sony MD able to drive HD600??
May 31, 2002 at 10:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ray4jc

100+ Head-Fier
ok guys....

i read somewhere and someone said they had a sony MZ-N707 or some close model number......and that it powered the HD580/600's pretty good.....

now i can't find that post ....or review or whatever it was.....

anyone ...help..please.....anyone have any idea......

thanks

ray

Jun 1, 2002 at 12:15 AM Post #3 of 13
I'm going to say this ONE MORE TIME.

ANYTHING with a 'phone jack will drive HD600's.

How it'll sound is another question. Most new portable players of any type will probably sound like **** with anything other than ER4P's or Grado 60's or KSC35's They build this new stuff for battey life and the manufacturers don't give a s**t about how it sounds.

Older players, like pre'96 or so generally had pretty decent amps and shi**y battery life. My 1996 Kenwood PCDP sounds very good with my 600's, but a set of AA's will play about 2 1/2 CD's, 3 if they're short ones.

Most newer portable stuff, you just about MUST have at least a small amp like a TA or JMT or something. My older TA (3 volt) sounds absolutely incredible driving my 600's from any source.

I just got my new (9 volt) TAH from Headroom for working at the Orlando show. Significantly better than the older one.

Compared the Corda, a JMT, a Boosteroo, an Airhead (4.5 volt) and a Total Airhead (4.5 volt) at the Orlando show. The TA was definitely the leader of the pack by a noticeable margin. Then again, for about twice as much, it should be. The less said about the Boosteroo the better. BTW, all the amps had fresh batteries that I installed right before our first vistor came in.

So, for a portable, of just about any kind, unless you're using super high efficiency cans, get an amp. You won't regret it.

Jun 1, 2002 at 1:08 AM Post #4 of 13
LOL, silly child
wink.gif

I tried my 580's with my MD...i could barely get acceptable volume, minus the god awful sound...very bland and weak.

Jun 1, 2002 at 1:36 AM Post #5 of 13
well thanks for the responses......

i do have a penguin amp built by tangent.....for the time being.....

i just read somewhere about the high output on the new sony netmd's.....oh well.....thats what amps r for........

ray

Jun 1, 2002 at 12:56 PM Post #6 of 13
I have the lastest sony net md minidisc. This unit has 7 settings in both treble and bass. The volume available is enough to make my ears ring. I have hansen amp to give fuller sound. I find the latest sony minidisc a very nice machine.

Jun 1, 2002 at 7:37 PM Post #7 of 13
The new Sony MD units sound nice (certainly much better than their PCD efforts) but driving HD 600, no way.

PS: By driving I mean supplying the power needed to make the phones sound at their full potential. Of course you'll some sound, but ...

Jun 1, 2002 at 8:15 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Ken
I have the lastest sony net md minidisc. This unit has 7 settings in both treble and bass. The volume available is enough to make my ears ring. I have hansen amp to give fuller sound. I find the latest sony minidisc a very nice machine.

What 'phones are you getting that volume with and how clean is the sound?????

Jun 2, 2002 at 2:02 AM Post #9 of 13
What 'phones are you getting that volume with and how clean is the sound?????

I have sen580 and ER4S
My minidisc player is the latest Net Md Mz-707R
I have never had a mini disc player before. So I cant really make comparisons to to other mini disc players.

I am a Sony Mini Disc convert. It just does everything so well. I dont know how much volume different head-hifi users listen to. But I hope no one is getting ringing in thier ears after some listening.
My mini disc player can easily make my ears ring. I wonder if some people are getting different sucess in playback volume , is it related to original recording volume. The mini disc player sets recording volume automatically. Lastly minidisc has a AVL setting which limits playback volume. Make sure that there is no limiter set .

With my player I do not get distortion , all playback volume is listenable. In short the mini disc player gives me all the volume I need.

When my amp is connected there is more volume avaliable. I have found that when I listen to the amp I actually listen at lower levels.
With out the amp I find to get the sound at my ideal/ happy listening level is higher.
Lets face it there is a certain listeneing level that your player sounds just right and if the volume is higher or lower its just not right. The sweet listening spot if you like.
Some how the amp can have me contented at lower levels as well. I have to pay attention to the volume as its easy to get carried away and run those high levels. So Im always trying to get away with less volume.

This is another plus for the sony mini disc. 7 settings for bass and treble

Then there are 3 different stored choices of that.
So when Im in the mood to listen at lower levels I set one of my 3 stored settings with increased bass [for er4s]
Then my second stored setting is for listening at highest possible safe listening [er4s]
Then my 3rd setting is for sen580 [which i usually cut the bass , because the after er4s I want it to sound right.]

Anyway with the flexability of the net md sony I cound never go back, look at all the flexability , the sound I want with the headphone i want. I never will go with out that feature again.

Other players I had only had BASS BOOST
frown.gif
I never found a bass boost I like. But the sony 7 settings is wonderfull , you can get just right
biggrin.gif
I dont have to get carried away with cable swapping.

I am sorry to go on and on about my sony. But I hate bad equipment and wont be happy until it gone. In this case Im just so happy with the sony
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 2, 2002 at 2:56 AM Post #10 of 13
MD simply kicks ass...i never get distortion (hot recordings) on my copies. I use a 5cd/1 Md deck and copy at 4x dubbing...i love it!

Plus, the EQ on MD's does totally blow away any pcdp IMO.

Jun 2, 2002 at 1:36 PM Post #12 of 13
Hey, gloco, do you have a Sony D5C?

And I have to agree with this:

Quote:

Originally posted by Ken
Sony NetMd Mini Disc LIGHT YEARS AHEAD
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 3, 2002 at 5:15 AM Post #13 of 13
just thought i'd add this, though others have said it.

i'm sitting here right now with hd600 plugged into an mzr900, and whoa baby is the sound thin. yeah, it's there, but you wouldn't really want to listen to it.

i think i'll plug back into the main rig...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back