SONY IER-Z1R
Oct 7, 2021 at 4:18 AM Post #10,906 of 15,258
Oct 7, 2021 at 4:51 AM Post #10,907 of 15,258
Do we know if it is possible to buy only side of the IEM?
On the odd occasion I have seen used single left or right iems on the e earphone site (Japan), I just checked and there are none currently available. I'd say it would be rare to come across one, especially the side you need but it is the only site I've seen offering one side. If you got lucky there are buying agents like Zenmarket that may buy and send for you.

Oct 7, 2021 at 6:23 AM Post #10,908 of 15,258
Do we know if it is possible to buy only side of the IEM?
Nope. I once had a damaged foam on one side of my XBA-Z5 and i asked Sony if it is possible to repair it.

I asked directly at Sony Support in Japan and they told me, its not possible. They have to replace the whole unit and with whole unit, they mean the whole headphone (both).

So you have to send in everything (Maybe they recycle it, maybe they just trash it) and you get a brand new pair of earphones.

So if you say you broke one or you lost one, they want you to send in everything what you have left and you'll receive a new pair (to a discount price, but you have to pay for a new pair. Its only very slightly lower than the retail price).

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #10,911 of 15,258
I received my Spinfit CP100+ today but i am not sure yet if they improved the sound or not.

I cant put them as deep into my ear as the S-Size Sony Hybrid Silicone, but thats neither good or bad. They stick out a bit more, but don't seal or "fit" worse. Maybe its an improvement in comfort because they are no longer as close to the ear as before, but would have to use them longer to make sure.

But they are not like "wow that is much better", i would still carry the hybrid silicone from Sony with me so i could switch anytime. There is still some doubt left if its really better or just different.

But with the IER-M9 its a big improvement in sound+comfort, but i have the feeling they isolate a bit worse. But not sure yet if that is really the case and if it is worth it.

Oct 7, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #10,912 of 15,258
So before I returned the Dunu Blanche I figured I’d give it another good listen. In the process I surprised myself.

I’m no sound or electrical engineer. But for reference, my career is in sociolinguistics. I have to notice small differences in any kind of communication, and I’ve had to train on phonetics for the field on tonal languages which have extremely subtle tone differences on ‘the same’ sounds to mean completely different words. Furthermore, I have to transcribe in the International Phonetic Alphabet in realtime (http://ipachart.com/) which often has extremely fine differences in phonetics of the human mouth. All to say that I am extremely practiced at sitting and listening to recording after recording after recording of what sounds like the same thing and actually being responsible, with consequences, for correctly transcribing the tones and phonetics with painfully small differences that take multiple listens, sometimes fifty, just to catch. On top of that I was a very dedicated percussionist for a long time known for listening carefully to sound quality, detail, and resonance on everything from triangles to re-tuning six timpani to six new notes in only two allègre measures in the middle of a symphony. I am extremely sensitive to sound, especially noise pollution. Idiots who leafblow instead of rake are the bane of my, and the songbirds’, existence (I can’t wait for the noisy and smelly fossil fuel era to fade into painful memory). I also clean my ears very carefully lol. I’m sure others have more bona fides, these are just so that you know what my subjective opinion rests on. I’m specialized in hearing slight differences, of some sorts, as I’m sure many sound engineers, mixers, and musicians are in their own ways.

So, unbalanced connection, on my NW-A105TPS. I switched back and forth quickly, many times, on the same two songs (Over the Hills and Far Away 96/24 FLAC and My Home is in the Delta 11.2896MHz DSD), at the same point of each song. I did it so many times that often I forgot which cable I had plugged in, which was really an opportunity to judge the sound.

An annoying process to be sure. At first, the different impressions were more airiness and detail with the Blanche. Noting the contrasting visual characteristics of copper vs silver I was wary of any parallels I might draw between the auditory and the visual–with silver being a colder, brighter, harsher, more revealing color and copper being warmer, darker–so forth and so on. Also noting the tendency to justify purchases may bias me… When I thought the Blanche was more airy, or with a wider soundstage, or with more instrument separation, I realized the cables were lighter and more comfortable, and the cord organizer wasn’t tightened, thus not up against as much of my neck, and the cords were even a bit colder to the touch, all which one could unconsciously associate with such descriptors. So I would start over and ensure the cords were in the same position, and sure enough that was what I was making an association between with the sound. When I closely isolated various song details, I could not identify what was different but I did have the intuition that something was slightly different. After a long time, a few hours of listening to the same 30 seconds of the same two songs over and over, I came to realize that the Blanche was unpleasant with a small number of high frequency impactful sounds like particularly harsh guitar strums or plucks, some snare drum hits, crash and ride cymbals. In that soundspace, such sounds that had initially seemed a tiny more detailed with the Blanche actually revealed themselves to be harsh, unpleasant, unrefined, even perhaps, distorted. Keep in mind that at this point I was beyond the microscope of these sounds into what AntMan would call the Quantum Realm: very very small scale. These terms are also probably imprecise references vis-à-vis the proper lexicon for such tests and measurements: it wouldn’t shock me if someone laser-penned their powerpoint chart showing me that there was no distortion, harshness, whatever. Anyway, it was more apparent in the poorer Led Zeppelin recording than the higher quality Muddy Waters song (and I don’t mean filetype but rather the quality of the original recording job). Once I heard it, I couldn’t unhear it, and it persevered after controlling every variable I could think of: ear tips, insertion, position, cable position, skin contact, comfort and discomfort, whatever. Compared to the Blanche the stock cable seemed to, in my opinion, work with the headphones in a complimentary way for easier, more enjoyable listening. I had my friend randomly swap the cable and place them in my ear until I said it was positioned correctly (because if I touched it I would be able to feel the connector and know which cable it was). I still heard it and didn’t want to listen anymore. It had become all I could hear. At the risk of exaggeration, the stock cable seems to optimally tame / harness / balance the sound of these IEMs. Of course by now my eyes are Catherine Wheels and I even hear a phone ring blast in The Ocean (Led Zeppelin) around 1:38 (I swear I hear it!)

