SONY IER-Z1R
Sep 9, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #10,831 of 15,258
I just got the same cable again. Was free under EU warranty. I live in Spain but got them via Sony Centre Wembeley in UK and haggled them down to 1500 sterling from 2000 ... I just pointed them to SONY USA site where they are 1700 dollars and said with exchange rate + 20 VAT the fair price is 1500 sterling so they just accepted it ha ... prob they never sell Z1Rs as they had to special order them and showing they sold a few prob makes them look good to the Sony Japan overlords :)

Yeah I got the Hugo 2 in April and I fn love it with the Z1Rs ... I had the mojo before and still do (not selling that) but never use it now. The separation and soundstaging of the Hugo2 is profound. The power also really makes the supertweeter work as intended whereas on the mojo it really wasn't enough.
Thanks a lot for the sharing! I'm not a big fan of the Mojo, which is too warm and intimate for me, but totally agree with the Hugo 2 description.

Time to describe the cable from the Lavricables. I'm pleased with the sound, treble has become more crispy, sound more transparent than with the stock. The difference is not significant but in blind tests, I distinguished stock cable on the track from Casey Abrams. That is to say, the change definitely presents, but it's not crucial. I need to say that I'm a fan of the type of sound that some people could call "sterile". For instance, I prefer the UAPP player to Cayin/Hiby players, which are adding a bit of warmth in the case of Cayin n6II. As well as that I am using Azla Crystal, which is not focusing on bass response and concentrating more on trebles and mf.
Regarding the quality of the cable, It is a lightweight and comfy cable. The connectors suit z1r perfectly, they are not spinning but at the same time, they could be extracted without any tools just with a t-shirt :) The main focus is to keep the connector straight as result it can be disconnected quite easily( bot not like stock one)
Unfortunately, I faced a tiny problem with the cover of the cable, but people from Lavricables promise to tackle this problem.

Hope it will be helpful for someone:)

Sep 14, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #10,832 of 15,258
Anybody using the Z1R with a dac/amp connected to their phone? which ones do you think have good synergy with the Sony's sound profile?

Sep 14, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #10,833 of 15,258
WM1A
Anybody using the Z1R with a dac/amp connected to their phone? which ones do you think have good synergy with the Sony's sound profile?

I use 4 different types of combo

1) It was perfect with WM1A as BT receiver of my Galaxy Z Fold 2 (the WM1A can control directly smartphone's apps in a playlist via BT's DAC)
2) As I also use the Centrance M8 V2 ..BT DAC mode or USB-C DAC Mode, but I am missing some impressive Sony's DSP features though I can use Neutron or Uapp's PEQ (not for offline use with Qobuz or Amazon HD)

Otherwise, still some fun with iBasso DC-04 4.4mm or ddHiFi TC25B, but both are behind the Centrance M8V2 as IER-Z1R likes some RAW power.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #10,835 of 15,258
I am using iPhone 12 Pro Max + iFi iDSD Signature combo. Excellent synergy. Also, this combo works great with my Focal Clear too.

Sep 14, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #10,836 of 15,258
Ive not had the chance to listen to my IER Z1R much lately due to other commitments outside of the hobby. Anyway the good news is I now find myself with some free time on my hands and I am now able to get fully reacquainted with these bad boys.

I have to say these really are something quite special. Roll on the IER Z2R

Sep 14, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #10,837 of 15,258
I am using iPhone 12 Pro Max + iFi iDSD Signature combo.
I bet the 10V/5.5V RMS plus the WATTS of power make them sound amazing!

Sep 16, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #10,840 of 15,258
Does anyone have any experience with 2pin to mmcx adapters that will fit the z1r's recessed socket? I have a lot of 2pin cables that I want to test with the z1r (but don't want to risk breaking the mmcx sockets on the iems too).. thank you so much
Good result with OE Audio's adapter: https://www.oeaudio.net/iem-adapter. It fits well within the recess and has a positive and secure click. It does spin, although I have no problem with that. Like you, I don't trust the longevity of the MMCX connection, so I'm leaving the adapter installed as I search for the "best" 2-pin cable. (Not a fan of ear hooks as used on the standard cable.)

Sep 16, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #10,841 of 15,258
Good result with OE Audio's adapter: https://www.oeaudio.net/iem-adapter. It fits well within the recess and has a positive and secure click. It does spin, although I have no problem with that. Like you, I don't trust the longevity of the MMCX connection, so I'm leaving the adapter installed as I search for the "best" 2-pin cable. (Not a fan of ear hooks as used on the standard cable.)
Do you mind sharing the photo how it looks like on the Z1R? Thanks!

Sep 17, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #10,842 of 15,258
Do you mind sharing the photo how it looks like on the Z1R? Thanks!
Here's the pic in response to my comment (Question: As a newbie, how can I reply that includes my, or all, previous quotes?): "Good result with OE Audio's adapter: https://www.oeaudio.net/iem-adapter. It fits well within the recess and has a positive and secure click. It does spin, although I have no problem with that. Like you, I don't trust the longevity of the MMCX connection, so I'm leaving the adapter installed as I search for the "best" 2-pin cable. (Not a fan of ear hooks as used on the standard cable.)"
OE Audio adapter.jpg

Sep 17, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #10,843 of 15,258
Anyone using one of Plussound's silver cables with the IER-Z1R? I'm using Plussound's copper cable, but recognize that Sony's supplied cables are silver plated, so wonder if I'm missing something by going all copper. The three Plussound cables I'm looking at are the silver+gold, gold plated silver, and tri-silver. I do see a huge thumbs-up for the tri-silver from hugo poon in the Plussound thread. (Note: I'm not using Sony's cables because of the thickness and memory wire.)

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #10,844 of 15,258
Anyone using one of Plussound's silver cables with the IER-Z1R? I'm using Plussound's copper cable, but recognize that Sony's supplied cables are silver plated, so wonder if I'm missing something by going all copper. The three Plussound cable's I'm looking at are the silver+gold, gold plated silver, and tri-silver. I do see a huge thumbs-up for the tri-silver from hugo poon in the Plussound thread. (Note: I'm not using Sony's cables because of the thickness and memory wire.)
I'm using the Dunu Blanche silver which to me makes a small but meaningfull improvement on clarity and dynamics over the stock cable (which I actually find very good)

Sep 17, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #10,845 of 15,258
I'm using the Dunu Blanche silver which to me makes a small but meaningfull improvement on clarity and dynamics over the stock cable (which I actually find very good)
I'm going to use my FiiO LC-4.4D and see how it sounds. I've been holding bc I have broken MMCX connectors before from switching them out too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back