Sony MDR-1000x - earpad replacement & mod
Feb 28, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #46 of 61
I bought some MDR-1A earpads off ebay for 5 bucks, will report on how well they work versus stock. Hopefully no gluing will be necessary since the back is already made for similar looking plastic clips.

I finally got my MDR1a pads from China after 2 months... Here they are. The holes didn't match up so I had to cut mine own with xacto knife, but otherwise it's about the same thickness as the original, the foam doesn't feel quite as dense, but the opening is definitely a bit bigger.

Still testing, at home so it's too quiet to tell the effects on noise cancelling right now, will have wait till tomorrow's commute

here are some side by side pics

here's where I got them from, but since they're not much bigger than the original, I imagine it probably won't be drastically different sounding.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Headphone-E...R-1R-1RBT-MK2-1A-DAC-MDR-1A-1ABT/232382111081

IMG_20180227_211423.jpg

IMG_20180227_211403.jpg
IMG_20180227_211312.jpg
IMG_20180227_211149.jpg
IMG_20180227_211123.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2018 at 7:59 AM Post #48 of 61
I finally got my MDR1a pads from China after 2 months... Here they are. The holes didn't match up so I had to cut mine own with xacto knife, but otherwise it's about the same thickness as the original, the foam doesn't feel quite as dense, but the opening is definitely a bit bigger.

Still testing, at home so it's too quiet to tell the effects on noise cancelling right now, will have wait till tomorrow's commute

here are some side by side pics

here's where I got them from, but since they're not much bigger than the original, I imagine it probably won't be drastically different sounding.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Headphone-E...R-1R-1RBT-MK2-1A-DAC-MDR-1A-1ABT/232382111081

IMG_20180227_211423.jpg

IMG_20180227_211403.jpg
IMG_20180227_211312.jpg
IMG_20180227_211149.jpg
IMG_20180227_211123.jpg
I did this exact same mode with the same pads from China. I wasn’t impressed. The pads were very cheap quality and don’t feel nice when wearing. And I felt the sound quality was slightly compromised. I out the originals back.

Mar 1, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #49 of 61
It's 5 bucks, I don't know what you expect at that price.

I have to swap the pads back to confirm, but I do think noise cancelling suffers in the mid range after swapping. The mids sound a little less bassy and the highs got a little bit piercing, but I'm not sure if it's because the pads are bigger and I'm just not getting a good seal anymore.

Comfort wise, there is more room for my ears to breath and it doesn't clamp down as much, so it feels more like using my sennheiser 558s. Will update after swapping back for a day and doing more commute tests

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2018 at 6:24 AM Post #51 of 61
It's 5 bucks, I don't know what you expect at that price.

I have to swap the pads back to confirm, but I do think noise cancelling suffers in the mid range after swapping. The mids sound a little less bassy and the highs got a little bit piercing, but I'm not sure if it's because the pads are bigger and I'm just not getting a good seal anymore.

Comfort wise, there is more room for my ears to breath and it doesn't clamp down as much, so it feels more like using my sennheiser 558s. Will update after swapping back for a day and doing more commute tests
Yes you’re right. They’re ten bucks and cheap and I’m happy to spend more for a higher quality product if I can be guaranteed that sounds won’t be Compromised. However the more I spend the more it gets to the point of ‘may as well buy a different headphone’

Mar 6, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #53 of 61
I'm probably going back to stock, even though it's more ear sweats, I think the loss in ambient sound reduction is probably too much

The inner side of these pads appear to be lower quality leather and it's not memory foam. I would recommend people make sure the el cheapo eBay pads they buy say memory foam in the future. You can tell by how fast the pads bounce back to shape once pushed in.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #54 of 61
I have made some modifications to my pair of WH-1000xm2. My first impression was they sounded a bit veiled and uncomfortable (my earlobe was touching this foam covering speaker).

Unfortunately I did not take any pictures. I have completly removed stock filling which was much higher than the speaker itself taking to much space in my oppinion. Then cut a 6mm thick felt (not sure if the translation is correct) and filled all space around the speaker with it and covered with very thin acousticaly transparent material to cover/protect the speaker itself.

Now, with stock pads (I have beige/golden color) the comfort is perfect. My earlobe can get much deeper and still not touch the material. Sound is more spacious and open with nice tight bass. I do like this mod. No difference in NC.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #57 of 61
Hi

I am interested in modding my Sony 1000x M3's - I want to reduce the bass and boost the HF

I can see the small screws holding the diver in place - I would hope to find small "bass port" holes on the back of the metal driver case (I would block these with tape)

Do you think I could unscrew the drivers and get them out far out enough to do this? - or is all the stuff around the driver too complex or glued stuck in place?

I would also remove any layer of covering over the driver - perhaps cutting a driver sized circle. Leaving just one dust cover layer.

I don't think I would mess with the foam surrounding the driver.

Thanks

Dec 8, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #58 of 61
Hi

I am interested in modding my Sony 1000x M3's - I want to reduce the bass and boost the HF

I can see the small screws holding the diver in place - I would hope to find small "bass port" holes on the back of the metal driver case (I would block these with tape)

Do you think I could unscrew the drivers and get them out far out enough to do this? - or is all the stuff around the driver too complex or glued stuck in place?

I would also remove any layer of covering over the driver - perhaps cutting a driver sized circle. Leaving just one dust cover layer.

I don't think I would mess with the foam surrounding the driver.

Thanks

Have you tried the Sony App equalizer? I used it to reduce the bass and slightly boost midrange on my XM2s. Although I normally don't use equalization, I figure there's so much digital/electronic manipulation going on with NR/BT phones, using an equalizer wouldn't be inappropriate.

Dec 8, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #59 of 61
Have you tried the Sony App equalizer? I used it to reduce the bass and slightly boost midrange on my XM2s. Although I normally don't use equalization, I figure there's so much digital/electronic manipulation going on with NR/BT phones, using an equalizer wouldn't be inappropriate.

Thanks, unfortunately the act of engaging the eq in the Sony app downgrades the LDAC bluetooth from Hi Res to basic Bluetooth - so that's a no go for me because I am obsessing about Hi Res playback.

But this (attached) is what I tweaked while experimenting is it like your settings?

Screenshot 2018-12-08 at 18.44.14.png

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #60 of 61
OK - I use mine mostly with iDevices, so LDAC is not an option.

As for my settings - I listen to acoustic music primarily: classical and jazz. I set the bass at -2. The 5 other settings form a gentle pyramid above 0.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back