SONY IER-Z1R
Oct 15, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #10,981 of 15,250
I'm trying to figure out this multi-quote thing, but posted the following to Neweymatt on the same thing:

I just came across Crin's Premium Graph Comparison Tool: https://crinacle.com/graphs/iems/graphtool/?share=IEF_Neutral_Target,Dusk_S2
It would seem useful, for ballpark purposes, to overlay frequency lines of IEMs with suspected similarities, but wonder about the design intangibles that might affect sound signatures, besides small differences in frequency responses making big differences. Seems useful -- to a point.

I suspect you've already discovered this tool and realized the limits of frequency comparisons? Or maybe, to one who really understands the charts, they're extremely revealing/useful? I'm wondering.
Yeah, graphs are helpful for me to get a general idea of how an IEM or headphone might sound, but the proof is in the hearing I believe..

Oct 16, 2021 at 6:22 AM Post #10,982 of 15,250
Well i dont knowif it has to do with being Multi-BA IEM. I have an IER-M7 which is a multi BA and the bass digs deep for a BA, but it does not deccay like a DD
Yeah sorry what I meant was that it seems I've read Redcarmoose' opinion on K10E v Z1R before that's why I had an inkling of knowing about it despite it being secondhand knowledge. I basically follow Both MDR and IER Z1R thread since they are created after all. :sweat_smile:

The Z1R came btw. This thing really looks more like Jewelry than IEMs.. Well anyway. After some wows on the packaging, pop them into my ear with the included M hybrid and immediately, the depth. The width, all the IEMs I have that I thought have big Soundstage aren't actually that big after all huh? On some tracks it felt like I'm wearing an over ear instead of IEM. This pair gonna replace my XBA A3 as my portable movie watching gear so that's a big, big plus for me.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #10,983 of 15,250
Ah also, I have quite a big ear so fit is non issue for me, but that's already what I expect as I'm already very comfortable to many pair that doesn't fit other people's ear, I'm lucky I have black hole ears. For that matter

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #10,985 of 15,250
So far it seems likely the Z1R is gonna kick out the Z7 and A3 from my collection, as it basically supplant their job entirely, with it being a better MDR Z1R replacement when going portable than Z7, and actually so far about as comfortable as XBA A3.
The only problem I found is just its heft, other iems I can just hang on my ear and converse with people with them out of my ear. Then continue on after it's done, the Z1R's weight make it just a tad more awkward for that. But hey it's not like I'm planning on daily driving it soon. It's a bit too expensive for me to subject it to that,:sweat_smile: just like the MDR version, gotta take care of it and reserve it for special occasions.

Oct 16, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #10,986 of 15,250
So after doing more Z1R and Mest mkii comparisons, I am keeping the Z1R and selling the Mest. They are both great iems, but I like the wider stage and bigger bass of the Z1R. Mest is more mid centric, more intimate, and has better treble. Cymbals definitely sound better on the Mest, but as a basshead, that z1r bass is just great. I'd be curious to compare to Z5 side by side.

Oct 16, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #10,987 of 15,250
Has anyone mentioned how disappointed they are that, after all the cheap cables I’ve had in my life which never had this problem, the amazing Z1R cables’ plug loses its gold plating with just a couple insertions? Plating must be a millionth of a micron. Such a weird, inconsequential place to cheap out.

Oct 16, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #10,988 of 15,250
Has anyone mentioned how disappointed they are that, after all the cheap cables I’ve had in my life which never had this problem, the amazing Z1R cables’ plug loses its gold plating with just a couple insertions? Plating must be a millionth of a micron. Such a weird, inconsequential place to cheap out.
I am not seeing that wear on my 4,4mm plug so far. Can you post a picture?

Oct 16, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #10,989 of 15,250
I am not seeing that wear on my 4,4mm plug so far. Can you post a picture?
Never had that problem either. That’s considering I used to rotate my IEMs quite often. So the Z1R plug was always in and out and even when I used to test a lot of different sources with different adapters.

Oct 16, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #10,990 of 15,250
No problem with mine either, I'd think on average it'd only show some wear on the plating after 1+ year of use.
Sony have Gold plated like what? hundreds of thousands 3.5mm jack at this point? Not sure why they'd do it worse for their actual flagship.

Oct 16, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #10,992 of 15,250
Would the gold plating wearing off on the connector have an impact on anything?
The gold plating counters corrosion and oxydisation and ensures better electrical contact so at least in theory it could affect the sound

Oct 18, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #10,993 of 15,250
How Z1R look without the eubbwe hoses onthwhooks image.jpg

Oct 18, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #10,995 of 15,250
Did you remove them manually with scissors, any special technique?
How do you like the end result of no hoses? 😜
They became detached from beliw, where the canle joins thw hook and theywere brittle and i just simply peeled thwm off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back