Sony MD-N505 Minidisc Player/Recorder
May 8, 2002 at 7:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

kerelybonto

doo-di-doo-di-dum doo-di-dum doo-di-doo-di-dum
Saw the other minidisc threads, but I'm looking for some specific info about the MD-N505. This'll be my first minidisc purchase, so I can use some general advice too.

Anyway, I'm looking at the MD-N505 because it looks like a pretty good price (US$140 range) for the features. Heard the Sonys have good sound quality, and the Net MD'll be useful for when I listen to mp3s. But basically I'm investing in a MD player/recorder because I want the sound quality when listening to CD rips and prerecorded MDs.

If any N505 owners can give me some input, I'd appreciate it. Or if anyone wants to give me the rundown on the difference between this player and the +$300 ones.

Thanks.

kerelybonto

May 8, 2002 at 11:09 PM Post #2 of 25
kerelybonto,

If you buy the MZ-N505 in the U.S., you won't be able to record from any source other than the PC. That's because the U.S.-market version of the MZ-N505 has no line or optical input at all, only a USB connector. You will have to special-order a audio-to-USB adapter in order to record from other sources. And that can end up costing as much (total) as the higher-line MZ-N707 (which does have a line-in/optical-in).

May 9, 2002 at 1:26 AM Post #3 of 25
Okay ... that is not good, now is it?

So any suggestions on a player/recorder that will give me full functionality, including being able to record directly from a CD source?

Guess I'll go look through the other threads a bit more.

Thanks for saving me from a bad buy, Eagle_Driver.

kerelybonto

May 9, 2002 at 1:35 AM Post #4 of 25
You sure about that Eagle_Driver?

My MZ-S1 is basically the same as the MZ-N505 and it does have a line-in (analog/digital) along with the USB connection.

Even Sony's online specs for the MZ-N505 says it has a digital line-in.

May 9, 2002 at 4:04 AM Post #6 of 25
If you get a MD unit, make sure it has a satisfaction period...that is...a 30 day refund no questions asked policy. SOme units just don't sound good, even of the same model.

May 9, 2002 at 4:24 AM Post #7 of 25
I stand corrected on the digital line-in of the MZ-N505. I really meant to say that the audio input on the MZ-N505 doesn't accept analog signals - only optical input. That means that the source that you're recording from must also output an optical-type digital audio signal, as well. So, if you have only analog outputs on your sources, forget about the 505 - you must step up to the 707.

May 9, 2002 at 4:54 AM Post #8 of 25
I have no idea what the difference between an optical and analog input/output. Tried looking it up to no avail. I assume, though, that most components use analog output? ... Why the hell would Sony only give it optical inputs then?

I'll figure this out some day. Maybe.

kerelybonto

May 9, 2002 at 6:01 AM Post #9 of 25
Depends on price and type of recorder.
But there are two types of digital connections for digital recorders, like CD recorders or MD recorders. COAX, which uses an RCA connector like audio but had digital information on it (so you need really a good video link cable for this). And Optical TOSLINK (Toshiba). Optical uses a fiber optic cable connection.

My MD and CD recorders have optical in and out, and COAX in and out, as well as analog in and out.

Problem when using digital connections with Sony MD is copy protection and force you to use analog connections.

Some CD players and changers have optical outputs. Some portable cd units too. You just connect them, and hit record or some button on the MD unit, and hit play on the cd unit, and you get a copy of the cd, track marked and all. A decent copy too.

But these digital outputs are usually on the back of the device, in the home system, and a real pain to get to.

May 9, 2002 at 6:04 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
I stand corrected on the digital line-in of the MZ-N505. I really meant to say that the audio input on the MZ-N505 doesn't accept analog signals - only optical input. That means that the source that you're recording from must also output an optical-type digital audio signal, as well. So, if you have only analog outputs on your sources, forget about the 505 - you must step up to the 707.

My MZ-S1's line-in will either analog or digital. I've used it with an analog source before. I really can't see why the MZ-N505 would be any different.

...OK, checked with another Sony support site here. That link gives instructions for recording from other audio sources and states that analog devices can be connected to the MZ-N505 like my MZ-S1.

