SONY IER-Z1R
Feb 14, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #13,277 of 15,172
Feb 14, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #13,278 of 15,172
Regarding availability - especially the Z1R has always been in quite short supply but even the M9 is not as widely and easily available as one might expect from Sony. It's a bit weird - they have great products but don't seem to market them very well outside of Japan.
They are not even available widely in Japan, no stock at Amazon nor at e-earphone

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #13,279 of 15,172
I really feel for all you guys having issues with fit. For me fit was like a glove, out the box. Just had to use a small enough tip so the shell sat snug in my ear as designed. For years I avoided Z1R for all the fit horror stories, and now I'm yet to find an IEM at any price that comes close.
This is exactly the same as it was for me - I chose a Sony silicone tip from the selection based on sizes of tips I use - and the IEMs fit like a glove. I stayed away from these for so long because I thought they would be like other Sony IEMs I could not wear. The ones that stick out like a Frankenstein bolt - and come with cables so stiff that the hook was another thing I fought against... Then I pulled the trigger and found that the cable was soft and supple and the IEM fit with no hot spots. I thouight catch and release - no way.... they are a keeper.

Feb 15, 2023 at 12:03 AM Post #13,281 of 15,172
PXL_20230213_230104094.jpg

They arrived and sound great being driven by a Shanling M6 Ultra. Fit is great, thanks to my big ears, lol. That said, I needed to use some L Sedna EarFit tips (14mm across), because the LL in the box weren't cutting it :frowning2:

Screenshot 2023-02-13 at 5.09.11 PM.png
May I have your ears? Z1R feel like a CIEM in your ears, I am really jealous.

Feb 15, 2023 at 12:06 AM Post #13,282 of 15,172
Just ordered the Z1R to see what all the hub-bub was about. Should be here Wednesday. Letshuoer S12 has been my biggest purchase at $100, so it should be an interested comparison. Love the S12 with 8db bass eq. I hope the Sony can at least match that bass or better.

Quick question. I've noticed price increases on the Sony IEMs lately. The Z1R is out of stock on Sonys own website. And the M9 has only 4 left in stocks.

Do you guys think there is about to be a new series of IEMs? Any rumors? I have a 30 day return period and it would be the worst case to just have spent this much only to have a new Sony flagship released right after.
Highly unlikely, though I really hope there will be a successor or Mk2 of Z1R.

Feb 15, 2023 at 12:07 AM Post #13,283 of 15,172
To those who've tried the Monarch Mk.II and the IER-Z1R, if one fit you would the other aswell? I'm using the MK.II and they fit well enough on me, but I'm quite interested in these given their larger soundstage/bass than the MK.II
If Mk2 shape the same as OG, then my answer is NO. Monarch OG fits me like a glove, but Z1R is horrible in that regard.

Feb 15, 2023 at 3:38 AM Post #13,284 of 15,172
Highly unlikely, though I really hope there will be a successor or Mk2 of Z1R.
My JH13 ciem shells are about the same size as the Z1R shells and even the biggest stock tips where not big enough for me to get a good seal

Feb 15, 2023 at 4:12 AM Post #13,285 of 15,172
They are not even available widely in Japan, no stock at Amazon nor at e-earphone
They are in stock on the Sony Store, just saying^^ if you order them at e-earphone, they should arrive in less than 2 weeks, at most. Most people say it arrived in 1 week or less after order who ordered recently.

So its not in "stock" per se, but its not really out of stock. You just can't get them instantly if you want one unless you buy them at the Sony store.

They are on sale by the way at 楽天 right now

https://biccamera.rakuten.co.jp/item/4548736092860/?scid=af_pc_etc&sc2id=af_109_1_10000815

But not in stock, you have to wait up to an month (specific date not give, just "withing a month")

Feb 15, 2023 at 4:14 AM Post #13,286 of 15,172
Wow, that's a big jump! Hope you'll like what you hear. Make sure to listen to the Z1R on first rate sources if you want to know what it's capable of.
First rate sources would be Sony's NW-WM1A and WM1Z, Sony TA ZH 1ES or for me it's the Chord Hugo 2. There's quite a big difference in SQ compared to lower end sources.

Regarding availability - especially the Z1R has always been in quite short supply but even the M9 is not as widely and easily available as one might expect from Sony. It's a bit weird - they have great products but don't seem to market them very well outside of Japan. Does not look like Sony is preparing to invest into a new product line in the high end market...

But the Z1R is excellent as it is, very unique in sound, build quality, technical concept and a bargain in today's high end IEM market IMO.
It may not look like to people on head-fi, but Hifi gear actually sells extremely bad outside of Japan. There are some countries in Asia that also have good time selling head-fi, but in Europe or in the US, they don't sell well at all. Especially everything above 1000$

Sony is not investing money into marketing because it would not result in revenue.

If they market something in Japan, people buy it. If they market something in Europe, people don't buy it. Thats the big difference.

There are more IER-Z1R owners inside Japan, than there are members in this forum

Feb 15, 2023 at 4:19 AM Post #13,287 of 15,172
They are in stock on the Sony Store, just saying^^ if you order them at e-earphone, they should arrive in less than 2 weeks, at most. Most people say it arrived in 1 week or less after order who ordered recently.

So its not in "stock" per se, but its not really out of stock. You just can't get them instantly if you want one unless you buy them at the Sony store.

They are on sale by the way at 楽天 right now

https://biccamera.rakuten.co.jp/item/4548736092860/?scid=af_pc_etc&sc2id=af_109_1_10000815

But not in stock, you have to wait up to an month (specific date not give, just "withing a month")

https://electronics.sony.com/audio/headphones/all-headphones/p/ierz1r

Sony store IER Z1R says out of stock for me. Customer service can't tell me when stock will be available. Told me to hit the bell button.

I was just curious though. I was looking at how many years it's been between all the signature series updates, and it's getting close to the same time frame pattern. I thought maybe it's like consoles where every 7-8 years there's a new console, and 4 years after release there's a 'pro' version or slim version.

I trust you guys though. You're way more familiar with the audio scene than I am

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2023 at 4:27 AM Post #13,288 of 15,172
https://electronics.sony.com/audio/headphones/all-headphones/p/ierz1r

Sony store IER Z1R says out of stock for me. Customer service can't tell me when stock will be available. Told me to hit the bell button.

I was just curious though. I was looking at how many years it's been between all the signature series updates, and it's getting close to the same time frame pattern. I thought maybe it's like consoles where every 7-8 years there's a new console, and 4 years after release there's a 'pro' version or slim version.

I trust you guys though. You're way more familiar with the audio scene than I am
https://www.sony.jp/headphone/products/IER-Z1R/

Feb 15, 2023 at 4:32 AM Post #13,289 of 15,172
They fit like a glove dor me. I have them for 4yea now. At first i had some comfort issues for a coupke of dazs after that they are supee comfortavle

Feb 15, 2023 at 4:52 AM Post #13,290 of 15,172
Yes these IEM requiere burn in, and regarding dout of stock is onlx a matter of luck. Like i got a nrand new BA-Z5 in amazon US considering they're now discontinued

Users who are viewing this thread

Back