SONY IER-Z1R
Feb 19, 2023 at 3:34 AM Post #13,336 of 15,170
just curios
Im listening my z1r using Wm1A/ Wm1Am2 both at high gain volume setting around 60-80 depending on the song and with high gain

I tried low gain and also comfortable using it around 80-100 at low gain

But i feel they sounded more lively in high gain.

Is there any benefits using high gain / low gain vice versa ?
I’m on 70 low gain most of the time and that is plenty loud enough for me

Feb 19, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #13,337 of 15,170
Since we're talking cables, I've never looked past the stock cable for Z1R. Until now. Managed to find my all-time favourite cable, Cardas Clear (a.k.a. PWA The 1950s 'clone' by @doctorjuggles). If anyone is on the fence about the difference a cable can make, they really need to hear this combination. The stage expansion, instant ink black background and added resolution is summit-fi...and Z1R was already that before. Mindblowing.

PSX_20230120_143015.jpg
you mentioned the cable actually here already :)

Feb 19, 2023 at 3:40 AM Post #13,338 of 15,170
you mentioned the cable actually here already :)
I did, yes. It's on the way back from having ConX plugs put on it so I can use it with Z1R with no adapters. Those adapters ultimately ruined the ergonomics of the Z1R for me, but the cable was so good I had to have it modified to fit. Will report back here with pics once I have it tomorrow.

Feb 19, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #13,339 of 15,170
The sound, in my opinion, is better than a universal tip, owing to a more complete and consistent seal. By consistent, I mean these things go in only one way all the time -- quickly -- so there's no fiddling with depth of insertion. An added benefit is that the custom tip stabilizes and holds this heavy IEM, although they do cause the IEM to stick out a ways from the ear, possibly making it look unstable.

Maybe someone else can speak to whether the stiffness of the stock cable becomes a comfort issue "reaching" for the IEM, because I've never used Sony's cable. I would think that's a good cable if using universal tips as the cable would help support the IEM, but that becomes unnecessary with the ADV custom tip. (I specify ADV type, as I've tried Custom Art's custom tip which is hardly bigger than a universal tip and covers only the nozzle, whereas ADV's is more of a "sleeve" that grabs the shell.) You'll notice in the pic that I use the lightest of cables, Plussound's 2-wire X series, which much of the time I don't bother to wrap behind my ear.

No, no sound distortion, and much better bass because of the seal. I'm with those that say they'll never go back to universal tips. I like the sound and fit so much that I used the same ear molds used to make the ADV tips to get a set of custom Fir Audio KR5.
Good to know.
I was concerned that it makes it stick out too far from the ear canal to get a good sound.
But that doesn’t seem to be the case.

Feb 19, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #13,340 of 15,170
Crin just redid his Z1R review now that he reclaimed his Crinacle channel name. Its word by word the same review.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #13,341 of 15,170
I bought the Zx707 and returned it after a week. The sound wasn't as good as I hoped plus the volume is nerfed and they do not adequately power the Z1R's. It is a shame because it could have been a great DAP. I ended up buying the WM1A and pairing it with the Z1R's is everything I hoped the sound would be. I tried using my Cambridge audio dacmagic 200m and the sound was not really better than when I used the balanced output so I am selling my dacmagic. I ordered a lavricables grand silver cable and I'm looking forward to seeing what that does to the sound. I am hoping tighter base and more clarity in the mids and heights but if it takes away the warmness of the sound I may have to return them as the stock cables do a fantastic job.

If you're willing to invest in the Z1R, there's should be no reason to hold back from at least a 1AM2. I bought a ZX300 for my XBA-Z5 but I'm glad that I held back from upgrading to the ZX507 or the ZX707 (due to lack of travel during the last 2 years) and went straight to the 1AM2 when I got my Z1R. The Difference from the ZX300 is dramatic to say the least as it's two generation behind and I really don't think there's enough power to the Z1R properly even with the ZX707. Although my desktop PHA-2A did much better but it still lacking compared to the 1AM2. In a way. The old equation for home audio components still hold true. 50% on speakers and 25% on the receiver/amp and 25% on the rest.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #13,342 of 15,170
just curios
Im listening my z1r using Wm1A/ Wm1Am2 both at high gain volume setting around 60-80 depending on the song and with high gain

I tried low gain and also comfortable using it around 80-100 at low gain

But i feel they sounded more lively in high gain.

Is there any benefits using high gain / low gain vice versa ?
How much hearing do you have left 😂. I think I've only hit ~80 once or twice on low level tracks but mostly, I'm under 80 on low gain.

Feb 20, 2023 at 1:03 AM Post #13,343 of 15,170
How much hearing do you have left 😂. I think I've only hit ~80 once or twice on low level tracks but mostly, I'm under 80 on low gain.
I can easily go up to 90-95 on some tracks on low gain. But mostly around 80. I don't listen to music very softly.

Feb 20, 2023 at 2:58 AM Post #13,345 of 15,170
:open_mouth: I hardly go over 30 on low gain.
Oh wait...is this you...?

bat-scarecrow.gif

Feb 20, 2023 at 7:27 AM Post #13,347 of 15,170
Feb 20, 2023 at 7:37 AM Post #13,348 of 15,170
what are the best tips for these? I just got mine the other day and the SS tips are the best fit in terms of being able to go into my ear canal but I’m getting a pain if I push too far in.

Feb 20, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #13,349 of 15,170
what are the best tips for these? I just got mine the other day and the SS tips are the best fit in terms of being able to go into my ear canal but I’m getting a pain if I push too far in.
The best tips are the ones that work best for you, both soundwise and comfortwise, there is no objectively best tip but SO many choices

Feb 20, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #13,350 of 15,170
@Arora
true, there are so many options - see picture below.

and there is no perfect. some fit good, others not. and those which fit good have their unique sound adjustment as well. so there are maybe 2-3 you prefer at the end and like to switch.

i will write this later after comparing in detail.

i bought some tips:
  • spinfit cp100, 145, 155, 240, 360
  • epro - horn shaped
  • earrbond - ebt (hybrid)
  • azla - sedna earfit
  • radius - deep mount
  • comply foam - comply 200
  • final audio - typ e
  • mandarin es - symbio w (hybrid)

this is the first time where i switch many tips within hours and compare them. what i can say so far, especially for those having just 1 pair of tips: damn, tips really change the sound, wow - i couldn't imagine this before. now it makes sense to me when people say: try some tips until you find the one that fits your ears and taste...

1) thank you all for the various recommendations
2) those having just 1 pair of tips: you need to try others as well
3) when doing more critical listening, i will drop some similarities and differences between tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back