May 9, 2002 at 2:06 PM Post #11 of 25
I stand corrected again. I've found out that much of the incorrect information that I got about the MZ-N505's input jack came from some of the user reviews on Circuit City's Web site.
redface.gif

However, even at $140, the MZ-N505 isn't a great value compared to some of the other portable MD recorder/players on the market (including Sony's own higher-line MZ-N707). The 505 doesn't include an AC adaptor - you'll have to buy Sony's adaptor (at $30 each) - nor can it recharge rechargeable batteries at all (Sony's manual makes no mention whatsoever about using rechargeable batteries, it mentions only throwaway alkaline batteries in its manual). It has neither a remote nor a provision for adding one, and the unit's small buttons are a pain in the @$$ to use. And in recent portable MD recorder tradition, you'll have to buy addional cables in order to make full use of the recorder (particularly true if you're recording from any source other than a PC). DUH!
tongue.gif

The MZ-N707, by contrast, comes with an AC adaptor, a charging stand, a no-display "editing remote" (however crappy), a NiCd AA rechargeable battery, and even an 80-minute blank MD - all for about $200 at discount ($230 retail).

May 9, 2002 at 2:42 PM Post #12 of 25
I bought a sharo 702 off of ebay for $70.00 It has optical, analog input capabilities, rechargeable battery, automatic cueing, remote control and the line out/headphone has some sort of impedence matching so it knows if you are using headphones or an amp. It sounds as good as any PCDP I have heard. I don't listen to MP3s so the usp capability is unimpotant to me. I couldn't be happier! You should at least check out the Sharp models

May 9, 2002 at 8:25 PM Post #13 of 25
you stand corrected again
smily_headphones1.gif

hehe

k
well
the 505 uses netmd, which is very nice, has bass boost, but no treble boost,

it's has line in, optical in as well

just doesn't have a MIC in, meaning you can't do very good live recording, you would want something like a 707 or the sharp mt-877

however..
most of my stuff is from mp3's and cd's and netmd, can copy things over to lp2 so quickly I never use the line inputs at all.

it's good for the price

May 9, 2002 at 8:27 PM Post #14 of 25
you stand corrected again
smily_headphones1.gif

hehe

k
well
the 505 uses netmd, which is very nice, has bass boost, but no treble boost,

it's has line in, optical in as well

just doesn't have a MIC in, meaning you can't do very good live recording, you would want something like a 707 or the sharp mt-877

however..
most of my stuff is from mp3's and cd's and netmd, can copy things over to lp2 so quickly I never use the line inputs at all.

p.s. it comes with an ac adapter too, but doesn't have a recharge function
then again
if u use rechargables it's not a big deal
I don't use rechargables, as I am a lazy ass
and 1 duracell has lasted true 38 hours from one AA
it's good for the price

May 9, 2002 at 10:12 PM Post #15 of 25
I have no idea where you get your info from- MZ-N505 does come with an adaptor- there's even an option to charge rechargeable battery. And there is a provision for remote- you can even use the remote that comes with the top of the line MZ-N1. I even use a remote from my old PCDP.

Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
I stand corrected again. I've found out that much of the incorrect information that I got about the MZ-N505's input jack came from some of the user reviews on Circuit City's Web site.
redface.gif

However, even at $140, the MZ-N505 isn't a great value compared to some of the other portable MD recorder/players on the market (including Sony's own higher-line MZ-N707). The 505 doesn't include an AC adaptor - you'll have to buy Sony's adaptor (at $30 each) - nor can it recharge rechargeable batteries at all (Sony's manual makes no mention whatsoever about using rechargeable batteries, it mentions only throwaway alkaline batteries in its manual). It has neither a remote nor a provision for adding one, and the unit's small buttons are a pain in the @$$ to use. And in recent portable MD recorder tradition, you'll have to buy addional cables in order to make full use of the recorder (particularly true if you're recording from any source other than a PC). DUH!
tongue.gif

The MZ-N707, by contrast, comes with an AC adaptor, a charging stand, a no-display "editing remote" (however crappy), a NiCd AA rechargeable battery, and even an 80-minute blank MD - all for about $200 at discount ($230 retail).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back