SONY IER-Z1R
Feb 12, 2021 at 6:35 AM Post #9,691 of 15,264
Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #9,693 of 15,264
MUST... RESIST... URGE... THINK... IMPORT... DUTY...

Edit: Just realised they don't do UK.

I'm in the UK (well Isle of Man - but same for customs/VAT purposes) and I got mine brand new and sealed from @xanlamin via this website at a great price for UK - but don't expect a warranty from Sony UK if the oem sony cable breaks/fails - despite xanlamins best efforts....

Feb 12, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #9,695 of 15,264
Amazon UK ... they do a instalment plan as well. Well, I got offered it.
Why doesn’t Amazon Canada have this... 😭

Feb 12, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #9,696 of 15,264
AUSFF is your answer.

A number of us here got ours from A2A during BFCM 2019 and shipped them home via AUSFF. In my case, it was USD1070 for the IEMs + USD65 for the express shipping (3 days to Singapore). Unbeatable.
They're on sale again for 1799 AUD on A2A.

Feb 12, 2021 at 7:38 PM Post #9,697 of 15,264
Picked up both the Z1R. Got the IER and waiting for the MDR.

This should be interesting even though the MDR isn't my cup of tea but I,ll give it a second chance.

EDIT: Is it me or headfi or my browser as there are so many spelling errors being generated when I posted.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021 at 4:34 AM Post #9,698 of 15,264
Bummer A2A ran out of stock so quick, but good news is Sony AU price matched for me, so ALL GOOD!

This, and the fantastic deal I got earlier this week on a practically brand new SXC8 cable + XL pads for my CFA Cascade, I feel I've won Headfi for the week :beyersmile: Either that, or I'm due to check in with Bassheads Anonymous any day now...

Feb 14, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #9,699 of 15,264
Got my Z1R two days ago and I'm really impressed. I had high expectations as I also have the U12t and MEST. My main concern was comfort/fit given everything that I've seen online about it. I have a large-ish collection of tips so I tried a bunch of them straightaway in addition to the ones that come in the box. I'm happy to report that the Final Type E and Spiral Dots have given me a great balance between sound quality and comfort. The Comply TS400 tips also worked well with a more relaxed treble but not as much as the others in terms of comfort/convenience.

Sound wise, here's my take on how the Z1R compares with other IEMs:
  • Bass: Z1R > MEST > U12t.
  • Tuning: U12t > Z1R > MEST.
  • Detail: Z1R > MEST > U12t
  • Comfort: U12t > Z1R > MEST
The U12t are still my favourite all-rounders but the Z1R are definitely the most fun!

Feb 14, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #9,700 of 15,264
Got my Z1R two days ago and I'm really impressed. I had high expectations as I also have the U12t and MEST. My main concern was comfort/fit given everything that I've seen online about it. I have a large-ish collection of tips so I tried a bunch of them straightaway in addition to the ones that come in the box. I'm happy to report that the Final Type E and Spiral Dots have given me a great balance between sound quality and comfort. The Comply TS400 tips also worked well with a more relaxed treble but not as much as the others in terms of comfort/convenience.

The U12t are still my favourite all-rounders but the Z1R are definitely the most fun!
Interesting that you put the Z1R ahead of the MEST for detail retrieval. I was under the impression that the MEST was a bit of a detail monster. While im here, how does the MEST and U12t pair with the SE200?

Feb 14, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #9,701 of 15,264
Interesting that you put the Z1R ahead of the MEST for detail retrieval. I was under the impression that the MEST was a bit of a detail monster. While im here, how does the MEST and U12t pair with the SE200?

Detail retrieval is a nuanced topic about these IEMs I guess. Here's my take: Z1R has more detail in the bass than the others, MEST is a very close second. MEST is super detailed in the mids, the Z1R is not too far behind though. U12t is pretty strong on clarity (macro detail) vs micro detail.

Feb 14, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #9,702 of 15,264
Here's my take: Z1R has more detail in the bass than the others, MEST is a very close second. MEST is super detailed in the mids, the Z1R is not too far behind though.

Thank you, I just saved one MEST pair's worth :). Sticking with the Z1Rs then as for me bass is where it's at!

Does anyone know, is IER-M9 a good pair to Z1R or are they too close in terms of timbre and tuning? Still thinking about grabbing a pair while on sale.

Feb 14, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #9,703 of 15,264
Thank you, I just saved one MEST pair's worth :). Sticking with the Z1Rs then as for me bass is where it's at!

Does anyone know, is IER-M9 a good pair to Z1R or are they too close in terms of timbre and tuning? Still thinking about grabbing a pair while on sale.
The tuning is quite different, If I didnt know I would say that it is a competely different iem fom different company. If you love the z1r bass, you would be dissapointed in the m9 bass (good bass for BA but cant compare to DD on the z1r). Mids: I found that the mids and seperation are better on the M9. Treble is not as extended and "airy" as the z1r. overall timbre on the M9 is better for me as the z1r sounds too mettalic/clean.

Feb 14, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #9,704 of 15,264

Is this for custom version mest ?

Feb 14, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #9,705 of 15,264
The tuning is quite different, If I didnt know I would say that it is a competely different iem fom different company. If you love the z1r bass, you would be dissapointed in the m9 bass (good bass for BA but cant compare to DD on the z1r). Mids: I found that the mids and seperation are better on the M9. Treble is not as extended and "airy" as the z1r. overall timbre on the M9 is better for me as the z1r sounds too mettalic/clean.

What source/Amp that you are using to drive z1r?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back