nice and deep (Sony MDR-1000x is not very deep and your ear may touch the foam - mine sometimes touch, on right ear).

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #10 of 16
has anyone heard good things about the backbeat pro 2 or onkyo H500BT? I have read good things from other posters on headfi and rtings.com It seems like most of you guys are privy to the Sonys so we shall see later tomorrow how they hold up. It's honestly just frustrating how many good bt headphones exist. If only everything was cheaper than I could just buy multiple headphones.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #11 of 16
So I just got home been playing around with the mdr-1000x. Just wanted to give my initial impression which are the anc is good but not great as people are talking about the qc 35 still do a much better job at least the demo pairs I've tried compared to at home. I can still hear my girlfriend talking to me with them on. Also another annoying thing is the sound bleed I'm unsure if it's just my pair being refurbished and the left ear cup is slightly smushed but it seems to bleed noise. The qc 35 also had a quite bit of sound bleed which is annoying tbh as my mdr-1a pair did not have much of any sound bleed. The bass on the mdr-1000x is definitely good but honestly just feels lacking compared to the mdr1a not sure why as they use similar drivers and are the same size at 40mm drivers. Besides that mid and upper treble sound amazing but I can totatally tell the sound stage is more narrow than the mdr1a which bothers me. So honestly I'm probably gonna end up returning at $259 I'm just not happy with the phones if they were cheaper I'd be content but at that price I'm expecting them to blow me away. So I'll need to decide whether the qc35, PXC 550 or plantronics back beat pro 2 are the better option. I've heard the back beat pro 2 has a good bass I've yet to test so I'll probably head to store tomorrow and return Sonys tomorrow I'll give them at least a day to wow me. The qc35 feel to expensive at $350 and the pxc is also a bit more at $295 so they would have to really wow me at home. The demo pair did amazingly well and I feel better the mdr 1000x the back beat pro 2 are unknown as well as the onkyo which are similarly priced at $200 and both support aac.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #12 of 16
So I just got home been playing around with the mdr-1000x. Just wanted to give my initial impression which are the anc is good but not great as people are talking about the qc 35 still do a much better job at least the demo pairs I've tried compared to at home. I can still hear my girlfriend talking to me with them on. Also another annoying thing is the sound bleed I'm unsure if it's just my pair being refurbished and the left ear cup is slightly smushed but it seems to bleed noise. The qc 35 also had a quite bit of sound bleed which is annoying tbh as my mdr-1a pair did not have much of any sound bleed. The bass on the mdr-1000x is definitely good but honestly just feels lacking compared to the mdr1a not sure why as they use similar drivers and are the same size at 40mm drivers. Besides that mid and upper treble sound amazing but I can totatally tell the sound stage is more narrow than the mdr1a which bothers me. So honestly I'm probably gonna end up returning at $259 I'm just not happy with the phones if they were cheaper I'd be content but at that price I'm expecting them to blow me away. So I'll need to decide whether the qc35, PXC 550 or plantronics back beat pro 2 are the better option. I've heard the back beat pro 2 has a good bass I've yet to test so I'll probably head to store tomorrow and return Sonys tomorrow I'll give them at least a day to wow me. The qc35 feel to expensive at $350 and the pxc is also a bit more at $295 so they would have to really wow me at home. The demo pair did amazingly well and I feel better the mdr 1000x the back beat pro 2 are unknown as well as the onkyo which are similarly priced at $200 and both support aac.

Thanks for the interesting comments!

One thing was particularly interesting were your comments about the Sony MDR-1000X bass. I found the bass to be present and sufficient in quantity, but somewhat boomy and lacking in detail. However, when I hooked up wired to my LG V20 (which has a very decent DAC and amp) the bass got much much stronger in quantity and quality. Night and day. So i conclude that the amp in the Sony MDR-1000x is not doing the drivers justice (this is not to say it is bad, much better than QC-35 IMO, but they really come alive with a good source). A similar conclusion was reached in this youtube video.

On the ANC, try some trains, rock concerts or planes. The Sony did a much much better job than the Bose QC-35 in truly loud environments - it was not very close. Interestingly the little Bose QC-20 earbuds were quite decent. And the Sony did a slightly better job than the QC-35 in my tests for voice.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #13 of 16
Thanks for the interesting comments!

One thing was particularly interesting were your comments about the Sony MDR-1000X bass. I found the bass to be present and sufficient in quantity, but somewhat boomy and lacking in detail. However, when I hooked up wired to my LG V20 (which has a very decent DAC and amp) the bass got much much stronger in quantity and quality. Night and day. So i conclude that the amp in the Sony MDR-1000x is not doing the drivers justice (this is not to say it is bad, much better than QC-35 IMO, but they really come alive with a good source). A similar conclusion was reached in this youtube video.

On the ANC, try some trains, rock concerts or planes. The Sony did a much much better job than the Bose QC-35 in truly loud environments - it was not very close. Interestingly the little Bose QC-20 earbuds were quite decent. And the Sony did a slightly better job than the QC-35 in my tests for voice.

Interesting that an amp changes the bass significantly. I wouldn't have issue if I could adjust settings or plug by micro USB to computer but the Sonys do neither. That's one of the reasons I'm leaning toward the pxc 550 and qc35 as both have DAC and work with multiple devices in addition to working wired micro USB with computer. Overall I just think the PXC sound better and I would get the bose if they were cheaper at like $300. The bose nicely have AAC support but no aptx which is a ashame, luckily my laptop supports both. It's just my main device my iPhone 7 has no aptx so I'll have to use standard sbt quality but the nice thing is the pxc 550 are in latest Bluetooth minus 5.0 as they are on 4.2 which is faster than 4.0/4.1 which the Sonys and bose use.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #14 of 16
Interesting that an amp changes the bass significantly. I wouldn't have issue if I could adjust settings or plug by micro USB to computer but the Sonys do neither. That's one of the reasons I'm leaning toward the pxc 550 and qc35 as both have DAC and work with multiple devices in addition to working wired micro USB with computer. Overall I just think the PXC sound better and I would get the bose if they were cheaper at like $300. The bose nicely have AAC support but no aptx which is a ashame, luckily my laptop supports both. It's just my main device my iPhone 7 has no aptx so I'll have to use standard sbt quality but the nice thing is the pxc 550 are in latest Bluetooth minus 5.0 as they are on 4.2 which is faster than 4.0/4.1 which the Sonys and bose use.

I wouldn't worry too much about the codec. Just go for the ones you like. The difference between SBC and aptx is not as great as many claim in my experience.

Jul 8, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #15 of 16
I wouldn't worry too much about the codec. Just go for the ones you like. The difference between SBC and aptx is not as great as many claim in my experience.

Yeah I think I am going to go with the PXC 550 just going to wait for prime day sale to see if it drops anymore. Same for bose EC35 if either drops below $300 I will pick it up in a heartbeat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back