The big surprise came afterwards. I don’t know why but when I sat down to work I grabbed my FiiO Q3 and plugged it into the walkman, then used the balanced stock cable to the headphones. I wasn’t thinking about the sound anymore but rather consumed by how behind I am now for wasting my time on such a stupid experiment. Anyway the surprise was that after knowing the sound of that song for so long, when I just hit play and it was still on that song my attention immediately came back to the sound: it was junk. Relatively speaking. Muddled, suffocated, and dull. It was so strange. Now of course I was insane by this point, I felt like I knew the thread count of the carpet in the recording studios of these two songs. I put the unbalanced cable back on and it was resolved. Tried a few times and sure enough, the unbalanced was cleaner with more separation and detail. It’s splitting Higgs Bosons of course at this stage, I would have never noticed it a few hours ago. But there you have it.

Keep in mind that the unbalanced is processed by the Walkman only, and the balanced is processed (also?) by the FiiO Q3.

I’m probably just out of my mind. I’ll stop procrastinating now that I’ve boxed up that balanced connection and the Q3 for the auditory joy and simplicity of the unbalanced life. Anyway, my G.A.S. is satiated and I’m now trying to cure the hangover…
Wow, @ilbisonte - fantastic catch! I hear the phone ringing as well, along with one more ring at 1:41. I love hearing "mistakes" like that - thanks!

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #10,913 of 15,258
Well, looks like you got the z1r. So I assume you're happy with it? If not, feel free to sell it to me! Haha
I do like them. They blew me away on first listen and I said "WOW" out loud with my mouth hanging open. After burning them in, they sound really good. I am still wanting to hear other TOTL IEMs to compare to see if I like them better. There are still things about the Z1R that I don't love (I dont feel they are 10/10), but considering the price, I think it is the best thing to get in that price range.

Oct 7, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #10,914 of 15,258
I do like them. They blew me away on first listen and I said "WOW" out loud with my mouth hanging open. After burning them in, they sound really good. I am still wanting to hear other TOTL IEMs to compare to see if I like them better. There are still things about the Z1R that I don't love (I dont feel they are 10/10), but considering the price, I think it is the best thing to get in that price range.
Yeah, I messaged everyone I could who is selling theirs last night. No responses yet! Still unsure about it vs mkii. BGGAR prefers the mkii and I've found that he and I have similar tests, but he still has Z1R at number 3 spot. Only time I've strongly disagreed wirh him is his low assessment of the Z5. I think that is a highly underrated iem.

However, part of me wonders if I'm wasting money. Like will the z1r at 1600 sound better than the campfire audio cascade at 800? Am I just paying for for factor? If I could run the z1r in a more portable way like the WG xm4 and just always have them on me, that adds value, but not sure thats realistic. I do have an ifi go blu on the way and really enjoy ifi products in general. Hipdac beats m11 in sound for example. Idk. So many options!

Oct 7, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #10,915 of 15,258
Currently listening to image.jpg

Oct 7, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #10,916 of 15,258
Currently listening to image.jpg
Ah, I remember when you got these as an upgrade from Z5 in the Z5 thread. You are still happy with them as your end game then?

Oct 8, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #10,917 of 15,258
Ah, I remember when you got these as an upgrade from Z5 in the Z5 thread. You are still happy with them as your end game then?
Yes i am still happy, plus add a more powerful source like a DMP-Z1 or ibasso Max and they scale well

Oct 8, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #10,918 of 15,258
I just bought the ibasso 300. Was going back and forth between r8 and maybe r6 to be more portable and the 300 seemed to get a little better review than r8 (or at least equal) for far less. I ended up going wirh thr Mest mkii as well. Hope it lives up to the hype!

Oct 8, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #10,919 of 15,258
I just bought the ibasso 300. Was going back and forth between r8 and maybe r6 to be more portable and the 300 seemed to get a little better review than r8 (or at least equal) for far less. I ended up going wirh thr Mest mkii as well. Hope it lives up to the hype!
I heard the DMP-Z1 in berkin with theshoos IER-Z1R in single-ended and they scaled well, so i could picture how even better with a 3.4mm cable the scale would be

Oct 8, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #10,920 of 15,258
Holy crap! $8500 for a desktop dac!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back