SONY IER-Z1R
Jul 31, 2022 at 7:31 PM Post #12,421 of 15,250
BTW, your final audio mmcx assist tool looks much more durable and sturdy than the one I bought from Amazon with some unrecognizable brandname.

Jul 31, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #12,422 of 15,250
I'm not sure what you mean 'no gap' ? On my Z1R, there is about 1mm gap between the metal shroud at the end of the cable, and the IEM shell itself, this is the stock cable btw. I can easily see the red plastic of the right one, grey of the left in this gap. Tool fits just right between them to force the cable away from the IEM.

IER-Z1R.jpg
Yes on the stock cable, but the discussion was about the majority of third party replacement cables using standard mmcx connectors where the cable connector dissapers down into the recessed socket on the Z1R

Jul 31, 2022 at 9:55 PM Post #12,423 of 15,250
Yes on the stock cable, but the discussion was about the majority of third party replacement cables using standard mmcx connectors where the cable connector dissapers down into the recessed socket on the Z1R
Ah, right, apologies. A cable that disappears into the socket of the Z1R connector is a cable I wouldn't attach to the IEM I suppose.

Aug 1, 2022 at 7:14 AM Post #12,424 of 15,250
If your priorities are on guitar heavy music you might demoing the tia trio as well :wink:
I just did and I think they're made for me. Top of my list. Sadly my country's currency makes it impossible to get for a reasonable price

Aug 2, 2022 at 8:47 AM Post #12,425 of 15,250
Cross-posted from The Watercooler thread since it may be of value here.

So like I said, in the name of science - and compulsive procrastination when I have work to do - I did a quick mini A/B/C between three tips on Z1R: Sony EP-EX11 (or Sony Spare Eartips, as they're romantically called), Final E (original), and Acoustune AEX07. All S size (I have narrow canals).

I used familiar sections from three tracks: Ethel Cain - Thoroughfare (2:50-4:00), Beyries - Pursuit of Happiness (0:00-2:00) and Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing (0:00-2:00).

I won't go into specifics, just the findings.

PSX_20220802_140519.jpg

Build/shape: all three tips are bullet shaped and made from ultrasoft, comfortable silicone. All are more or less the same height and width (11mm). Final slightly wider in the middle.

Softness/comfort: Sony = Final > Acoustune

Bore size: Sony = Final (small), Acoustune moderate

Grippiness: Acoustune (matte) > Final (smooth) > Sony (slick)

Sound: I was mainly testing for bass response/focus, vocal purity/clarity/fullness, and treble detail/smoothness.

Bass: Final and Sony have more pronounced/impactful bass with deep sub-bass and good midbass punch. Acoustune is more neutral, with good punch but less sub-bass rumble.

Mids (vocals): Sony is fuller and warmer, and sounds smoother and more natural. Acoustune adds air to the vocals, with slightly more detail but also thinner and not as full. Final E sits in the middle, with more air than Sony but less full. Final also seems to hollow out the vocals a bit, a consistent trait I hear with these tips and most IEMs.

Treble: Sony and Final slightly attenuate the treble, with Sony the smoother of the two. Final is oddly peaky with some treble notes, another characteristic I've heard before with other IEMs. Acoustune has airier treble, which opens up the stage and adds a touch of detail, but sacrifices warmth.

Conclusion

Both Final and Acoustune add some detail compared to the Sony tips but sound less natural and cohesive. All three tips are among the most comfortable I've used, especially compared to firmer silicone tips like Sedna EarFit, with Sony and Final sharing the overall comfort prize.

Verdict: Sony is my overall preference. It sacrifices some air/detail in return for a smoother, fuller and more 'correct' sound with Z1R. Outstanding bass/mids/treble in equal measure. Accoustune is great for those wanting less bass and more midrange detail/air, but beware of poorly recorded female vocals and treble with these. Final is a good substitute for the Sony, but lacks some refinement in the vocals/treble by comparison.

L to R: Final, Sony, Acoustune

PSX_20220802_140421.jpg

PSX_20220802_140331.jpg

Aug 2, 2022 at 8:56 AM Post #12,426 of 15,250

So like I said, in the name of science - and compulsive procrastination when I have work to do - I did a quick mini A/B/C between three tips on Z1R: Sony EP-EX11 (or Sony Spare Eartips, as they're romantically called), Final E (original), and Acoustune AEX07. All S size (I have narrow canals).

I used familiar sections from three tracks: Ethel Cain - Thoroughfare (2:50-4:00), Beyries - Pursuit of Happiness (0:00-2:00) and Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing (0:00-2:00).

PSX_20220802_140519.jpg

Build/shape: all three tips are bullet shaped and made from ultrasoft, comfortable silicone. All are more or less the same height and width (11mm). Final slightly wider in the middle.

Sound: I was mainly testing for bass response/focus, vocal purity/clarity/fullness, and treble detail/smoothness.

Bass: Final and Sony have more pronounced/impactful bass with deep sub-bass and good midbass punch. Acoustune is more neutral, with good punch but less sub-bass rumble.

