SONY IER-Z1R
May 2, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #10,351 of 15,254
At this point, I would write directly to Sony and since it has already happened to two cables the same thing I would ask to solve the problem and to better check the factory that produces these cables for them in China. The one thing that does not cure directly causes these serious problems, they should think about this. And ruining so good and expensive iem for a problem like this is not something we ever want to see. Luckily I've never used those cables ... too beautyful to be also good. :wink:
I look forward to the lc-re fiio and thanks to the interchangeable jack once placed I will consider as soldered.
But Sony have to know.
I contacted technical support and they were entirely unhelpful. They said it’s “physically damage” and not covered under the warranty. Still waiting to hear back from the AD but I suspect they’re closed on Sunday. I may start a thread about this since at least one other person has had, literally, the exact same problem as I do.

May 2, 2021 at 8:55 PM Post #10,352 of 15,254
It is definitely a physical defect, but certainly not caused by you ... since the pin came off and remained in the headset. A physical defect caused by the poor quality of the cable. I didn't expect this from Sony to be honest.

May 2, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #10,353 of 15,254
It is definitely a physical defect, but certainly not caused by you ... since the pin came off and remained in the headset. A physical defect caused by the poor quality of the cable. I didn't expect this from Sony to be honest.
Yes, physical defect. But certainly not physical damage in any reasonable sense. It’d be like a car manufacturer saying that because the door handle came off when you tried to open the car door, it’s not covered under warranty. I don’t expect them to cover damage if I run into the side of my garage but if the handle comes off when I just try to open the door? That’d be absurd.

I’m optimistic that it’ll get resolved. It was purchased from an AD in March so while out of the return window, certainly something they’ll take care of. I can let them deal with Sony on the issue. I hope they’ll come through for me here.

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 3:39 AM Post #10,354 of 15,254
Yes, physical defect. But certainly not physical damage in any reasonable sense. It’d be like a car manufacturer saying that because the door handle came off when you tried to open the car door, it’s not covered under warranty. I don’t expect them to cover damage if I run into the side of my garage but if the handle comes off when I just try to open the door? That’d be absurd.
I hope you guys don't mind but I'm quietly adding these cases to my https://ier-z1r.com website.

I think the iem is awesome but it's a shame that the cables keep breaking - in a really small sample, I accept - but when it happens to you it's a problem because it damages the iem itself (unless you are brave enough to dig the sleeve out like I did with no resulting damage from that process!).

Especially when there are so many great third party cable options out there that don't seem to be causing this type of problem!

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 4:03 AM Post #10,355 of 15,254
Good job on website, Looks very clean. Did you use wordpress?

May 3, 2021 at 5:58 AM Post #10,357 of 15,254
lc-re.jpg

... and I hope this is the last time I connect a cable to the IER ...
never been so afraid to unplug a cable ...

May 3, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #10,359 of 15,254
They look great. Are they Fiio? (just spotted the logo!) I have Fiio in mine and they are awesome. Mine unplug well without leaving little bits in the monitor 😁
I replaced the excellent Fiio D with these (LC-RE) just to avoid having to attach and detach them all the time. :wink:

May 3, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #10,361 of 15,254
I hope you guys don't mind but I'm quietly adding these cases to my https://ier-z1r.com website.

I think the iem is awesome but it's a shame that the cables keep breaking - in a really small sample, I accept - but when it happens to you it's a problem because it damages the iem itself (unless you are brave enough to dig the sleeve out like I did with no resulting damage from that process!).

Especially when there are so many great third party cable options out there that don't seem to be causing this type of problem!
No problem. Where did you document them?

May 3, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #10,362 of 15,254
How dows it sound?
Honestly on the IER I preferred the D for how it brought out the treble even better, but I find this more balanced and then the interchangeability of the jacks is priceless to me. However it is absolutely no worse (I would like to see it costs twice as much) it is just more balanced.
On the IER, for me, end game.

May 3, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #10,363 of 15,254
No problem. Where did you document them?

A very understated title dropdown on the website "And not just mine!" with links to "case 2 and Case 3" here on head-fi.

I'm happy to link other cases as long as they're legitimate.

An interesting point to me (other experiences may vary) is that since I switched to using the android duckduckgo web browser (addin on firefox on pc) and started using adblockers and a decent vpn - is that - on duckduckgo my website appears at position no. 3 on a browser search whereas on google it is nowhere to be seen.

Just goes to show that money trumps reality.

Which is why head-fi.org is SUCH as useful resource to people who care (about reality).

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #10,364 of 15,254
A very understated title dropdown on the website "And not just mine!" with links to "case 2 and Case 3" here on head-fi.

I'm happy to link other cases as long as they're legitimate.

An interesting point to me (other experiences may vary) is that since I switched to using the android duckduckgo web browser (addin on firefox on pc) and started using adblockers and a decent vpn - is that - on duckduckgo my website appears at position no. 3 on a browser search whereas on google it is nowhere to be seen.

Just goes to show that money trumps reality.

Which is why head-fi.org is SUCH as useful resource to people who care (about reality).
Since there are at least 3 of us with the exact same issue, I wonder if it's time we took it to reddit/Facebook/other social media. Seems like a clear manufacturing defect. Maybe it's been resolved but without posting here, I never would have known about it.

May 3, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #10,365 of 15,254
Yeah at this point Sony should really take responsibility for this and any case should be dealt with as if it's a manufacturing defect.... because well... it is. This has happened three times now from what I've seen? Theres definitely something going on in the cable side of the manufacturing process. This could potentially impact future sales as for a luxury product of this calibre, three is more than enough times for consumers to lose trust in a product. Even I'm now a little weary about re-inserting the supplied cables to compare in the future with my go to (PW audio).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back