Sony Linkbuds S Impressions Thread
Jul 29, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #46 of 174
Finally managed to deplete the battery on these. They lasted nearly 12 hours playing Audible audio books from my iPhone13Pro with anc, eq and dsee all disabled
That's an impressive test of their capacity. The past couple of nights I've been experimenting with those isochronic/binaural frequencies to see if they have any effect for me but the first night I forgot to change to AAC, then last night I forgot to turn off the ANC so got woken up twice when each side ran out of battery.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #47 of 174
I had the same issue in that I had my pair set to have ambient mode enabled at home and it ran out of juice 2 days in a row before I figutlred it out. I now have it set to not set ANC or ambient at home and I go all night unless I have an extra long sleep more than 8 hrs.

I do wish the battery life was a bit better but in reality it is good enough for me around 90% of the time.

Jul 30, 2022 at 4:36 PM Post #48 of 174
3rd night attempting to get maximum hours - unsuccessful. 50 years old this year and I'm turning into my parents: 'can you set the VCR I can't work it out'.
I had changed the Developer settings but forgot to set the priority to stability so it must have still been on LDAC, and I manually turned off all cancelling etc but some auto setting must have engaged during the night. To be fair these are my first experience with wireless and using an app, I'll get there.
The only call I ever make is for about an hour to my friend, he uses Samsung buds (2?) and I can often hear background noise really clearly when he is doing something in the kitchen etc whereas he says he can't hear any background noise when I'm tinkering around making noise, they perform a lot better than I was expecting. I had solely purchased them to use for audio but have gotten excellent value for calls not having to hold the phone for an hour plus.

Jul 30, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #49 of 174
I have also had excellent calls with mine. They work better than my Samsung Galaxy Buds Pro and my Technics AZ60/70, actually better than any TWS I have owned or tried.

The audio was my main hope with these as well and they deliver on that front in my opinion.

Check and see if the app has created a location for your home and set a value such and ANC or Ambient for that location. That's what caused my grief. I changed my home setting from ambient +5 to Ambient control off.

Aug 1, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #50 of 174
My silicon case from AliExpress just turned up. A dust and fluff magnet as usual but offers some protection and has the clip to avoid slipping out of my often loaded pockets.
20220802_141135.jpg
20220802_141230.jpg
20220802_141307.jpg

Aug 1, 2022 at 10:32 PM Post #51 of 174
How much size does it add? Does it add much weight?

Edit: never mind your pictures answer my size question :)

Where did you get it from, have a link?

Edit: never mind you already answered that too :). I am not an AliExpress user but might see if I can find one on Amazon or eBay.

Nice looking case cover.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2022 at 11:14 PM Post #52 of 174

Edit: never mind you already answered that too :). I am not an AliExpress user but might see if I can find one on Amazon or eBay.

Nice looking case cover.
The added size is fairly minimal and of course you can remove the carabiner and attach your own loop etc. As some of my pockets are quite shallow so I fear them slipping out when I sit or move around so my intention is to use the carabiner or something else to tether to my pocket or belt clip but the silicon has a grip factor that may also offer some confidence. I find silicon cases to be a nice low cost option with protection and a cheap but simple look.
AliExpress was the best pricing shipped to my country, Amazon seemed to have the same ones but it doubled the price with shipping. I can't seem to link to the Ali listing but this is the title to search with:

Soft Silicone TPU Shell Cases for SONY LinkBuds S Bluetooth-compatible Wireless Earphone Cover

Aug 2, 2022 at 12:00 AM Post #53 of 174

Nice looking case cover.
I forgot to add a close up showing the thickness
20220802_144442.jpg

Aug 8, 2022 at 4:29 AM Post #54 of 174
Having not used my XM4 for over a month as I’ve not been travelling they sure feel huge in the ear compared to the LinkBuds

Aug 8, 2022 at 6:18 AM Post #55 of 174
Having not used my XM4 for over a month as I’ve not been travelling they sure feel huge in the ear compared to the LinkBuds
I was debating whether to get them as coming from wired I was wanting to achieve the best quality sound but for my small ears I knew the LinkBuds S were the way to go. I know from other threads your ears are larger than mine so it sounds like I made the right choice.

Aug 8, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #56 of 174
I was debating whether to get them as coming from wired I was wanting to achieve the best quality sound but for my small ears I knew the LinkBuds S were the way to go. I know from other threads your ears are larger than mine so it sounds like I made the right choice.
The LinkBuds is considerable smaller than the XM4. Sound wise the XM4 has a much fuller sound with more pronounced bass while the LinkBuds is leaner/more neutral. I like both

Aug 9, 2022 at 8:13 AM Post #58 of 174
These are still my most used true wireless as well. Love their sound and features.

Aug 19, 2022 at 12:24 AM Post #59 of 174
Mine have now developed a massive unbalance in discharging. Below pictures are from a month ago and from now, both are after about 8 hours of use

7099ECE5-5F59-4B69-A64E-952F07F28768.jpeg
8AC952BE-5167-4E1B-967F-F02A5D6FAC5A.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back