Mids (vocals): Sony is fuller and warmer, and sounds smoother and more natural. Acoustune adds air to the vocals, with slightly more detail but also thinner and not as full. Final E sits in the middle, with more air than Sony but less full. Final also seems to hollow out the vocals a bit, a consistent trait I hear with these tips and most IEMs.

Treble: Sony and Final slightly attenuate the treble, with Sony the smoother of the two. Final is oddly peaky with some treble notes, another characteristic I've heard before with other IEMs. Acoustune has airier treble, which opens up the stage and adds a touch of detail, but sacrifices warmth.

Conclusion

Both Final and Acoustune add some detail compared to the Sony tips but sound less natural and cohesive. All three tips are among the most comfortable I've used, especially compared to firmer silicone tips like Sedna EarFit, with Sony and Final sharing the overall comfort prize.

Verdict: Sony is my overall preference. It sacrifices some air/detail in return for a smoother, fuller and more 'correct' sound with Z1R. Outstanding bass/mids/treble in equal measure. Accoustune is great for those wanting less bass and more midrange detail/air, but beware of poorly recorded female vocals and treble with these. Final is a good substitute for the Sony, but lacks some refinement in the vocals/treble by comparison.

PSX_20220802_140421.jpg

PSX_20220802_140331.jpg

Why not just use stock tips from Z1R?

Aug 2, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #12,427 of 15,250
My problem with the Sony stock tips is that they are too small for my ear canals

Aug 2, 2022 at 11:05 PM Post #12,429 of 15,250

PSX_20220802_140519.jpg

Conclusion

PSX_20220802_140421.jpg

PSX_20220802_140331.jpg

I concur with similar experiences. I was chasing perfection with lot of tips, in fact I tried and bought almost every eartips models that i can achieve (some imported).
The final and sony are similars, with their small bore they have sub and mid bass impact, but little sub bass from sony from what i heard, the finals are close but mid bass just slightly more pronounced. Mids are neutral with both (wide bore give more forwarded mids instead). And trebles as exactly you mentioned, they have slight more prominent trebles, with final are more detail but little bit harsher because of the material.
The nozzle neck stem part from final made using harder rubber, thus not absorbing sparkles at all, while sony using softer material can lead to slightly dampening sparkles or i called as unwanted resonance, the tails of some trebles frequencies, or treble decays. That's why jvc made spiral dot to absorb these unwanted treble resonance.
I keep learning about modding, dampening and materials do play big role in sound. Have a good talk about this with Slater last time.

20220803_095333.jpg
I also keep coming back to sony eartips, they are comfortable, and i always have great seal with them.

Ironically, I prefer fake Z1R eartips, that i bought on ali last time, they have similar shape, a bit softer, but materials are grippier so i get great seal, with similar sound quality.
here the pic :
from left the fake Z1R eartips, original Z1R tips, and Sony EP11
20220803_095644.jpg
edit : those are L size eartips

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022 at 12:43 AM Post #12,431 of 15,250

PSX_20220802_140519.jpg

Conclusion

PSX_20220802_140421.jpg

PSX_20220802_140331.jpg
Interesting comparison, I assume your results are from perfect seal for all three tips. For me, the more concerning issue of tips is some of the tips just cannot form a perfect seal: either they gradually ease out of my ears due to lack of grip, or their springy umbrella immediately push the IEM back, either case the formed seal will break.

BTW, Sony EP-EX11 is not available for sales in US and you have buy from Japanese sellers on ebay.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022 at 2:20 AM Post #12,432 of 15,250
Interesting comparison, I assume your results are from perfect seal for all three tips. For me, the more concerning issue of tips is some of the tips just cannot form a perfect seal: either they gradually ease out of my ears due to lack of grip, or their springy umbrella immediately push the IEM back, either case the formed seal will break.

BTW, Sony EP-EX11 is not available for sales in US and you have buy from Japanese sellers on ebay.
Yes, all achieve a perfect seal you'll know when there's no seal when bass goes flat and treble goes haywire. Thankfully I've always had a great seal with Z1R, even with larger tips that wedge in the entrance to my ear canals. The S tips I use go deeper, almost to the first bend in the ear, so they never fall out. The Sony EP tips do slide around a bit (without breaking seal) so I sometimes push them in a little more during longer sessions.

Aug 4, 2022 at 1:33 AM Post #12,433 of 15,250
Can anyone who purchased the IER-Z1R recently share what the current serial number range is?

Aug 4, 2022 at 6:37 AM Post #12,434 of 15,250
Anyone got Z1R and Tia Trio together? Any detailed comparison between them?
just curious because they are sharing bit similarity in tuning (mild V shaped, with bold bass and fun energetic trebles), comparable drivers (3 drivers, DD + open BAs with sony's own open BA and TIA system also open BA), both TOTL and I heard trio also have great bass presentation.

Aug 5, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #12,435 of 15,250
Anyone has similar issue before? See my picture below: metal shell of the mmcx cable termination falling out from the plastic top.

Attachments

• 20220805_150607.jpg
    20220805_150607.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back