SONY IER-Z1R
Jan 16, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #9,603 of 15,248
Really? Doesn't the M7 have recessed sockets like the Z1R? haha did you effectively use it as a pair of plastic pliers rather than putting it between the joint?
I used normal to get in between the male and socket, then like a knife the tool gently inside in between the two and it popped easy out

Jan 18, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #9,605 of 15,248
Last edited:
Jan 20, 2021 at 5:43 AM Post #9,607 of 15,248
This is an exerpt from a (non head-fi so apologies if it is too simplistic) post I made elsewhere which might be of relevance I think to ier-z1r owners ....

In December 2020 I bought a brand new pair of Sony's ier-z1r and yesterday after closer inspection of the left connection - which was detaching from the iem rather too easily I thought - I discovered that the tiny copper sleeve which should have been on the terminus of the cable connector pin was actually in the female receptacle of the body of the iem.

Now, I had noticed this before, but assumed that the left and right pins of the connectors were different diameters by clever design - to prevent the user connecting the left side to the right iem and vice versa.

It was only because I bought some MMCX to 2Pin adapters (which didn't fit the left side), on the recommendation of a fellow head-fier (@Tristy I think), in order to use my 2 pin cables with the ier-z1r that the penny finally dropped.

Final confirmation was this; the Sonys come with not one but two sets of cables and the second pair wouldn't fit on one side either.

So, back to Sony they go!

I'll let you know how I get on!

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #9,610 of 15,248
I’ve been using my z1r’s on a LG v50. Would a WM1A be a noticeable improvement in sound quality? If so, is the difference as big as going from lg’s standard dac to quad dac?

Jan 20, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #9,611 of 15,248
I’ve been using my z1r’s on a LG v50. Would a WM1A be a noticeable improvement in sound quality? If so, is the difference as big as going from lg’s standard dac to quad dac?

My LG v40 cant drive Z1R to their great potential, I assume its the same with v50. On my DX160 balance, they sound very much different.
the dynamics are different, transient also very different, on V40 they sounded flatter, Z1R really needs juice to be shine. Let alone bass impact. Bring your Z1R to audio store to try various DAPs, with 4.4 balance connected

Jan 21, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #9,612 of 15,248
If you're switching cables out on the Z1Rs frequently, are you running the risk of damaging the connectors on the earphones? I know this is an issue with other mmcx iems such as those made by Shure..
That happened to me with the xba-z5, after just 3 or 4 cable swaps, the left side bud failed and didn't connect securely anymore

Jan 21, 2021 at 7:03 AM Post #9,613 of 15,248
Still my favorite IEM, still totally special.

0437F11C-F2E0-4DC1-90B0-9D632E9272B7.jpeg

Jan 21, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #9,614 of 15,248
That happened to me with the xba-z5, after just 3 or 4 cable swaps, the left side bud failed and didn't connect securely anymore

Scary, I will not swap anymore. it was between tianwaitian by CEMA vs ALO siliver litz.

Soundstage is expansive with ALO, it made me feel like HD800 and mids are so sweet with tianwaitian. After multiple swap settled with tianwaitian, but it would great if I an get both in a different cable.

Both these cables are much better then stock cable for me, especially imaging is on different level with tianwaitian.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #9,615 of 15,248
Scary, I will not swap anymore. it was between tianwaitian by CEMA vs ALO siliver litz.

Soundstage is expansive with ALO, it made me feel like HD800 and mids are so sweet with tianwaitian. After multiple swap settled with tianwaitian, but it would great if I an get both in a different cable.

Both these cables are much better then stock cable for me, especially imaging is on different level with tianwaitian.
Interesting. Anyone else try the Tianwaitian cable and can give their impressions? Looks like it’s only available through Ali Express, so returns can’t be easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back