SONY IER-Z1R
Oct 12, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #10,951 of 15,247
So my mest mkii came, along with Dx300, blu go, and he 6se. Still waiting on Z1r. Ugh! I think thr z1r will like be the keeper. Mest have super wide bores and are uncomfortable. Had the same issue with 3dt. Sound is good, but for $1500 I had higher expectations. I thought with the dx300, I would be in audio heaven. I was underwhelmed.

But on a high note, Thrice's new album came in the mail today a week ahead of release, so there's that!

I'll post impressions with mest vs z1r as soon as they show up.

Oct 13, 2021 at 1:44 AM Post #10,952 of 15,247
The MDR-Z1R are still on sale in Japan for 1480€, but the IER-Z1R are back at 2199€. So maybe the same happens to the MDR? Better get one fast if you really want one.

Congratulations to the one who get the IER-Z1R for the cheap price
I know that this is the IER-Z1R thread, but It's actually nice to see someone that owns both the MDR-Z1R and the HD820.

Those two to me, are some of the best closed-back cans I've heard. The MDR-Z1R has that fun tonality I enjoy for the more energetic genres and the HD820 being quite the technical headphone that it is, it's great for doing some "reference" work even though the "measurements" say otherwise. Before hearing the DCA Stealth, these two were my top choices and if I honestly had the money... I'd have all 3 lmao

Back to the IER topic, I can't wait until I have some spare moolah to spend on getting an IER-Z1R again sometime soon.

Oct 13, 2021 at 1:44 AM Post #10,953 of 15,247
So my mest mkii came, along with Dx300, blu go, and he 6se. Still waiting on Z1r. Ugh! I think thr z1r will like be the keeper. Mest have super wide bores and are uncomfortable. Had the same issue with 3dt. Sound is good, but for $1500 I had higher expectations. I thought with the dx300, I would be in audio heaven. I was underwhelmed.

But on a high note, Thrice's new album came in the mail today a week ahead of release, so there's that!

I'll post impressions with mest vs z1r as soon as they show up.
Not quite the right forum for this, but after much tip-rolling angst I actually found the stock silicon tips on the 3DT to work best, have you tried those on the MEST?

Oct 14, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #10,954 of 15,247
Anyone have any experiences of finding an IEM that is similar sounding to IER-Z1R? I love my Z1R but I want something that is comfier for longer.

Just splashed out on the AZLA SednaEarfit tips twice (bought the larger sized ones first which are far too big for my shallow small ear canals). The SS is far too small and doesn't seal and the S or MS is best but still not as comfy as the stock triple comfort fit tips.

Watching crins YouTube review tonight makes me realise how shallow my ears must be. He pushes them so deep - no way I can push in so far.

The Z1R sound is so perfect for me, but surely there is something out there for shallower ears with the same sound signature.

Had the Odin, Thummim and IE900 but nothing touches the Z1R for my audio desires.

Oct 14, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #10,955 of 15,247
Anyone have any experiences of finding an IEM that is similar sounding to IER-Z1R? I love my Z1R but I want something that is comfier for longer.

Just splashed out on the AZLA SednaEarfit tips twice (bought the larger sized ones first which are far too big for my shallow small ear canals). The SS is far too small and doesn't seal and the S or MS is best but still not as comfy as the stock triple comfort fit tips.

Watching crins YouTube review tonight makes me realise how shallow my ears must be. He pushes them so deep - no way I can push in so far.

The Z1R sound is so perfect for me, but surely there is something out there for shallower ears with the same sound signature.

Had the Odin, Thummim and IE900 but nothing touches the Z1R for my audio desires.
I had some success with the symbios. The orange model with outer silicone dome but with the foam underneath. I then removed the foam which is super easy to do and viola great fitting and great sound. What’s also great is once in they don’t move. These give me a seal every single time and they are extremely comfortable with the mod.

Oct 14, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #10,956 of 15,247

Have you tried the Azla Crystal Standard tips? I heard they seal really well and keep the IEM in place, which may help if the fit isn't as deep.
I haven't tried them myself, since I am (luckily) using the stock hybrid silicone that is working perfectly for my ears.
And... have to agree, the IER Z1R is truly special.

