SONY IER-Z1R
Jan 29, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #9,647 of 15,233
First time I've heard or seen anything like this happen to them, but yeah really worrying and not satisfactory at this price. Glad you got it sorted either way (even though no help from Sony).
With how many IER-Z1Rs sold and this is also my first time hearing or seeing this happen. I wouldn't be too scared. Failures do happen and thankfully it is on the cable. This is also pretty much why we have to option to buy a new cable. If it scares you that much. You can always buy a more “traditional” MMCX cable. Since the MMCX connectors that Sony uses are built and designed in-house. I happen to change the cables on my Z1R quite frequently before as I cable rolled but I kept on going back to the stock cable now and then.

Jan 30, 2021 at 5:04 AM Post #9,648 of 15,233
With how many IER-Z1Rs sold and this is also my first time hearing or seeing this happen. I wouldn't be too scared. Failures do happen and thankfully it is on the cable. This is also pretty much why we have to option to buy a new cable. If it scares you that much. You can always buy a more “traditional” MMCX cable. Since the MMCX connectors that Sony uses are built and designed in-house. I happen to change the cables on my Z1R quite frequently before as I cable rolled but I kept on going back to the stock cable now and then.

I use a PW Audio Loki on my Z1R which uses a different locking mechanism for the MMCX so I’m not overly worried.

Jan 30, 2021 at 5:43 AM Post #9,649 of 15,233
I use a PW Audio Loki on my Z1R which uses a different locking mechanism for the MMCX so I’m not overly worried.
How is the Loki with the Z1R?

Jan 30, 2021 at 5:52 AM Post #9,650 of 15,233
How is the Loki with the Z1R?
I really like it, it’s more detailed and less bloomy. It makes the bass more refined and textured but it does lose a little of that bloomy quality that is quite nice with some music. You sacrifice that to gain better / more clear cut imaging, more air around notes and a more sure footed sound. When going back to the stock SPC it sounds like a slight step down in resolution with a more analogue sound.

Jan 30, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #9,651 of 15,233
I really like it, it’s more detailed and less bloomy. It makes the bass more refined and textured but it does lose a little of that bloomy quality that is quite nice with some music. You sacrifice that to gain better / more clear cut imaging, more air around notes and a more sure footed sound. When going back to the stock SPC it sounds like a slight step down in resolution with a more analogue sound.
I kinda wish I could try them out! Right now, I'm using the Sony Kimber cable. While I do like what it does to the sound, It just makes the top end a little too smooth. I like that it does make the vocals quite a bit more intimate and giving the sub bass quite a bit more oomph. I do like me a bit more sparkle lol

Jan 30, 2021 at 7:35 AM Post #9,652 of 15,233
I kinda wish I could try them out! Right now, I'm using the Sony Kimber cable. While I do like what it does to the sound, It just makes the top end a little too smooth. I like that it does make the vocals quite a bit more intimate and giving the sub bass quite a bit more oomph. I do like me a bit more sparkle lol
Hmm it sounds like the Loki could be just the ticket tbh. It sucks that you can't test it out but I doubt you'd have much issue shifting it if it didn't hit your preferences. I doubt it though... It's a very good cable IMO (I have 3 hahaha).

Jan 30, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #9,653 of 15,233
Hmm it sounds like the Loki could be just the ticket tbh. It sucks that you can't test it out but I doubt you'd have much issue shifting it if it didn't hit your preferences. I doubt it though... It's a very good cable IMO (I have 3 hahaha).

This guy lol

Can you send me one to try out? 😉

Jan 30, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #9,654 of 15,233
This guy lol

Can you send me one to try out? 😉
Haha I'm not sure if that qualifies as "essential travel" :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ... saying that, it's bad enough getting stuff sent into the UK atm let alone sending it out. I get mine from accessory jack, I highly recommend. Johnny is really great on the comms side of things and will sort you out.

Jan 31, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #9,655 of 15,233
I'm a sceptic coming around to the "cables make a difference” argument.

These are the 64audio silver premium cables with the 2pin/mmxc adaptor.

They have certainly engaged me with the z1r.

I'm not sure i would have spent $500 on them - they came bundled on offer...

Very nice to have them though..

IMG_20210131_160640.jpg

Jan 31, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #9,656 of 15,233
I'm a sceptic coming around to the "cables make a difference” argument.

These are the 64audio silver premium cables with the 2pin/mmxc adaptor.

They have certainly engaged me with the z1r.

I'm not sure i would have spent $500 on them - they came bundled on offer...

Very nice to have them though..

IMG_20210131_160640.jpg

I'd imagine it pairs well with the warmer source (Mojo). I have a 70% silver wire on my Z1R atm and I'm really enjoying it. I think a pure silver would be a little too much with my sources though as its already very detail orientated (SE200). I was once a cable sceptic.... those were the days haha how does it pair with Nio?

Jan 31, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #9,657 of 15,233
I'd imagine it pairs well with the warmer source (Mojo). I have a 70% silver wire on my Z1R atm and I'm really enjoying it. I think a pure silver would be a little too much with my sources though as its already very detail orientated (SE200). I was once a cable sceptic.... those were the days haha how does it pair with Nio?

Initially, I think because I was using the Nio with the silver cable shown, and the z1r with the stock cable, I wan't too impressed with the z1r.

Now I've levelled the playing field, so to speak, by using the silver with both, I'm much more impressed with the Z1R.

As you say, it has become warmer (which I like) whilst retaining all the other characteristics for which it's renowned; closer to the Nio.

And the cable hooks keep the iems nicely positioned so the sharp edges stay away from my ears. Bonus!

Feb 1, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #9,659 of 15,233
Hi. I've just ordered the pure silver Fiio LC-3.5d.

Is this the same as yours?

If so, please can you tell me how well it fits?

Thanks
Hey man . That post is very old , which you quoted there 😅

i had the best fit with z1r and campfire Smokey super litz cable ... :)

Feb 4, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #9,660 of 15,233
From my instagram feed.....

Less than 8 weeks old and the cable on my @sony #ierz1r earphones (iems) failed with the copper sleeve on the pin on one side of the cable detaching and getting stuck in the iem.

These are #sony flagship iems. Not warrantied in the UK because they came from Singapore.

This is the second #sonyaudio product failure for me the last being a headphone amp that had to go all the way back to Japan to be fixed!

No more #sony products for me. #sonyfail

IMG_20210129_144000.jpgIMG_20210129_144259.jpgIMG_20210129_144221.jpgIMG_20210129_145533.jpg

I just had a pair show up today from Crutchfield, and this exact thing happened to me, also on the left IEM. I called them immediately and they're cross-shipping me a replacement pair, but I'm not real sure I want to use the OEM cable on the new pair and risk that happening again. I dug out the broken part and threw them onto another cable while I wait, and they sound so good :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back