Oct 14, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #10,957 of 15,247

Have you tried a softer tip, like Final E? With those tips I can get the Z1R lodged perfectly in my ear canals, and I can have them in for hours with no discomfort at all. The silicon of the Azlas, even the 'light' version, are too hard for me to use with the Z1R's deep insertion requirement. OTOH, Azla Light work perfectly for me on the Andro, but it doesn't insert near as deep as the Z1R. Experimentation definitely required :wink:

Oct 14, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #10,958 of 15,247

I have to agree with @Verificateur , Azla crystals sound like your best bet. They work miracles on the fit of the Z1R’s for me. But yeah, I haven’t heard anything that is quite like the sound of the Z1R … a very unique sound presentation which has ensured its indefinite stay in my collection.

Oct 14, 2021 at 7:14 PM Post #10,959 of 15,247
But yeah, I haven’t heard anything that is quite like the sound of the Z1R … a very unique sound presentation which has ensured its indefinite stay in my collection.
I see you also have Odin & LX, I'm curious how you compare/contrast them with Z1R?

I've been considering a next step and EE is near the top of my list; whether either of those or the EVO...

Oct 14, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #10,960 of 15,247
There's not much to step up too! Z1r is generally considered top tier! I've been warming up mote and more to thr mest mkii, but can't compare to z1r till tomorrow.

Oct 14, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #10,961 of 15,247
Anyone have any experience with Sony's Protect or Protect Plus extended warranties? https://protect.electronics.sony.co...g2U6nFtQLx&campaign=renewal&refer=EIW-VS-EM-3
I have the 3 year protection plus because it even covers drops, damage, replacement. A lot can happen in three years and $279 is a lot less painful than looking at my $2000 headphones with a giant dent in them. I have not utilized the protection, but it seems automatic: you simply take care of everything in their automated system inside the product locker. Sony doesn’t repair Z1Rs they only replace them

Oct 14, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #10,962 of 15,247
Have an IER Z1R coming this weekend, finally I got off mid range IEMs and to this baby. Didn't have any high end experience on IEM other than a Noble Kaiser 10 on Jaben Demo, and back then I didn't even have my XBA A3 yet for comparison. Before even that is just the stock Shure 535 non SE that wowed me when I bought my first iem, Audio Technica's IM50 5 years ago.
After that a lot of mid range purchases, all of which killed the Shures for sure, but never got to try anything comparable to the Kaiser for me to consider going up again.

But then whis week came another crypto boom.

Getting my RTX 3060Ti on launch week with little markup have net me both pair of Z1Rs. Funny how this world works. :ksc75smile:
Knowing that I already love my MDR Z1R, I'm confident they're both a keeper for me, I'm gonna use them till they breaks.

Oct 14, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #10,963 of 15,247
Have an IER Z1R coming this weekend, finally I got off mid range IEMs and to this baby. Didn't have any high end experience on IEM other than a Noble Kaiser 10 on Jaben Demo, and back then I didn't even have my XBA A3 yet for comparison. Before even that is just the stock Shure 535 non SE that wowed me when I bought my first iem, Audio Technica's IM50 5 years ago.
After that a lot of mid range purchases, all of which killed the Shures for sure, but never got to try anything comparable to the Kaiser for me to consider going up again.

But then whis week came another crypto boom.

Getting my RTX 3060Ti on launch week with little markup have net me both pair of Z1Rs. Funny how this world works. :ksc75smile:
Knowing that I already love my MDR Z1R, I'm confident they're both a keeper for me, I'm gonna use them till they breaks.
I have the IER-Z1R and Nobel Audio K-10 Encore. I have heard both the Katana and Encore before a purchase.

You will probably notice the IER as both more natural and complete experience than the Kaiser-10. The IER is really in another league all together. Your in for a treat! Though I use the Encore all the time for a different experience still.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2021 at 1:39 AM Post #10,964 of 15,247
I saw a Kaiser 10 Encore deal while looking for the Sony, used, its going for a tad cheaper than the Z1R, I was tempted, but decided to be patient as this is probably gonna be my only summit fi IEM.

Oct 15, 2021 at 2:26 AM Post #10,965 of 15,247
The two are opposites really.
I saw a Kaiser 10 Encore deal while looking for the Sony, used, its going for a tad cheaper than the Z1R, I was tempted, but decided to be patient as this is probably gonna be my only summit fi IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back